276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Briefly, A Delicious Life

£7.495£14.99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Charming, original, and emotionally moving, this “deeply wild debut follows the unconventional love triangle” ( Cosmopolitan) between George, Chopin, and Blanca—a gorgeous and surprising exploration of artistry, desire, and life after death. Any changes made can be done at any time and will become effective at the end of the trial period, allowing you to retain full access for 4 weeks, even if you downgrade or cancel. Both the novel and the film of Gone With the Wind have traditionally been regarded as canonical accounts of life in the 19th-century US.

Unfortunately, the premise of a ghost falling in love with a woman was the only thing that was interesting in this book.I didn't know anything about George Sand before reading this book and I'm not a musical person so while I recognise the name Chopin, it also doesn't mean much to me. The men—slight bodies, bony, both very short, standing amongst rotting pomegranates and flies in the overgrown garden of one of the abandoned cells—were gripping each other’s faces, hands like masks.

With skill and insight, the novel follows Sand’s struggle to keep hold of her children, her romantic attachments, and her work, and shows that Chopin never faced the same difficult choices.Three hundred years earlier, I’d seen Brother Tomás with Brother Mateo in that very same garden, beard crushing against beard and the clatter of rosary beads hitting the paving stones.

It was a small apartment of three conjoined rooms with high ceilings and thick walls, a smell of damp and firewood.She and her mother find the monks in the charterhouse sexy (‘so much muscle and heft and fat and their lovely broad shoulders under their habits’), but this enthusiasm infuses everything. i tend to like historical fiction that just gives me the quiet escapism and the rich, atmosphere-focused vibes, so if you're looking for that as well as a book that plays with its use of a narrator, i would recommend this. As George and Chopin, who wear their unconventionality, in George’s case, literally, on their sleeves, find themselves in deepening trouble with the provincial, nineteenth-century villagers, Blanca watches helplessly and reflects on the circumstances of her own death (which involve an ill-advised love affair with a monk-in-training). And there are so many novels that have done an incredible job retelling historical figures' stories, Little by Edward Carey being a chief example. As George and Chopin, who wear their unconventionality, in George’s case, literally on their sleeves, find themselves in deepening trouble with the provincial, 19th-century villagers, Blanca watches helplessly and reflects on the circumstances of her own death (which involved an ill-advised love affair with a monk-in-training).

It evokes the novel's setting--Mallorca--well, with some nice occasional descriptive flourishes during the more key scenes (particularly the ones involving Chopin's music). A young man, or perhaps he was still a boy, was attempting to direct the porter leading a donkey laden with cases. Blanca, our narrator, is in love with George, George and Chopin are, of course, in love with each other (for the moment), they’re also in love with art, and then there’s George’s two children to contend with. If you do nothing, you will be auto-enrolled in our premium digital monthly subscription plan and retain complete access for 65 € per month.Faint rumbling noises growing louder: grunting, heavy objects being dragged across cobbles, the wheezing and occasional shrieks of a donkey. Secondly, I only publish reviews of books in the subgenre where I’m best known (queer romcom) if they’re glowing. Still, an unusual and exquisitely told story that has done nothing to subdue my long-standing crush on George Sand. Stevens' depiction of her characters' stay on Mallorca is pretty much the opposite of a delicious life, although it leads to a happy awakening for her queer ghost.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment