276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Tales of the Cryptids: Mysterious Creatures That May or May Not Exist (Darby Creek Publishing)

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Nain Rouge of Michigan, a fierce red goblin that has been spotted before every major city disaster in Detroit Charlotte Bridger Drummond is an independent, adventurous, and freethinking mother of five sons who made a living writing women's adventure stories in the early 1900s. She did this to make money. On one day, a little girl gets lost in the woods, and Charlotte decides to help look for her. She ends up getting lost herself, and she comes face-to-face with a group of Sasquatch. This book is written as Charlotte's diary entries. It talks about what the real differences are between wilderness and civilization. Devolution by Max Brooks

Cryptids | J. W. Ocker | 9781683693222 The United States of Cryptids | J. W. Ocker | 9781683693222

A lot of times, you hear somebody say, “I saw Bigfoot.” You immediately think, “Oh, this guy’s a little bit off right here. They think they saw this creature that probably doesn’t exist.” But when I hear somebody say that, besides thinking, “Oh, I want to hang out with this guy,” I hear a sense of wonder. What he means is, “I’m hoping that the world has more surprises for us.” If we’ve already cataloged everything on this planet, that’s a sad day, right? That’s a sad day when the world has no more new wonders for us. So really, the pursuit of cryptids is just the pursuit of wonder. We’re hoping for something new. And even if those things never come to pass, and you never find a pukwudgieor you never find these other cryptids, you still spend time hoping and really relying on wonder. I think it’s kind of a beautiful thing. I’ve seen many of these places personally. If you tell me there’s a hodag statue in Wisconsin, I want to see it with my own eyes, same as if you told me there was an actual hodag in Wisconsin. In South Dakota, I took selfies with the world’s largest chainsaw bigfoot sculpture. In Vermont, I hiked an icy mountaintop to find Wampahoofus Trail. In Ohio, I climbed an ancient mound shaped like an underwater panther. I have been to many cryptid museums and gift shops, and I have a shelf full of souvenirs to prove it. I sometimes joke that when I say I’m hunting cryptids, what I mean is that I’m driving to a town to drink a craft beer named after one. But I did also venture into their territories. After dark, I entered the old cement bunkers in the West Virginia forest that are the lair of the Mothman. I boated from New York to Vermont across Lake Champlain looking for sinuous humps in the water. I walked through an Arizona canyon that skinwalkers are known to haunt—but only after I drove to town to see if they had any craft beers named after them.Batsquatch of Washington, a winged bigfoot that is said to have emerged from the eruption of Mount Saint Helens

The United States of Cryptids: A Tour of American Myths and The United States of Cryptids: A Tour of American Myths and

Here's a book series for young people, but this time it's broken down into deeper dives into one animal at a time. In each book in the Behind the Legend series, we look at a different creature or monster from history through a scientific lens and think about whether or not they could be real based on accounts of sightings and other evidence. Nessie and Bigfoot are two of the subjects of this book series, which also talks about mythical creatures that aren't just cryptids. Fiction Books About Cryptids Dear Yeti by James Kwan I love folklore, so naturally, I also love cryptids, since they're basically the scary story versions of modern folklore. Which is precisely what I enjoyed about The United States of Cryptids.”—BoingBoing It’s this movie from the 80s starring John Lithgow where this family in Seattle hits a Bigfoot and then takes them home and he becomes part of the family. It’s a comedy, and you can only do that movie with Bigfoot. If you tried to do The Enfield Horror and the Hendersons, which is a three legged monster-monster thing, or The Lizard Man of South Carolina and the Hendersons, it wouldn’t be a funny, family-friendly comedy. It’d be a horror show. I think the favorite thing I learned about was the Silver Lake Serpent in New York. This is a pretty typical story: People see a creature in their local lake, it’s reptilian, serpentine. There’s a few twists where the witnesses sign affidavits to say they saw something, and then people come in with spear guns to try to catch it. But then, the end of that story is, a few years later, a local hotel burns down, and in the hotel, they find the ruins of a sea serpent—metal wires and bladders and stuff. So it was a hoax. Which again, is pretty typical.Loren Coleman is a well-known American cryptozoologist who has written many books about the subject and even built a museum in Portland, Maine, called the International Cryptozoology Museum. This encyclopedia, which was written with Jerome Clark, a writer who likes to write about the mysteries of the universe, gives an overview of cryptids, animals that haven't been found yet, and the people who study them. In the Valleys of the Noble Beyond: In Search of Sasquatch by John Zada There are a couple of things. There’s a weird relationship between science and belief in America. We go through periods of extreme belief in religion, then we’ll go through periods that are more secular, then we’re trying to do both at the same time. Other cultures are better at embracing the spiritual side, so monsters to them are kind of like, of course there’s monsters.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment