276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Expectation: The most razor-sharp and heartbreaking novel of the year

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Just see, et hoolimata kõigest suutsid nad lõpuks siiski oma ootustega ja purunenud lootustega rahu teha. Left me with thoughts about my youth and now my ‘old’ stage of life, so many changes but still passion for what matters to me. Hannah becomes the deputy director of an NGO, marrying Nathan, Lissa’s childhood friend, apparently the perfect couple. Anna Hopes Roman, übersetzt von Eva Bonné, greift dieses Erwartungs-Motiv auf ganz eindringliche Weise auf, sie lässt uns Lesende ihren drei Protagonistinnen sehr, sehr nahe kommen und schafft Figuren, mit denen wir uns auf ganz unterschiedliche Weisen identifizieren können. The book is thoughtful, complicated and relatable, I found myself feeling the rollercoaster of emotions that the characters did but also reassured that as a woman in today’s world where our plans are always being tested, I'm not alone.

In London, Hannah and her academic husband Nathan have been trying to have a baby via IVF for years and are considering giving up, though Hannah is still desperate to become a mother.Lissa, a beautiful but failed jobbing actress, struggles to earn enough money to live on and despite attracting plenty of male attention, she finds it difficult to form lasting relationships. We use Google Analytics to see what pages are most visited, and where in the world visitors are visiting from. According to this book, there really is nothing worse than being childless, and it's Lissa who deserves our pity in the end. Anna Hope has brought a time-worn theme up to date: thirty-something, ex-college friends looking back over their life choices and facing the realisation that previous generations of women have had to accept - that they can't easily ‘have it all’ when the biological clock is starting to speed up. The ending brought it back around a little bit but the detour made me lose my interest and it was hard to get back.

Rivals for the top place in their English Literature set, they became firm friends and remained so despite Cate winning a place at Oxford while Hannah found herself at Manchester. This is hugely readable: perfect for sticking in your bag for a plane ride, a sit on a beach, or your daily commute.Die Geschichte ist wie ein Sog, aus dem man sich nur schwer befreien kann - ich konnte mich vor allem gedanklich lange nicht mehr von den drei Freundinnen losreißen. The story of women not being able to have it all is one that has been told before but I found this to be more compelling than that. The only ones that sound interesting are My Sister, The Serial Killer (which I have in my TBR pile), the Deborah Levy and possibly the Elif Shafak. The plot is unoriginal and the characters stereotypical (how comes it is always the control freak that struggles with infertility! have expectations of how our lives will turn out, even if we don't articulate them, and real life usually turns out to be very different, in good and bad ways.

Facebook sets this cookie to show relevant advertisements to users by tracking user behaviour across the web, on sites that have Facebook pixel or Facebook social plugin. Sie kennen sich aus Schul- und Studienzeiten, haben gemeinsam eine alte Villa in London bewohnt und früher viele Träume und Hoffnungen geteilt. I’ve enjoyed Hope’s previous novels, but somehow I feel that a more contemporary setting will suit her writing better. There weren't any moments of happiness or hope to balance out the hopeless and grey in this novel, which for me was difficult to get through.ERIN KELLY’Few novels leave me so genuinely breathless with their brilliance’ HANNAH BECKERMAN’Sublime’ GOOD HOUSEKEEPING, Book of the Year’A marvellously tangy London novel’ DAILY MAIL’A grown-up, honest take on female camaraderie. Through each of these characters, Hope explores what it means to be female in the 21st century and the various causes of our thwarted expectations. The young woman whose desire for a baby eats into her marriage and her husband who the reader can see from the start will stray because of the pressure.

And, years later, when she finally seems to have recovered from all that she has to wake up in her mid-forties with frequent shocks of regret that she just didn’t pop out a young’un or two.They take Lissa’s face in their hands and cry and kiss her cheeks and tell her how much she looks like her mother, and when they hug Lissa to their chests in their embrace, Lissa knows that they have lived through illnesses and lived through children and lived through no children and that they are a tribe, these women, with their battered bodies and their scars”. It doesn’t feel like a coincidence that the only character who doesn’t have a kid is the one who is villainized and made to suffer repeatedly. Oscillating back and forth in time, we first meet the women in their mid-30s but over the course of the novel encounter them at various ages from 12 to 44.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment