276°
Posted 20 hours ago

The Ruthless Elimination of Hurry: How to stay emotionally healthy and spiritually alive in the chaos of the modern world

£7.495£14.99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

In the cruciform kingdom, only the bad things die: image and status and bragging rights, all vanity. I live in one of the most secular, progressive cities in America, but if you were to ask me, What is the great challenge to your spiritual life in Portland? just being in the same room as our phones (even if they are turned off) “will reduce someone’s working memory and problem-solving skills.

Huge respect for the way he has rejected the pressures of public life for a better way, one that we should all take: slowing down, simplifying, and Sabbathing. I did not love the audio voice and I didn’t even agree with all the ways the author viewed the world, but and it’s a big one, I think this is a conversation we need to be having and I appreciate Comers willingness to say hard things.Silence and solitude can be difficult, because in the quiet we must face worries and fears that we may not have had courage to face before. It is that we will become so distracted and rushed and preoccupied that we will settle for a mediocre version of it. The general idea of the book is nice, however, I found some of the examples of how to be mindful kind of unrealistic and hard to actually do.

But still, it served as a relatively quick/easy compilation to consume on this very important, relevant topic. Is the busyness of all the planning and preparation details getting into you, causing anxiety, or irritation, or distraction? The gnawing questions that get me out of bed in the morning are, how do we experience life with God?While JMC offers many caveats that "this isn't legalism" that he's offering, without a clear infusion of the power of the gospel for the harried and hurried, alas the book can come across as just another self-help book with a dash of religion thrown in for good measure.

We need to extrapolate, of course, because many aspects of our situation did not exist in the first century in the Middle East. Although deliberately getting in a longer queue hurts every fibre of my body, I understand his point that we can slow down in the simplest ways. However, with the cancellation of so many events and in-person meetings, most of us find ourselves with more free time than we are used to—and also with more angst.Living as a spiritually and mentally healthy follower of Jesus in our technological, calendar-driven culture is, it turns out, quite difficult. For some, like our key-workers, these past few months have only increased busyness-levels, but for most of us it’s been the opposite. Today, you’re far more likely to run into the enemy in the form of an alert on your phone while you’re reading your Bible or a multiday Netflix binge or a full-on dopamine addiction to Instagram or a Saturday morning at the office or another soccer game on a Sunday or commitment after commitment after commitment in a life of speed. However, I really dislike his writing style and often felt annoyed by the little “relatable” things he added in.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment