276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Amazon Basics Speaker Wire - 14-Gauge, 99.9% Oxygen-Free Copper, 30,5 m

£20.64£41.28Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

A speaker wire is essentially just a cable that connects the power amplifier to the speaker to transmit electrical impulses. It does not imply that we can utilize any electrical wire at will. If you do so, you may risk damaging your speakers. Happy Tuesday, Antony. I’m sorry to see that for some reason you feel like it’s incorrect. It’s not wrong and certainly not misleading; I’ve gone to great lengths to make it more accurate and practical than other wire size guidelines out there based on hard data.

Braided cables utilize multiple individually insulated conductors (usually 22-26AWG) twisted in a pattern that helps to reduce series mutual inductance but usually at the expense of increased capacitance. Remember anytime you bring conductors closer together, the inductance gets reduced but capacitance goes up. I do appreciate these type of cable designs if they aren't overly blown out of proportion with high capacitance needing a zobel network termination to prevent amplifier oscillation for long runs. Braided cables are a fine choice provided that you aren't sacrificing resistance for the design. Some of my favorite braided cables are the mid priced cables like the 8PR or 8TC from Kimber Kable. However, some of their more expensive cables like the Bifocals exhibit lots of capacitance and are not something I'd recommend for very long runs especially because they are quite cost prohibitive and NOT worth the expense for no sonic benefit, in my opinion. You might assume that you can buy any speaker wire and enjoy the best sound output. However, that’s not the case. There’s so much you need to know about speaker wire. Essentially, the role of a speaker wire is to connect a receiver to a speaker or an amplifier to a speaker. A speaker wire works by carrying an audio signal in the form of an electric current from a sound source to a speaker.Remember, never sacrifice low cable resistance for an elaborate exotic design that promises to solve a problem that doesn't exist. Many exotic cable vendors promise you the moon but deliver cheese. Problem: Calculate power loss for 16AWG stranded pure copper wire, 4 meters length, into a 4Ω speaker load with a maximum of 300W RMS power delivered. Determine if 16AWG stranded wire is acceptable. Speaker wire quality, size, strand count, and so forth will vary from manufacturer to manufacturer, but we can use typical examples as a good and relatively accurate foundation for mathematically validating wire recommendations. Long (100ft+) speaker runs or higher power applications such as high-power 2 or 4 ohm subwoofers with a short length. It is possible to run 4-ohm speakers up to 24 feet using 16 AWG wire, while 10 or 12 AWG wire is advised for runs up to 100 feet. For lengths up to 36 feet with 6-ohm speakers, 16 AWG wire is advised, and for runs up to 150 feet with 10 or 12 AWG wire.

Copper-clad aluminum (CCA) wire has, in the last few years, become more and more common as the price of copper has gone up. It’s one of those “little things” you might not know when buying that companies aren’t telling you. A stranded wire has fewer issues when using spade or crimp connectors for inserting into speakers. Never connect extra electrical wiring from the house for the speakers, as it is not a good idea. FAQs Is oxygen-free speaker wire worth it?To get the same performance as true copper wire when buying CCA speaker wire, move up one gauge in size. For example, to replace 18 gauge copper wire, use a 16AWG or 14AWG CCA wire. Here are some suggestions to save costs because genuine copper wire is now more expensive, and most people don't drive speakers at maximum volume.

Using the amperage from (2.), calculate losses across 4 meters of 16AWG stranded wire at maximum power (maximum current): Likewise, each AWG wire gauge has an electrical current capacity (how many amps it can handle, also called ampacity sometimes).Longer speaker runs for car & home stereo speakers or short runs under 20 ft for 75-100W. Moderate power subwoofers (under 225W) with short lengths.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment