276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Islands of Abandonment: Life in the Post-Human Landscape

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Islands of Abandonment: Life in the Post-Human Landscape is available on William Collins, 9hr , 6min.

A dark howl of decay and human hubris, shot through with the inevitable rebirth of nature, this book haunted me long after I finished it. Flyn ponders what lessons this holds for our intensive, hands-on conservation efforts that often include culling, “ one of the biggest ethical quandaries at the heart of comtemporary conservation” (p.Exploring extraordinary places where humans no longer live – or survive in tiny, precarious numbers – Islands of Abandonment give us a glimpse of what nature gets up to when we’re not there to see it.

I was very pleased (though I am, of course, biased) to see her discuss evolution this much—and get it right. Whether due to war or disaster, disease or economic decay, each extraordinary place visited in this book has been left to its own devices for decades. Surprisingly rich in ecological and biological detail, Islands of Abandonment is a poetic and spellbinding travelogue. A vivid reflection on the “post-human landscape”, Islands of Abandonment finds its author embarking on a series of bold expeditions to examine the marks left on our land after humans have retreated. I went to an area that had been the front line during the First World War and they had burnt a lot of chemical weapons in a particular, well what is now a clearing in the woods, and the soil has become impregnated with heavy metals.

I hope that it will make people focus on the future and when I say the future I mean not next year or the year after but possibly beyond our own generations. Posted in ecology, environmental issues, wildlife conservation and tagged book review, evolutionary biology, HarperCollins, invasive species, nature writing, pollution, post-industrial sites, radioactivity, urban environments, warfare, wastelands, William Collins on September 8, 2021 by inquisitivebiologist. To access your ebook(s) after purchasing, you can download the free Glose app or read instantly on your browser by logging into Glose. In this time, nature has been left to work unfettered – offering a glimpse of how abandoned land, even the most polluted regions of the world, might offer our best opportunities for environmental recovery. In West Lothian, Scotland, Flyn climbs enormous slag heaps of spent shale dating to Scotland’s 1860s–1920s heydays of oil production.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment