276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Woodland Happy Families Classic Card Game for Kids | Retro Design & Illustrations | Bright, colourful & fun travel card game | Gibsons Games

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Another Enid Blyton game was published as well called Secret Seven appropriately enough based on the old game Sevens. It was made from the same inexpensive board that was later to be used for the small number of cheaper range card games which Pepys introduced. A more conventional card game was Famous Five (the first edition). Rex's main interest was in card games, because, he said, they were cheap and easy to get hold of in his early days of collecting. He is well known for his extensive knowledge of Pepys games and his book is on the bookshelves of many.

Artists were despatched to sit through endless showings of “Snow White” making drawings for the cards and Kenneth Collins, Castell Bros managing director, sat down to write the rules for the game.

Originating from the emerging Children’s Television the next game was Muffin, the naughty mule puppet. Famous racing cars, ships, railway trains, aeroplanes and race horses are here used in this pastime. Another animal game was also issued, Family Favourites, which was a reissue of the old Pets game but without the George Cansdale connection.

And then I understood. My favourite vintage Woodland Happy Families card game all shiny and new but with original Racey Helps illustrations beautifully intact. Like I said –“whoop, whoop!”. GREAT GIFT – Games are perfect for growing minds and improving your mental health. The best Christmas gift for children, friends, kids, birthdays.Ern Shaw devised another two games for Pepys in this year. There was Peter and the Wolf based on the Disney film “Make Mine Music” and Menuette a game in which the players complete a menu. All the charm of these delightful characters is reproduced in full colour from Walt Disney originals. In fact, by 1941, wartime paper restrictions were so bad that Pepys were only publishing five games namely: - Speed, Peter Pan, Kargo, Dumbo and Belisha. Historical note. In 1960 Nancy Collins, the wife of Kenneth Collins the MD of Castell Brothers, became MD of E J Larby Ltd when the owner Earnest Larby retired. H P Gibson & Sons Ltd (at last a games manufacturer) bought the rights to the existing range of Pepys games.

Just three more games would appear, two of them were based on what were originally De La Rue games of around 1900. Equipment required: 44 cards arranged in 11 set of 4, printed in colours to show animals and birds such as rabbits. Master Robin card is missing He continues to do this until he fails to obtain a card. If the person asked does not have the card requested, it is his turn to ask for cards.

SAVE 10% ON YOUR FIRST ORDER

Later editions of Woodland Snap are published by Gibson Games. Companion games of Woodland Happy Families and Woodland Old Maid were also published by Pepys Games with artwork by Racey Helps. See also: more artwork by Racey Helps→ I am not sure but strongly suspect that the artist who later drew Garden Flowers also drew these cards. She was Dora Ratman.

When Castell Bros decided to introduce card games into their range they were printed for them by Alf Cooke Ltd of Leeds. There was one more card game which I think was in preparation for Kum-Bak which Pepys later issued under their own brand name; but more of that later. Garden Flowers, as I have already mentioned, pictured by Dora Ratman, must have been a welcome addition for those who like that sort of thing but I prefer the next game;To celebrate the arrival of space travel Pepys introduced a space game, Astronaut, with pictures of Russian and American spacecraft.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment