276°
Posted 20 hours ago

The Marriage Act: The unmissable speculative thriller from the author of The One

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

I think from my POV because I’d read The Marriage Pact by Michelle Richmond this theme was sort of explored before, like I say, not exactly, but similar. Still, I always enjoy the time I spend in this world that John Marrs has dreamed up-probably because it’s even more terrifying than the one we are currently living in!! I love this author’s books,ever since ‘The One’ I have eagerly awaited every new book and enjoyed them,'The One’ has always remained my favourite……until I read this….written in the same formula,each chapter relating to a different character and each chapter left on a cliffhanger,superbly done and had me transfixed the whole way through

The Marriage Act is situated in the not-too-distant future in Britain. It is a time and place where marriage is at the forefront, claiming to be the fix to an ailing economy and other social problems. Marriage is considered as essential and those who chose not to enter into this arrangement are penalised for their single status preference. The Marriage Act follows four couples very closely as they negotiate a world of constant surveillance and monitoring. In this society of forced control, power and dominance, who will survive? John Marrs brain never ceases to amaze me. How he comes up with some of these futuristic storylines over and over again is just crazy. And the scary thing is that, it always feels like it could happen in the not so distant future. Always entertaining and surprising, The Marriage Act is another winner for me. A] smart Orwellian thriller set in a near-future U.K. where the financial impact of several pandemics has led to drastic measures... Marrs builds on techno-dystopian ideas explored in prior books to craft a scarily plausible world. Readers will be riveted." — Publishers Weekly Feel free to invite some friends to join our Round Table community!http://www.goodreads.com/group/invite_members/26989-goodreads-authors-readers The One has been translated into 30 different languages and is to be turned into an eight-part Netflix series starting in autumn 2020.I have to admit-there are very FEW likable characters, and one counselor (Jeffrey) who I absolutely detested, so I found the premise more intriguing than the relationships being monitored. After working as a journalist for 25-years interviewing celebrities from the world of television, film and music for national newspapers and magazines, he is now a full-time writer. I find Marrs' near future sci-fi thrillers so addictive. Highly implausible, but impossible to put down. We will know if you fail, because if you upgrade to a Smart Marriage, we will fit your home with a listening device. We will daily analyze your relationship and send marriage advice and support.

A scarily plausible alternative future with a truly twisted narrative. Tensely plotted and terrifyingly imagined.”—Harriet Tyce, bestselling author of Blood Orange This is John Marrs' 10th book, I've read five of them and I still have two of them on my shelf 'to read'. You could say I'm a fan! Brilliant writing, John Marrs has a sure winner with this,it is one of the best books I have ever read This was DEFINITELY ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️/5 stars for me!! (Like I said, if you loved The One, you will love this one too) But four couples are about to discover just how impossible relationships can be when the government is monitoring every aspect of our personal lives, monitoring every word, every minor disagreement…And it will use every tool in its arsenal to ensure everyone will love, honour and obey!What’s the catch? Well, I dare say if you don’t mind the presence of Audite which monitors and listens in 24/7, registering any marital problems and then sending in a relationship responder, then there isn’t one. However, if you don’t want the control or manipulation then you might consider joining FFA – Freedom for All. The novel follows the progress of several couples who may or may not have signed the marriage act in this multilayered plot which presents a nightmarish, frightful vision of a possible future where power over an individual seems absolute. I guess everyone searches for the perfect mate, the perfect, partner one who would compliment you in everyday life. Truthfully I really didn't give two rats asses about any of characters. I found myself annoyed by their selfishness. Corrine was a massive hypocrite who embodied: "how dare I face the consequences of my own actions." Noah should've been single, forever. Jeffrey and Roxi needed in-patient psychiatric care. Owen and Luca were inconsequential. Mitchell was a Disney villain (I literally pictured Elon Musk at times). Oh yeah, forgot about Arthur. He was a blend between inconsequential but also needing therapy. Britain. The near-future. A right-wing government believes it has the answer to society’s ills—the Sanctity of Marriage Act, which actively encourages marriage as the norm, punishing those who choose to remain single. A scarily plausible alternative future with a truly twisted narrative. Tensely plotted and terrifyingly imagined." —Harriet Tyce, bestselling author of Blood Orange

Ok and then the ending. The last 15% or so was straight out a Scooby Doo episode. Lots of last minute hail marys and happenstance to make everything wrap up neatly and conveniently. The Christmas Love Letters – Sue Moorcroft | Book Review | #TheChristmasLoveLetters @SueMoorcroft @AvonBooksUK @rararesources From the bestselling author of The One, now an eight-part NETFLIX series. Set in the same world as The One, The Marriage Act is a dark, high-concept thriller. It’s much more than Big Brother is watching you. ….hearing you, judging you oh and don’t forget, controlling you, life and marriage. Britain. The near-future. A right-wing government believes it has the answer to society’s ills – the Sanctity of Marriage Act, which actively encourages marriage as the norm, punishing those who choose to remain single.This title will be out in January 2023, but I just couldn't wait to read it so here's my first Netgalley review for 2023! The novel follows various people/couples and their differing experiences and situations surrounding this Marriage Act. As in the previously mentioned books, the number of characters is a bit overwhelming at first. I almost felt like I needed a chart to keep them all straight, but after a bit I got the hang of it. There were certain characters I was rooting for, others I downright hated, and others that I wasn't sure about. There are a few surprise twists thrown in, but overall this is an intriguing look at the insidious nature of technology. Even though many of these situations seem outrageous and like they would never happen, Marrs states in his author notes at the end that some of them are actually happening now. It wouldn't be a stretch for that slippery slope to extend to the others.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment