276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Destination Fabulous: Finding your way to the best you yet

£10£20.00Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Finally a book that challenges our tedious fixation with youth and turns the old rules about ageing upside down and inside out. With practical advice and spiritual insights, Destination Fabulous offers the kind of life-affirming guidance for womanhood I only wish I had known when I was 20.’ Chioma Nnadi, vogue.com Equity release may involve a lifetime mortgage or a home reversion plan. To understand the features and risks, ask for a personalised illustration. From the Fashion Director of the London Times comes a wise and entertaining guide to making the most of life as a grown-up woman. When using any of our marketplaces – e.g. jobs, courses, energy comparison etc. We may receive money from third parties who are listed on our marketplaces e.g. an employer paying to advertise a job, or a course or energy provider paying a commission to us. Anna Murphy also loves the facial oils from Alexander Soveral and Carole Maggio’s Facercise® routine. There is so much to learn from this book in this chapter alone. She goes on to give actual make-up choices and tips. Of course, she cannot advise you on the colours you choose however, she has spoken and learned from some of the best make-up artists in the world how best to enhance an older face.

Destination Fabulous by Anna Murphy | Waterstones Destination Fabulous by Anna Murphy | Waterstones

I totally agreed with the author on issues of growing older with no or minimal medical or cosmetic intervention. I would be too worried to have anything done to my face so I embrace my wrinkles! However, I wasn’t as interested in her fashion advice. I’ve never really been into fashion and a lot of the companies she mentioned have prices way outside the average women’s price range I felt. Many of the women she suggests that readers look up to see whose style inspires them are indeed very stylish whatever their age. But I couldn’t help but notice that they were all very slim. Perhaps it’s easier to be stylish if you are confident about your body shape and size. And on that note, I won’t be standing in front of a mirror with no clothes on to admire myself, thank you very much! From the Fashion Director of The Times comes a wise, inspiring and invigorating guide to making the most of life as a grown-up woman – from the practical (how to dress your best) to the existential (how to feel your best). Full of uplifting advice, practical wisdom and kind intelligence: I certainly felt more fabulous after reading it.’ Elizabeth Day Perhaps the most important thing I have learned when it comes to appearance is that looking your best self is, more than anything, about what is going on inside. The more fully realised you are, the more you find your purpose, the more that will shine out of you and the better you will look.’ Anna Murphy is all about being yourself and growing old naturally by letting what is within shine out; thus, your age is irrelevant. It’s not about denying the ageing process or attempting to erase its signs. Nor is it about letting everything go, either. It’s about balance – the possible and the present. And it’s about the future youwant.

Anna then moves on to your face in the chapter, Embracing Your Face. She is not a proponent of tweaking your face as she has seen how women eventually end up with a strange face rather than a youthful one. She doesn’t judge anyone who goes down this road. However, she does judge society for making us believe wrinkle-free is more lovable. At 50, Anna Murphy, Fashion Director at The Times, feels more visible than at any point in her life to date. Her new book, Destination Fabulous, is the toolkit you need to embrace your age and celebrate the wisdom and inner beauty that comes with it. Destination Fabulous is not about impossible goals. It’s not about denying the ageing process, nor attempting to erase its signs. It’s not about letting everything go, either. It’s about balance. It’s about the possible and the present. How do you lift and smooth your face naturally? Should you go grey and, if so, how? How do you deal with menopause? Anna combines her knowledge from years of writing about fashion and beauty with her openness to the alternative ways of thinking found in disciplines such as yoga and Chinese medicine.

Destination Fabulous by Anna Murphy | The home of non-fiction Destination Fabulous by Anna Murphy | The home of non-fiction

I’m a bit conflicted about this book. On the one hand, it is full of fantastic advice for women like myself in their fifties. There are so many positive messages about learning to love yourself and making life the best it can be for you. On the other hand, I felt a lot of the advice was idealistic and not achievable for everyone. Many women have challenges in their lives which mean they simply cannot put themselves first however much they might want to or cannot afford to follow some of the advice given in the book. Talking of cliché busting, going gray has turned out to be one of the most visible acts of my life to date. I lost count of how many people warned me not to stop dyeing my hair when I threatened it in my early 40s. I am so glad that I didn’t listen to them. These days I am thrilled—and I have to admit, flabbergasted—to say that I have since lost count of how many strangers, men and women of all ages, have come up to tell me how much they love my grays. I rate the nasties-free Living Proof hair range, since I haven’t had any issues with that chemical-induced yellowish tinge that used to be an occasional problem. What gray hair needs more than anything is as much moisture as possible. My ultimate hero product is the brand’s Intense Moisture Mask in its No Frizz range, which you are supposed to leave in for 5 minutes, but which I leave in for 15. At 50, Anna Murphy feels more visible than at any point in her life to date. Her new book, Destination Fabulous, is the toolkit you need to embrace your age and celebrate the wisdom and inner beauty that comes with it. I loved this book I felt I should be punching the air and shouting ‘yes’ at the end of every chapter. I loved chapter 3, Saying Goodbye, Saying Hello. It fed into my inner Buddhist. I am a true amateur to Buddhism, but I am always aspiring. Anna Murphy is an advocate of saying goodbye to your younger self, younger face, and younger body. This is not a bad thing if you embrace the new one. I agree I have no desire to be young again. I love the age I am now. And this chapter is followed by How (And Why) to Live in Joy. Obviously, in the fashion chapter, you could not ask someone more qualified to give their tips and secrets. She lists the women that inspire her, from Iris Apfel to Claire Hornby (founder of Me+Em– one of our favourite fashion brands).At 50, Anna Murphy, Fashion Director at The Times , feels more visible than at any point in her life to date. Her new book, Destination Fabulous , is the toolkit you need to embrace your age and celebrate the wisdom and inner beauty that comes with it. It’s not about impossible goals. It’s not about running a marathon (unless you want it to be). It’s not about denying the ageing process, nor attempting to erase its signs. It’s not about letting everything go, either. It’s about balance. It’s about the possible and the present. And it’s about the future you want. Starling said: “I’ve long admired Anna Murphy’s joyous, intelligent approach to fashion and the power of clothes but it was her brilliant Times article ’This is What 50 Looks Like’ that inspired me to approach her about Destination Fabulous. The wide‐ranging, thoughtful advice she offers in this beautifully written book will be invaluable to women at any stage of life.” Publisher Alison Starling acquired world rights in all languages directly from the author. It will be published on 2nd March.

Destination Fabulous by Anna Murphy | Hachette UK

I can say that I have never written as many notes about a book as I have about this one! This is partly because my friend who chose this for us to read left little challenges or questions throughout the book for us to think about. For example, she encouraged us to think of something we could do together for fun and fitness, to reassess our wardrobes or think of a new hobby we might want to take up. What a joyful ride through territory that could be dismal and anything but joyful. Anna Murphy is wise and so very positive that reading her is like happiness itself." How do you lift and smooth your face naturally? Should you go grey, and, if so, how? How do you deal with the menopause? Anna combines her knowledge of conventional approaches with her openness to the alternative ways of thinking found in disciplines like yoga and Chinese medicine. For her natural is always best. A joyous celebration of the pleasures of growing older, and an empowering manifesto for changing our attitudes to age.’ Justine Picardie

The synopsis reads: “At 50, Anna Murphy feels more visible than at any point in her life and her new book offers a wise and inspiring guide to making the most of life as a grown‐up woman, from the practical (how to dress your best) to the existential (how to feel your best). We live in a society that seems to want us to be afraid of growing older. But imagine if getting older could be the greatest thing that ever happened to you. An encouraging and exhilarating celebration of ageing. Full of life-wisdom for mind, body and spirit.’ Victoria Hislop A witty, warm, wise and illuminating guide to how to be your best self, inside and out. Deliciously upbeat and brimful of positivity, it’s a perfect roadmap for the years ahead. I loved it.’ Mariella Frostrup Mitchell Beazley, part of the Octopus Publishing Group, has acquired Destination Fabulous: Finding your way to the best you yet by Anna Murphy, fashion director of the Times.

Destination Fabulous’ turns the rules of ageing upside down ‘Destination Fabulous’ turns the rules of ageing upside down

Equity release may impact the size of your estate and it could affect your entitlement to current and future means-tested benefits. How do you lift and smooth your face naturally? Should you go grey, and, if so, how? How do you deal with menopause? Anna combines her knowledge from years of writing about fashion and beauty with her openness to the alternative ways of thinking found in disciplines such as yoga and Chinese medicine. For her natural is always best.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment