276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Juliet Takes a Breath

£8.495£16.99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

The main character, Juliet Milagros, is a 19-year-old Latina who has recently started identifying as a lesbian. Juliet Takes a Breath" Author Gabby Rivera On Inspiration, Queer Representation and Racism In Publishing". This is the story of a lesbian, Puerto Rican girl from the Brox, who wants to follow her mentor who happens to be a granola hippie feminist white woman who has white privilege coming out of her ears, and doesn't always realize it.

The pacing: The Graphic Novel is an abridged version of the main book, so this moved from plot point to plot point and felt a little bit too rushed. As Juliet sinks deeper into her life, however, she realizes that Harlowe is just like the project she sent Juliet to work on—pieces of paper scattered throughout, words that sound powerful but have lost their meaning or have no substance, disorganized and exploitative. Reading Juliet Takes a Breath by Gabby Rivera was one of the most positive, transformative, illuminating experiences I’ve had this year. Harlowe is the feminist guru of the day, with her incredibly popular book about the Power of the Pussy, which is more of a rah-rah girl-power self-help book that blithely claims to be for every woman but is really for every white woman. Juliet must confront and explore how her sexuality, gender and ethnicity intersect and that exploration is something so rarely seen in YA.We can decide whether we want to love one person for life, find a good thing with someone that opens itself up to several other love things with other beautiful humans, or something else entirely.

There is a nonbinary character in a few scenes at the beginning and a trans woman at the end, but since Harlowe's particular brand of awful white feminism is incredibly vagina-based I wish that had been addressed a bit more. The book is a bit of a fantasy, where everything that's wrong gets solved, it all ties up a bit too neatly.I live this damn struggle every day and Gabby Rivera managed to perfectly capture it in less than 300 pages. Despite being confident in her identity and proud of loving herself as a fat woman with asthma, she still receives the typical phrases from her mother who's in denial— "it's just a phase"—and often craves the support that a community can bring. Me encantó la forma en la que varios temas se llevan a cabo, como la diferencia que existe entre la experiencia de alguien blanco y la de alguien racializado. You can see both of them hurting each other and at the same time reaching out for each other, trying to be heard and loved.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment