276°
Posted 20 hours ago

The Sunrise: The Number One Sunday Times bestseller 'Fascinating and moving'

£4.995£9.99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

For me, the story took off in 1974 once the Georgious and Ozkans were trapped in the city and fighting to survive. I assume that the rats and the mice don’t bother to go in there, because there can’t be any food left.

Victoria Hislop - Wikipedia Victoria Hislop - Wikipedia

Inspired by hearing about her late husband Gerry's letters, the club wants Holly to help them with their own parting messages for their loved ones to discover after they're gone. Two neighbouring families, the Georgious and the OEzkans, are among many who moved to Famagusta to escape the years of unrest and ethnic violence elsewhere on the island. And as she grows in power, she muses that “not even Odysseus could talk his way past [her] witchcraft. One of the best things about this novel is the way Hislop depicts the growing teamwork, love, respect, and trust which two families from opposing sides of a war manage to establish.This story brought it all back to me, an island divided where once Turkish and Greek Cypriots were friends, neighbours and even family. Would the story be so good that it brought back memories of a time that was painful and sad, but poignant and beautiful enough to endure? He and his family were forced to flee their house, empty-handed, running across open countryside towards a cave, dodging bullets being fired from an airplane. Adroitly plotted and deftly characterised, Hislop's gripping novel tells the stories of ordinary Greek and Turkish families trying to preserve their humanity in a maelstrom of deception, betrayal and ethnic hatred. A few passages coil toward melodrama, and one inelegant line after a rape seems jarringly modern, but the spell holds fast.

The Sunrise – Victoria Hislop The Sunrise – Victoria Hislop

The Lowther visit is Victoria’s only northern tour date, so it’s a rare chance to hear her speak about her new book, The Sunrise. The writing was brilliant and spare and I was completely caught up inside the woman’s life and, indeed, her mother’s. The story of conflict and its consequences of course has great relevance today, with the current troubles in Gaza, Iraq and Ukraine. Why are there numerous UN decisions in favour of the Greek Cypriots and against Turkey who, after all, invaded the country and still ILLEGALLY holds 37 of the total island?Hannah’s new novel is an homage to the extraordinary courage and endurance of Frenchwomen during World War II. Publication information is for the USA, and (unless stated otherwise) represents the first print edition.

The Sunrise - Victoria Hislop - My Reading Corner The Sunrise - Victoria Hislop - My Reading Corner

Two neighbouring families, the Georgious and the Ozkans, are among many who moved to Famagusta to escape the years of unrest and ethnic violence elsewhere on the island. When the father Nina never knew existed suddenly dies, leaving behind innumerable sisters, brothers, nieces, and nephews, Nina is horrified.

I feel like I’m licking my fingers and putting them in a wall socket, she says, pointing vaguely at the wall of the café: “I’m going to have some electric shocks, for sure”. She was not able to go to Famagusta, the city is still closed off, and had to be content with looking through the wire fence.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment