276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Did You Hear What Eddie Gein Done?

£13.495£26.99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

But it is not the solution that we should be looking for, rather what the matter entails. If society bears the burden of creating citizens, then society is always to blame for the rise of elements with antisocial and harmful tendencies. A beautiful option, this one, as it allows for the idea that by perfecting the education of men and women we can reach the goal of producing the best human beings that Earth could ever hope to give birth to. One of the greats in the field of true-crime literature, Harold Schechter (Deviant, The Serial Killer Files, Hell's Princess), teams with five-time Eisner Award-winning graphic novelist Eric Powell (The Goon, Big Man Plans, Hillbilly) to bring you the tale of one of the most notoriously deranged murderers in American history, Ed Gein. DID YOU HEAR WHAT EDDIE GEIN DONE? is an in-depth exploration of the Gein family and what led to the creation of the necrophile who haunted the dreams of 1950s America and inspired such films as Psycho, The Texas Chainsaw Massacre and The Silence of the Lambs. This book, I came across in the library and just had to grab it. Ed Gein is a fascinating figure, the inspiration behind movies such as Psycho and The Texas Chainsaw Massacres. I went into the book knowing a very limited amount about him - partially due to the persistent folklore of a lampshade being made of human skin being a remnant of the Holocaust. Said lampshade, in spite of persistent rumors, has never been found to exist. The lampshade is in fact something that Ed Gein created, if rumors are to be taken as true... Painstakingly researched and illustrated, Schechter and Powell's true crime graphic novel takes the Gein story out of the realms of exploitation and gives the reader a fact-based dramatization of these tragic, psychotic and heartbreaking events. Because, in this case, the truth needs no embellishment to be horrifying. In a way, this book was a bit of a first for me. I have read graphic novels before, but this was the first which had true events at its heart. And, with those events being truly horrific, I was interested to see how this subject matter would be handled in this genre.

Did You Hear What Eddie Gein Done?” - Wow Cool Review: “Did You Hear What Eddie Gein Done?” - Wow Cool

This book takes Gein’s gruesome crimes out of the realms of exploitation and delivers a powerful, fact-based dramatization of the tragic, psychotic, and heartbreaking events,” said Powell. “Because, in this case, the truth needs no embellishment to be horrifying.” Did You Hear What Eddie Gein Done? is an in-depth exploration of the Gein family and what led to the creation of the necrophile who haunted the dreams of 1950s America and inspired such films as Psycho, The Texas Chainsaw Massacre and The Silence of the Lambs.Did You Hear What Eddie Gein Done? is a powerful meditation on the things that can make a person take the lives of others, and then go further. It’s a detailed and very smart take on True Crime that is interested in explaining the phenomenon that is Ed Gein. There’s horror, there’s pain, and there’s violence, but the point of it all is to consider just what it is that goes into the formation of an all-American killer. True crime writer Harold Schechter teams up with true comics artist greatness Eric Powell to bring us “Did You Hear What Eddie Gein Done?”, a morbidly compelling account of the strange, sad life of Ed Gein. I was very curious about this graphic novel (or a comic, as I will refer to this book from this point on) can tell what wasn't already known, especially to me since I already read Harold Schechter's "Deviant", an in-depth look at Gein's case. But I was pleasantly surprised. The information was true to the case (and couple inconsistencies were explained in appendixes) and didn't invent any facts or information.

Did you hear what Eddie Gein done?” (review) “Did you hear what Eddie Gein done?” (review)

The Goon’ Creator Eric Powell Shows Off True-Crime Graphic Novel ‘Did You Hear What Eddie Gein Done?’ (Exclusive) Powell's art is unique in that most of a panel could be ink wash or pencil strokes with only the most important focus getting inked. His handling of people and their body language is brilliant and rarely matched. For those who aren’t aware of the story of Ed Gein (pronounced Geen), and without giving too much of the book away, Ed was a quiet and quite well thought of (if considered harmlessly odd), resident of a small town of less than 400. The discoveries at his farm in November 1957 saw him convicted of murder, grave robbing, and evidence was presented of cannibalism, bizarre human taxidermy, and necrophile practices. Ed Gein’s crimes captured the attention of the world, and led to his incarceration in an institution for the criminally insane where he died at the age of 77 in 1984.This was my last read of 2021, and it wound up being one of my favorites of the whole year. Schechter is a true crime writer and has written some fascinating books, including a biography of Ed Gein. That knowledge and research shines in Did You Hear What Eddie Gein Done?. Among his nonfiction works are the historical true-crime classics Fatal, Fiend, Deviant, Deranged, and Depraved. He also authors a critically acclaimed mystery series featuring Edgar Allan Poe, which includes The Hum Bug and Nevermore and The Mask of Red Death. Did You Hear What Eddie Gein Done received three Ringo Awards at a ceremony in Baltimore on October 29, 2022. Schechter and Powell have created something spectacular and horrifying. Their well-researched and narratively-engrossing depiction of Ed Gein & his crimes evokes a range of responses, from pathos and humor on one end to revulsion and horror on the other.

Did You Hear What Eddie Gein Done? GRAPHIC NOVEL REVIEW: Did You Hear What Eddie Gein Done?

Harold Schechter is a true crime writer who specializes in serial killers. He attended the State University of New York in Buffalo, where he obtained a Ph.D. A resident of New York City, Schechter is professor of American literature and popular culture at Queens College of the City University of New York. Six Former Winners of the Cundill History Prize Reflect on What the Future Holds November 1, 2023 by Literary Hub I like the idea of doing bio-comics. I don’t really enjoy serial killer stuff. Especially when it feels like we’re making these awful people into a type of celebrity. Would it be right to call Gein a monster? Is he really someone who has abandoned humanity to become part of something which lies far away from our society, or is he part of what makes humankind what it is? Is the book about us or is it about a foreign element? CrimeReads needs your help. The mystery world is vast, and we need your support to cover it the way

Become a Member

First, the bad: Eric Powell, the creator of cult-favorite comic The Goon, is taking a break from his indie Eisner-winning title after just putting out the latest issue (that would be issue 13, which dropped on March 10). If you have lived in Wisconsin, as I have, you know the book Wisconsin Death Trip which makes a case for the state being one of the creepiest places on the planet (including chapters on monsters/serial killers such as jeffery Dahmer, and so on). But before Dahmer, in 1957, there was Eddie Gein, one of the most truly macabre people to ever walk the planet (oh, I know he has competition). And I admit, I have recently taken a (shallow, hypocritical) stand against the sensationalization of murder in my review of a graphic memoir, The Murder Book (Hilary Fitzgerald Campbell), a book about the author's obsession with True Crime, as I was at the same time reading Norman Mailer's Executioner's Song, about psycho-killer Gary Gilmore.

New Graphic Novel Peels Back The Story Of Infamous Wisconsin

He added: “And when my favorite true-crime author and Gein expert, Harold Schechter, enthusiastically agreed to work with me on a project, it was a dream (nightmare?) come true. The best part is we have a really unique take with in-depth information. I’m really proud of this book and I think anyone also intrigued by the darker aspects of the human psyche is really going to enjoy it.”

Success!

I am also a huge comic book fan, so when I heard that Eric Powell was producing a Graphic novel about Ed Gein in conjunction with Harold Schechter, it was like the stars had aligned.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment