276°
Posted 20 hours ago

The Bible in Cockney: Well bits of it anyway

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Book of Esther• Book of Ezra• Book of Judges• Book of Ruth• Books of Chronicles• Books of Kings• Books of Samuel• Book of Joshua• But how successful these versions are at doing that is another question. The makers of the Bible Illuminated claim it has increased sales of Bibles by 50% in Sweden - though we are not told over what timescale. A version that could achieve such figures in the UK would be one of the most surprising Bibles yet. I'm from Turkey. I wish they would do the same for the Koran, make it more friendly and easy to read with lots of photos. Perhaps the most surprising aspect of this new wave of Bibles is how sympathetic the church is to people messing about with its sacred scriptures, whether in wording or binding, no doubt reasoning that there can be some good in anything that gets people hearing its stories.

Abel• Cain• Isaac• Ishmael• Jacob• Joseph of Arimathea• Joseph (Old Testament)• Mary (mother of Jesus)• Noah• Paul of Tarsus• Mary Magdalene• Lot• Goliath• Nephilim• Moses• YHWH• Amalekites• Baal• King David• Abraham• Satan• Joseph (husband of Mary)• God• Jesus• Asherah• Nimrod• Habakkuk• Adam and Eve• Herod• Peter the Apostle• Pontius Pilate• Jezebel• Tamar• Judas Iscariot• Well, that was it. Over the next few weeks and months, all the national papers were interested, as were TV stations, BBC News, ITV News and more. With all that publicity, I received a letter from BRF showing interest in my idea, and the rest, as they say, is history.Mary Magdalene• New Testament• Mary (mother of Jesus)• Joseph of Arimathea• Paul of Tarsus• Good Samaritan• Authorship of the New Testament• Magi• John the Baptist• Principalities and powers• Joseph (husband of Mary)• Nag Hammadi library• Messiah• Jesus• Gospel of Barnabas• Peter the Apostle• Pontius Pilate• Judas Iscariot• Book of Revelation• I love these alternative presentations - it's just like what Jesus did, He went into the countryside and told people the Good News by using their language and culturally appropriate stories, these new examples are our culture's ways of expression, so in my opinion it is doing what Jesus said 'God and preach the Gospel to all nations.' The rhyming slang version of the Bible was written by Mike Coles, an RE teacher in Stepney, and started life as stories he told to his classes. In it, Jesus feeds "five thousand geezers" with "five loaves of Uncle Fred and two Lillian Gish". The Lord's Prayer morphs from "For thine is the kingdom, the power and the glory" to "You're the Boss, God, and will be for ever, innit?" At first the Bible was a collection of scrolls, then illustrated handwritten volumes. When printing was invented they were produced in Latin with pictures. Later they were published in plain closely printed text, in the common language, to get them into as many people's hands as cheaply as possible."

This less-than-reverent online version by Brendan Powell Smith tells stories from the Bible using Lego. It started life in 2001 with stories from Genesis and today contains 391 stories with 4,214 illustrations. Though it is sometimes satirical or tongue-in-cheek, it is often used by churches and Sunday schools, and it's one of the versions that the Bible Society has welcomed as connecting people with the Bible in a new way. Goliath• Tamar• Tower of Babel• Abel• Joseph (Old Testament)• Firmament• Baal• Noah• Isaac• Ishmael• Amalekites• Curse of Ham• Jacob• Sodom and Gomorrah• Ezekiel's wheel• Lot• Nephilim• G'Tach• Joseph was Imhotep• Moses• Global flood• Cain• Gibeah• Abraham• Old Testament• Incubus and succubus myths• Satan• King David• List of actions prohibited by the Bible• Serpent seed doctrine• Leviathan• Messiah• Mark of Cain• Asherah• Nimrod• Sirach• Jezebel• Adam and Eve• Moloch• Book of Joel• Garden of Eden• Torah• Book of Deuteronomy• Book of Exodus• Book of Genesis• Book of Leviticus• Book of Numbers• Book of Zechariah• If it gets the good news out to people, and those people give their lives to Christ, then I am all for it. Those that believed are command to preach the gospel to all of creation, and I am sure God allows them to use their creativity to do so.

Well, there's a planetful of literature out there debunking the Bible, so why not have the other side of the story set out in a contemporary and "hip" way? Next thing might be adverts on the sides of buses! Here, he retells nine stories from the Old Testament, and translates Mark's Gospel verse by verse. He ends with the Lord's Prayer-"the prayer that Jesus taught 'is chinas"--which could leave traditionalists writhing in their pews: "You're the Boss, God, and will be for ever, innit?"

As I'm an artist as well as a Christian, I like them. One of our Sunday school kids has a manga bible. I've also bought a version of the Graphic bible. People are more likely to read a glossy magazine format, than something too wordy. As long as general doctrine isn't compromised. Jesus got up from his little feather and shouted at the wind, “Oi, be quiet!” and he said to the waves, “Oi, be still!” The wind suddenly died dahn, and it became really calm. Jesus then said to his chinas, “What is it with you lot? Why were you all so frightened? Do you still not have faith?” If you're looking for an alternative way into the Bible, there's no shortage of versions to choose from. Here are some of the more unusual:Book of Daniel• Book of Ezekiel• Book of Isaiah• Book of Lamentations• Books of the Minor Prophets• Book of Jeremiah•

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment