276°
Posted 20 hours ago

SABRENT M.2 NVMe SSD 8TB Gen 4, Internal Solid State 7100MB/s Read, PCIe 4.0 M2 Hard Drive for Gamers, Compatible with PlayStation 5, PS5 Console, PCs, NUC Laptops and Desktops (SB-RKT4P-8TB)

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

I chose this drive over the only other 8TB SSD I'm aware of (a 2.5" SATA model), despite being QLC, for its longer warranty, large capacity, and because it allowed me to keep one of the 2.5" bays in my laptop free for another purpose. Once data has been written to the drive, it will be mostly read only with the only writes being when occasionally adding new data. Since the drive will be powered up frequently and have few writes, it should outlast the warranty without loss of data. The SSD itself uses QLC NAND. Since more data is stored per cell, the SSD will have a shorter write life than TLC and MLC SSDs. Also, since each cell is more crowded, data leakage will start happening sooner than with TLC and MLC NAND. However, the TBW rating is still high enough that most people will never come close to exceeding the the TBW rating or experience data leakage during the five year warranty period.

Once again, I am impressed by another Sabrent SSD. This and the 2TB Plus-G have been my first hands-on experiences with the brand, and I have to say that I am more than pleased with the performance and reliability (so far) of both drives. I bought this for my absurdist PC build in my podcast room. I had a lot of money and I wanted to build the most expensive PC I could buy with non-server parts (since then you could totally break the 20+K mark, I only spent 15K on it. On my Z690 board I am using the Samsung 8TBS ATA drive via USB 3.2 Gen 2 for this reason, as using a any of the lower bank of SATA ports disables those ports as the lower M.2 slots being used takes the priority. On other boards such as Z790, this may well be different and you find yourself witth half the PCIe lanes that you would otherwise have, if connecting SATA drives in conjunction with the lower M.2 slots being occupied.

The SK hynix Gold P31 is still the gold standard for laptop SSDs, especially as it has DRAM, but it’s limited to PCIe 3.0 bandwidth, isn’t always available, and is limited to 2TB of capacity. The MP44 can get twice the bandwidth, but even in a 3.0 slot, it is inexpensive for 4TB and even has an 8TB option. Other alternatives, like the Crucial P3 Plus or Corsair MP600 Core XT, are slower and use QLC. The heatsink found on the Addlink A93 and other SSDs preclude them from laptop use and can add a little cost. Otherwise, the MP44 will have some competition at lower capacities, but it is worth a look if you can find it at the right price.

Random Read (4 KB, QD32) Up to 98,000 IOPS Random Read * Performance may vary based on system hardware & configuration ** Measured with Intelligent TurboWrite technology being activated It's great if your desktop system can handle a PCIe 5.0 drive, but they are still new and expensive, so they aren't a requirement: For example, the PCIe 4.0 Samsung 990 Pro is our current choice for the best SSD overall, and the best SSD for gaming. This drive is rated for 7,450 / 6,900 MBps of sequential read/write throughput and 1.2 / 1.55 million read/write IOPS. That means less time waiting for game levels to load or videos to transcode, not to mention a snappier experience in Windows. I recommend this drive for compact, high capacity, relatively static data storage installed inside a computer. It would not be suitable for use as an external drive unless the drive was powered up frequently and mostly read rather than written to.The combination of the Phison E18 controller and 176-layer TLC flash from Micron is a match made in heaven: unrivaled peak performance and, with the right cache design as on the Gaming model, strong sustained performance. That is ideal for workstation tasks, and Inland’s drives are cheaper than competitor offerings while maintaining a decent warranty. This is a barebones drive but will get the job done. The Solidigm P41 Plus is the best budget DRAM-less M.2 NVMe SSD on the market. It’s particularly good at 2TB, rivaling the 670p, which is older but comparable. This is no surprise as Intel’s NAND and SSD division migrated to Solidigm after a sale of the company to SK hynix, so the P41 Plus is reminiscent of that excellent budget drive. We would give the edge to the P41 Plus if you can make full use of the drive, which includes total Synergy 2.0 SSD driversupport. We’d also give the P41 Plus the edge over the P3 and P3 Plus if you’re shopping for your primary drive, as it has more consistent performance, even if maximum bandwidth is lower. SK hynix’s Gold P31 is great if you’re looking to increase your laptop storage, not only to gain capacity but to gain battery life, too. While some drives may perform well against the Gold P31 in benchmarking, the SK hynix is much more power-efficient, which will lead to longer off-the-charger sessions. Laptop users who prioritize battery life should definitely put the new SK hynix Gold P31 at the top of their drive list. Additionally, the Gold P31's very strong write performance and ultra-high efficiency make it a well-rounded choice for many desktop users as well.

SATA is slowest: SATA isn't as fast as an M.2 PCIe or a PCIe add-in card, but the majority of desktops and many laptops support 2.5-inch SATA drives, and many doing typical mainstream tasks users won't notice the difference between a good recent SATA drive and a faster PCIe model. Next-generation Small Form Factor (NGSFF) is the latest SSD standard which is expected to be standardized by JEDEC in October. It succeeds the M.2 standard and can more than double the space utilization within server systems. Sequential Write Up to 530 MB/s Sequential Write * Performance may vary based on system hardware & configuration ** Measured with Intelligent TurboWrite technology being activated There are other 8TB NVMe drives out there, too, but anything considerably cheaper will be using slower QLC flash storage. Corsair's MP600 8TB springs to mind, which also comes similarly specced, warrantied and priced, and there are others, too. So your choice may well boil down to brand loyalty and/or software features in this segment. Sabrent confirmed to us that they were first to release drives of this category after commissioning Phison to develop the drives with a 1 year exclusive lead. Keep in mind also that Puget Systems recently switched to Sabrent drives for their professional workstations over Samsung.

TOPICS

Crucial's T700 is the world's fastest SSD, taking the hands-down performance lead in every performance category. That groundbreaking speed comes courtesy of the drive's PCIe 5.0 x4 connection, which offers a pathway for up to twice the throughput of PCIe 4.0 SSDs, and the Phison E26 SSD controller paired with Micron's leading-edge 232-Layer 3D TLC flash. That potent common creates an SSD that's the fastest on the market for PC game loading times. The Team MP44 is part of the vanguard for new and better DRAM-less SSDs. Newer controllers and flash are letting budget/value drives push the limits of the PCIe 4.0 interface while providing high capacities without making compromises. They can have the endurance and performance of TLC and the high power efficiency of four-channel, DRAM-less controllers, all without extra cost. Less power means less heat, and these drives are also designed to be single-sided. That combination makes the MP44 perfect for laptops. I did not encounter any heat-related speed throttling problems, something that I did observe with past Samsung SSDs. The average temperature range seemed to stay around 50-56°C during heavy use and benchmarking, which is well within its rated operating temperature and won't start throttling until 70-75°C according to Sabrent. Conclusion My only gripe is that the Sabrent Control Panel application has not seen a facelift yet, just as I mentioned in the last review. It looks like something that was created over a decade ago and its usability/features appear constrained when compared with Samsung's Magician, or Western Digital's Dashboard utilities. Sabrent have confirmed to us that a new version is in the works, but a definitive release date is unknown. Watch this space.

My laptop is running on Linux Mint 19.3 booted from an MLC NVMe drive. I have a 4TB 2.5" MLC SSD for data frequently accessed, written, edited, and deleted. Sequential Read Up to 560 MB/s Sequential Read * Performance may vary based on system hardware & configuration The WD Red SN700 doesn’t offer anything special for the general user, but is great for use in a NAS. The underlying technology is also starting to show its age, but that maturity is important for critical storage systems like a NAS where performance isn’t as much of a focus. The WD Red SN700 also doesn’t have power loss protection, although that isn’t surprising as this drive isn’t for an enterprise application. However, the warranty and rated endurance are strong, which makes this a good buy for the right usage, which in this case is in a NAS.Samsung plans to accompany its 256Gb 3-bit V-NAND-based SSD with a 512Gb version in the second half of this year to accommodate even faster processing for big data applications, while also accelerating the growth in next-generation enterprise and mid-market data centers. has become a more attractive capacity point for SSDs as time has gone on. While there are now many options available, most come with compromises of one sort or another. You may have to settle for QLC, a weaker controller, no DRAM, unreliable hardware, etc. This is not always a big deal, especially if the drive is intended to be a secondary gaming drive. In the PlayStation 5, however, extra cooling is beneficial, so it’s convenient to have a heatsink option available. At the same time, laptops favor bare drives and especially single-sided drives, the latter of which have been very rare with TLC until recently. This is worth noting for those who might be looking to replace their OS drive and have just a single 8TB for everything. Yet even so, sustained performance consistency was very good in multiple runs of the benchmarks below, as well as in heavy workload usage. CrystalDIskMark (peak)

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment