276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Pearl of the Sea

£7.495£14.99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Their book follows their life together, how they grow individually and together. How they share a deep bond and how they survive through their travels. Where is home? Where is your heart? Is it the country of your birth? Is it where you grow old, or is it some country in between? These are questions Roser and Victor, the main characters in A Long Petal of the Sea, face. They are the same questions thousands of displaced people face today. Whether escaping countries torn by war, authoritarian governments, violence, or draught, all victims have to struggle with this sense of where do we belong. Roser and Victor are forced to leave Spain, and years later, they are forced to leave Chile. Fascism and authoritarian regimes seem to follow them through the years. Enjoy an exploration of Milwaukee, long known as the “City of Steeples.” Let by a local guide, visit three churches, where you will learn about the history and architecture of these unique places of worship. To sweeten the deal, we will delve into dessert at two local chocolate shops. Savor in-store treats and shop for takeaways too.

Pearl of the Sea by Anthony Silverston | Goodreads

Anyone who was able to find a sponsor or a job we’re allowed to go free. So Elizabeth took Roser (who was still very pregnant), with her.Ahh, I loved this so much!!! The story is wonderful and heartwarming. The setting is lovely. The characters are great, and I loved all of them. Curious why we have this shelved in teen. The painkiller part? The implied sexuality of the main character? None of it was handled in such a way that putting this in juvenile graphic novels would be problematic. Maybe the painkiller part? A Long Petal of the Sea takes you to a place in history where you may have little or no experience. Compassion brews upward from allowing yourself to feel and experience another's pain. War and civil unrest create the sorrowful situations of people on the move seeking a far better existence and forcing themselves to rebuild their lives under dire circumstances. Resilience comes with guarding your heart while taking on the mantle of a new identity. The artwork is absolutely stunning. Beautiful scenery. Great movement. Every one of Pearl's dives are breathtaking. I especially loved Otto's design. It was really cool how they worked in traits of real octopuses, such as changing color and morphing their bodies. And all of Moby's expressions were perfection. There is a delicate balance of nostalgia and discovery painted over the story’s coastal town to create an absolutely charming adventure with a touch of magic and unspoken bonds. A beautiful contrast between a struggle for agency and the shifting perspective of what monsters look like to us.” —Bill Masuku, Razor Man, Captain South Africa

Pearl Seas Cruises - GREAT LAKES CRUISES Pearl Seas Cruises - GREAT LAKES CRUISES

I just can't get into this one. The historical period was specifically what attracted me to the book but it overwhelms the story- too much research, too little character- all feeding into the list-like nature of the prose. It's impossible to feel any kind of emotional connection to a catalogue of: Victor doesn’t expect Roser to ‘do-the-duty’....( a sexless marriage in other words). But loveless? ..... No....I wouldn’t say loveless....I came across Isabel Allende when I was 16 and was looking for books similar to One Hundred Years of Solitude. Somebody recommended The House of the Spirits (her first novel) to me which I read in a day and is one of my all time favourites. I've read a couple of other novels from Isabel Allende who in my opinion consistently delivers well written books often with aspects of magical realism intertwined with the rich history of Chile, and political and social insights. Raffaella Delle Donne has over fifteen years of experience in the animation industry developing and creating content for Disney, eOne, Wekids, Snipple Animation, Netflix, Baobab Studios and Triggerfish Animation Studios. She was the TV Development Executive for the Triggerfish Studios/Disney Storylab that incubated Mama K's Team 4 and co-wrote the award-winning features Adventures in Zambezia and Khumba. Raffaella is currently a writer and Executive Creative Consultant on Kiya and the Kimoja Heroes, a new preschool show slated for release on Disney.

Review of Pearl of the Sea (9781946395740) - Foreword Reviews

Aboard the 210 guest Pearl Mist, enjoy cruising to the most fascinating destinations in perfect comfort.Problem-solving through perseverance and friendship is the real win in this deeply smart and inspiring story.

PEARL OF THE SEA | Kirkus Reviews

The end of the book is a little sad and bittersweet, but not for the reasons you might think. A LONG PETAL OF THE SEA is a very timely book, because it shows how immigrants and refugees can contribute and add to a country's culture and economy, as well as the inevitability of our mortal ends, and the importance of having a life well-lived, surrounded by family. It's definitely a much better book than THE FOUNTAINS OF SILENCE, another book about fascist Spain that definitely skates over the oppression. In A LONG PETAL OF THE SEA, you feel the stakes-- and they are weighty.The medical staff had nothing with which to relieve their suffering, and could offer only water, words of comfort, and sometimes, if a dying man asked for it, a final prayer”.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment