276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Jaisalmer Indian Craft Gin - 700 ml

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

To taste, the immediate impression is one of sweet orange to taste that has a unique ability to last long past its usual moment at the start of proceedings and bridges the flavour into a herbal core of juniper . and coriander seed. This leading into peppery cubeb and caraway, which lingers with its familiar combination of cooling menthol and enduring spice.

Jaisalmer - Radico Khaitan Jaisalmer - Radico Khaitan

I had a lot of discussion with my master blender when we were working on the blend for our Jeisalmer Gin. If you see worldwide bottles happening as not many people were going overboard on botanicals. So today you have some gins, which talk of about 200, 250 botanicals as well. And when we were talking to our consumers and the trade partners, we realized that in a rush to add more botanicals, the gin was actually losing its soul. So we wanted to retain the soul of gin, which is Juniper berries, but then add some Indian-ness to that, add some freshness to that. And that's the reason we zeroed in only 11 botanicals. And then as I mentioned in India, the herbs and the knowledge of herbs has been age-old tradition. So we wanted to utilize that knowledge into the Jaisalmer blend. The creators chose a theme of a gentleman wearing a bowler hat for the brand that would be recognized for its Englishness. Find the best restaurants, cafes, and food joints in Delhi NCR, Mumbai, Pune, Bangalore, Hyderabad, Jaipur, and Kolkata with magicpin. Let magicpin help you discover hidden food gems, quaint eateries and more in your city. Be it romantic restaurants, rooftop cafes, street food joints or the best pizzerias, find all the answers on magicpin. Gin and the country of India are irrevocably tied together — British soldiers in the country received a gin ration, where gin and tonic was regularly consumed to ward off malaria — so it only makes sense that gin produced in India would become a thing.

Tamras

Several Indian mid-sized companies have made considerable attempts over the past few years to expand their portfolios. Rampur was one of the early movers to enter the Indian single malt space along with peers such as Amrut and Paul John. Currently all this talk of domestic super-consumption is far away and they are just going about their business, one batch at a time. As a gin, Jaisalmer is making a splash in international waters and building credibility in regions where the category is already huge and showing that it cannot be dismissed out of hand, nor should it be under-appreciated on its quality alone. Magellan, a French gin gets its name from Ferdinand de Magellan, the first man who circumnavigated the globe. But other botanicals such as blood oranges, cassia bark, angelica root and rose petals are sourced across India. Gin Gin The triple-distilled gin is made in a traditional copper pot still, in small batches, at the Rampur distillery. "The recipe is derived from the ancient Indian knowledge of herbs," says Banga, "Seven of the 11 botanicals used in the distillation come from India. The Master Distiller selects coriander and vetiver, a complex spice with peppery notes, grown in the fields around Jaisalmer; sweet orange peel from Central India which compliments the citrus and floral tones of the gin; cubeb pepper and lemongrass from South India; Darjeeling green tea leaves from East India and lemon peel from West India." Angelica root, liquorice and caraway seeds round out the flavours, lending a spicy, slightly anise-tinged taste. For the signature serve, pour 35ml Jaisalmer Indian Craft gin into a Copa glass filled with fresh ice; top with Indian tonic water and garnish with orange peel.

premium spirits portfolio | Mint Radico Khaitan to add brands to premium spirits portfolio | Mint

Then he traveled to the central India. Where he found sweetest of orange peels which are grown there. We selected those orange peels which tend to give the citrusy, floral tones to our gin. Then he shortlisted Cubeb berries from our own south India, aromatic Cubeb berries, which give off a feeling off roasted-ness or smokiness. It’s amazing. Now let's talk about the gin itself, of the 11 botanicals that you've included, seven of those are native to India. Can you talk us through each of them and why they were included? The tea, so clearly imparting a note on the nose, it’s hard to discern to taste, but the tannic, dry finish of the gin (in part due to angelica) is no doubt accentuated by it. In a G&T, you can go a variety of directions with this - a chunky lemongrass works well, so too does a dual garnish of orange and cardamom. We like a sprig of mint in ours but rest assured in the knowledge that it’s multifaceted enough to be leaned in which ever way you’d like.Though consumption remains high, surprisingly few brands of gin are actually produced in India, but that’s slowly changing. Enter Jaisalmer Indian Craft Gin, produced by Radico Khaitan, one of the largest Indian alcoholic beverage companies and the creators of Rampur Single Malt Whisky. Zuidam's Dutch Courage is a rich dry gin from Holland. The nose has juniper, lemon and a lovely note of exotic coriander with a lovely citrusy undertone and is nicely balanced. You mentioned that the city of Jaisalmer had an association with India's Imperial age with maharajas and the Maharani and their leisure moments. Can you explain a little bit further about why that was an important representation to use?

20 Made in India gins you need to try | Condé Nast Traveller

Yeah, I believe that India is actually now the fifth largest gin market in the world. Why particularly, do you think that it has grown so much in popularity? Susan: I know I’ve been to India once and ,unfortunately, although we did travel throughout Rajasthan, we didn’t get a chance to go there, which I’m sad about. I’m sure he found all these other botanicals all over India. What was it about Jaisalmer that I know you said the vetiver and the coriander came from there, but was there anything else that you had to choose it as the name as well? Now, you mentioned that you released the gin in India at the end of last year. Is that now available all across India?

Susan: When you think India is such a huge country with so many different cuisines, with so many different spices, that to be able to pin it down to just seven of the 11 within India is an incredible job, really, because there are so many to choose from. This London Dry Gin is produced by Berry Bros. & Rudd, the oldest spirit and wine merchant in London. Here comes the Master Blender or the chef, I would say. During his travels and, yes, you said coriander, which is one of the common ingredients in gin. Coriander, if you know that, is used in the daily cooking of Indian cuisine, be it the coriander seeds, which are used as spices, or be it the coriander leaves, which are used for garnishing Indian curries.

What Indian botanicals bring to gin—and how to enjoy it best What Indian botanicals bring to gin—and how to enjoy it best

Everybody started experimenting with white spirits. First, it was vodka, now it is gin which has become hugely popular in past four, five years. So not only us, there are five to six other Indian craft gins which have just sprung up suddenly over the last five years. So, people are, again, following the west in terms of gin. Kunal: So, Jaisalmer, Susan, is one of the first authentic, I repeat, authentic Indian Craft gins made by Rampur Distillery. This is one of the first fully owned Indian alcoholic beverage companies in India. Technically, we have Pernod and Diageo in India, but this is a fully owned Indian distillery and one of the oldest, established in 1943, when there were hardly any industries in India. We produce close to 13 million liters of alcohol every month. We have a small population in India of 1.4 billion people, so we must support them!

Jaisalmer Indian Craft Gin

Susan: I’m sure. I’m sure. There’s no equivalent to a bartender in the engineering field. I don’t think. And we chose seven botanicals all around from all four corners of India. Now of these seven, as I mentioned, coriander, one of the key botanical is from Jaisalmer itself. There is Vetiver also, which is a complex spice with intriguing peppery notes. So this has also grown around the fields in Jaisalmer, then we have the sweet orange peel from central India from a place called Nagpur, which is very famous for the oranges, which compliments the citrus and flavoured floral tones of the gin. We get Cubeb pepper from Southern India, Darjeeling green tea leaves from the Eastern part of India, lemon peel from Western India and also lemongrass from Southern India. So these are the seven botanicals that we use in our gin. And the four other botanicals that we use are the Angelica root liquorice, caraway seed, and of course Juniper berries that we get from Tuscany. So all together, this is an absolutely refreshing gin, retaining the soul of gin and what we call it is like an oasis in the desert and fit for royalty.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment