276°
Posted 20 hours ago

My Friend Walter: perfect for all fans of Horrible Histories!

£3.995£7.99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

This book follows a girl called Bess who goes to a family reunion. She meets a stranger who tells her to visit the Bloody Tower, in London. Bess sees Sir Walter Raleigh in London and Walter asks Bess if he can come and live on her estate. urn:lcp:myfriendwalter00mich:epub:bba34f90-8811-4789-b2da-b6c050c25ec4 Foldoutcount 0 Identifier myfriendwalter00mich Identifier-ark ark:/13960/t66410p6x Isbn 0749746718

And one of the major events in the book, is when Bess's gran gets ill! She falls ill after the upsetting news that the farm will have to be sold. Bess of course is distraught. But Walter helps her out, making some sort of potion which will cure Bess's gran. One of the things Walter has done is go in Will's science lab set, and its in one of the bottles from that, so Bess now knows what he was making. Bess puts that in Gran's tea, and most miraculously, Gran is cured.

Curriculum

Morpurgo added: “Storymakers and storytellers like Barrie, and like all the previous winners of this award, have given us the hope and faith children need, we need, to keep flying, have sustained us through dark and troubled times, have banished doubt. To touch the lives of children, to witness their listening and reading silence, is reward enough in itself. This is simply the icing on the cake.” It was quite funny, and I liked the aspect of Bess having a ghost friend. It wasn't my ideal book as it didn't have any cats in, apart from the one Humph chased.

Bess has always been known for making up stories - so perhaps Sir Walter was also imaginary, but the reader knows better. We get to learn about the real life of an important historical figure, rather than the basic facts (and misinterpretations) that everyone knows. This story is sweet and charming, with no real problems that are always magically solved by the end. My main reason for rating this three stars, is the confusing mix of language used by the ghost. At times, he uses early modern phrases such as “cur” and “mere trifle” and other times sounds entirely post-modern. I appreciate that for a younger audience, the obsolete language and grammar may have been more difficult to understand, but I definitely think it would have given more realism to the ghostly figure. Also, I find it a little creepy that the ghost only reveals himself as the child character holds a striking similarity to his late wife, but perhaps that’s just me reading too much into it.

A hilarious tale of history come to life, from former children’s laureate and master storyteller, Michael Morpurgo. I enjoyed this book so much that I didn’t hear my mum tell me to turn my light off and go to bed. My favourite character is definitely Walter he is very friendly and is a mystery until further into the books. Why he stole the Crown Jewels still baffles me and also why he put them in a young girls room wow In November 2016 Michael Morpurgo won the J M Barrie Award for his contribution to children’s literature.This award is given every year by Action for Children’s Arts to a “children’s arts practitioner” whose lifetime’s work has delighted children and will stand the test of time. Bess is a young girl who has no friends. She lives in her family's farm, with her older brother, younger brother, parents, Gran, and not forgetting her cheeky dog! Then one day, and invitation comes in the mail, written in curiously messy handwriting, inviting the family to a gathering at the Tower of London. Her auntie has recieved an invitation too, so because her Gran has a medical appointment, Bess tags along with her. Hello Yellow - 80 Books to Help Children Nurture Good Mental Health and Support With Anxiety and Wellbeing -

urn:oclc:799052404 Republisher_date 20120926120643 Republisher_operator [email protected] Scandate 20120921044206 Scanner scribe28.shenzhen.archive.org Scanningcenter shenzhen Worldcat (source edition) Then Bess meets a man, who introduces himself as Walter Raleigh! She;s an ancestor of him, a descendent, and Bess then decides to bring him home with her. Sir Walter Raleigh laid his cloak in a puddle for Queen Elizabeth I to walk across. Now, Bess meets his ghost and finds out he's her ancestor! How's she going to explain him to her family, especially when he breaks her brother's fishing rod, steals a horse and smokes cigars in her room? Will Sir Walter wreak havoc or save her family's home? About This Edition ISBN: Michael Morpurgo has thrilled and delighted huge numbers of young readers since becoming a children’s author in the early 1970s," Wood said. "Action for Children’s Arts is delighted to recognise Michael’s outstanding contribution by presenting him with the J M Barrie Award 2016. His work will undoubtedly, like Peter Pan, stand the test of time, making him a truly worthy recipient of this award."Thank you for uploading this, I was having real trouble having some inspiration for my castles and kings topic in English, but this has really helped and saved me for the next 2 weeks!

The presentation and lesson can be a stand alone lesson, but was made to accompany the book ‘My Friend Walter’ by Michael Morpurgo. The main focus is writing a report about the Crown Jewels, so can easily be adapted without reference to the rest of the story. i just didn't like it,it didn't interest me that much but i would still recommend it to 8-9 year olds My Friend Walter’ is a great ghostly story from Michael Morpurgo and whilst maybe not up there with his best (for me – War Horse, Kensuke’s Kingdom, Private Peaceful, An Elephant in the Garden and Alone on the Wide, Wide Sea) it is still a very well-constructed and written great short read.Former Children's Laureate Michael Morpurgo needs no introduction. He is one of the most successful children's authors in the country, loved by children, teachers and parents alike. Michael has written more than forty books for children including the global hit War Horse, which was made into a Hollywood film by Steven Spielberg in 2011. They go fishing, Bess lets Walter ride on one of the family tractors (which he does love, he declares that tractors are majesties compared to cars or something), and they have all sorts of fun together! This article about a children's novel of the 1980s is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it. But then comes the day of the sale. Walter is in the tower of London. Bess, horrified at what is happening, goes to London alone, hoping to find Walter .Before Walter left, he told her everything would be okay. Bess wants to know when and how. It is a pleasure to read this amazing book. What really interested me was that there were all kinds of

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment