276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Occult London (Pocket Essentials (Paperback))

£4.995£9.99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

While a rich abundance of wildlife and a strategic riverside base would have attracted many different colonies of people, one wonders how the ancients truly saw their landscape, and how many were drawn here due to the distinctive snake-like curvature of the River Thames. In commissioning the work, George III was creating his personal observatory and meridian, despite the fact that the official and Royal Observatory – and meridian, the naval of the country – had been established in Greenwich a hundred years earlier. The architects of the Restoration, including Wren and in particular Nicholas Hawksmoor, have been studied for the underlying principles in their designs which are believed to derive from the Cabbala and the "sacred measurements" of the biblical Temple, with Wren's pupil Hawksmoor suspected of incorporating a mesh of occult symbolism into his churches.

Also included are instructions for a series of four walks covering features of occult significance for the Elizabethan, 18th-century, Fin de Siécle, and contemporary periods; as well as an A-to-Z geographic dictionary of London's most resonant occult locations. En conséquence, toutes les commandes passées en ligne entre le 26 et le 31 janvier seront retardées. Further, Wren’s student, Nicholas Hawksmoor, followed in the occult tradition by placing Egyptian obelisks on top of churches, forming, in the estimations of some, a pentagram on the ground across London. Watkins Books is situated on Covent Garden’s Cecil Court, a mecca of rare books and fine art prints.The Theosophical Society, inspired by Madame Blavatsky (1831 – 1891), introduced the notion that the evolution of mankind was governed by a chosen elect known as a ‘brotherhood’. The cult is thought to be Roman or Persian in origin and the name ‘ mi-it-ra‘ has been found inscribed in a 1400 BCE peace treaty between the Hittites and the kingdom of Mitanni in Northern Syria. Miraculously, the stunning edifice survived the bombings of a world war, and it is no wonder that Prime Minister Winston Churchill addressed his staff each morning with the pensive question; “Is Saint Paul’s still standing?

Similarly, albeit over a thousand years later, a golden-horned, apparently ceremonial Viking helmet was discovered in the Thames, near Waterloo. Valery was highly communicative and resourceful in helping me plan my proposal to my now fiancé at the end of this tour. Unearthing the secret city and its forgotten inhabitants, this rediscovery encompasses a historical panorama from the Elizabethan age to the present day, introducing the magic of Dr. Like the Masonic rituals that would be conducted some fifteen hundred years later in London’s Grand Lodge, Mithraism included ritual meals and a secret handshake. The book charts London’s mysterious psychogeography, explores its myths and legends, and provides a gazetteer of its most resonant locations.Cloverley also managed to maintain overarching themes and ideas while exploring individual people and places. Her pace was perfect and she was very knowledgeable about the history of Christmas traditions in England! To my shame I know relatively little about London's occult history, even considering that half my family are from there and I was born there. This is not a reference to the ninth-best song ever written by John Squire, but rather the catchphrase of Aleister Crowley.

In 1769 George III anxiously awaited the completion of an alchemist observatory in the London Borough of Richmond upon Thames. The crypts are of one of the largest in Europe, and seeing the huge amounts of bones, coffins and gravestones is a definitive glimpse into London’s sinister and formidable past.The purple and gold exterior contains a multitude of gems, stones, pendants, oils, compasses, cards, sundials, bracelets, interesting zodiac and and of course horoscopes and astrology books. The dog-like figure with wings fell into a local river, survived and ended up in the Thames, near the point at which Caesar had crossed. Come the Second World War an urban myth arose in which British witches were said to have gathered to assist Winston Churchill in deterring Hitler from advancing on Britain. Or peruse the upcoming events for talks such as Women’s Suffrage and the Occult, a variety of tarot-reading classes (beginners welcome) and introductions to practical candle magic.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment