276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Yes Honestly - The Complete Series 1 [DVD]

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Matthew and Lily ... make a charming young couple, despite their differences and their occasional inability to see eye-to-eye. And although they're very much in love, they seem to encounter more than their fair share of obstacles and inconveniences, including visits from Lily's eccentric Russian family and Matt's dreaded mother, and a persistent scarcity of funds - not helped when Matthew's disapproving family decide to cut him off without a shilling... [show more]

We Americans once learned this throughout elementary, middle and junior high school. The declining of grammar usage is despicable and even pervades most of today’s authors. Grammar is the verbal (linguistic) mechanism which helps to preserve the habit of forethought. Lucia, to respond to your quandary, “ I’ve a car” is a possible, grammatically correct usage; however, it’s pragmatically hard to imagine. It’s foreseeable to be practical when many people need to sequentially state or affirm that they have something; however, communicating via writing, in itself, may preclude the above scenario and repeated use of I’ve an object. Reply Pauline Collins (best known for her signature role as Shirley Valentine) played Clara with a mischievous twinkle that made her illogical leaps endearing – even if CD thought she dressed like “the remnant of a disbanded folk group”.

musicMagpie Search

HUW- Well, I think I’d say gently they’re totally different. You can have an overlap. I mean, I’m generally quite an anxious person, but I’m not depressed. Does that make sense? NIKKI- Paul, I understand that there was a big meeting this week to decide what’s going to happen next. Can you tell us who was there and what the latest is? Finally, gotten is an American thing… although there are similarities in the idea with the British have got it is used in the present perfect in American English… he has gotten himself into trouble. Reply

If you don’t want to teach that the present perfect is also used to describe possession in this case because it confuses you or because you don’t think your students need to know that’s fine. Please don’t, however, say that English grammar strictly states that ‘have got’ is incorrect and rightly so when that is simply not the case. Have got is used for acquisition. We can use it to say I’ve got blue eyes, because the idea that we acquired the colour, and the eyes, is charming, and kind of true, we have inherited them from our parents. The same is true for all kinds of instances where possession might seem, at first glance, to better suit the situation, and it may well be that Brits much overuse have got, and that have might often be more elegant. PRESENTER- You know when you’re worried about something, but then you talk to your friend who knows more about the subject than you do, and straightaway you start to feel better? That’s what we try and do every day on Newscast.NIKKI- Hello everyone. I’m Nikki Fox and this is Access All on BBC Sounds. And today I am with a legend, an icon. I am a native English speaker, but when I went to England for the first time I was surprised at how much the word ‘got’ was used, and I was particularly irritated by how people kept on saying ‘I’ve got’ when what they really meant is “I have”. NIKKI- Late nights with Tracey and Fox. Well, until next week everyone, we’ll see you later alligator. In the UK, it’s natural English to say I’ve got a car for something you possess (no matter when you acquired it) or to express that you acquired something recently.

HUW- Yes, honestly. I said this in an interview and people said, ‘Oh I don’t believe anybody said that’. Well, they actually did say it. But the only thing I’d say is they were a one-off. You’re always going to get some idiot somewhere to say something like that. NIKKI- We have to wrap it up, but you’re not going to retire soon, are you? There have been reports about you retiring for a couple of years now. HUW- Whereas you might have very good and meaningful things to say about other stuff as well. That issue I recognise. With me – that’s a very blunt question do I regret it – once or twice when people have said very, very stupid things, yes. At the end of the day, you want to teach them practical English, and not by the book English. Unless you are teaching a linguist, to whom the intrinsic nature of these language details might be important for whatever research reasons. But then again, he or she would not necessarily enrol in an ESL course but maybe something more challenging. My 2 cents is, we are here to help non native speakers acquire the level of fluency needed in today’s demanding world, not to over complicate things and confuse them. Trust me: in business English, the simpler the better, in any way imaginable, grammar, vocab, expressions, etc. Any non native who wishes to acquire a higher level of English, will never go for an ESL lesson with a TEFL teacher… trust me. :) I’m an absolute non native language trainer, so… really, my 2 cents only. Reply Problem is, Aaron my dear, that the simple past tense and the past participle ARE THE SAME THING FOR A REGULAR VERB – eg. work, worked, worked and in Brit English the past participle of ‘get’ is ‘got’, just as the simple past is also ‘got’. That’s just simple ignorance of another form of the language, But when he says:Also Jamelia. The night I met Jamelia I texted my family saying ‘Jamelia’s my new best friend. Love her. Always going to have her in my life.’ I also get on so well with Wynne, he’s so funny, and Max George too. He’s someone who I’ve seen from afar over the years in the industry and we got on really well – us last five really did bond. 100% the people have made this show for me. My personal approach to teaching have got (since that was what the OP was originally requesting) would be to say that it’s just a synonym for the present tense of have. Furthermore, it’s usually realized in the contracted form, as in I’ve got way too much time on my hands. In even more informal contexts, it the “ve” can be elided and you get the (cringeworthy, to my ear) I got way too much time on my hands. I would then point out that the usage is primary oral rather than written, and that in essays or other formal writing, it would be better to use have (lest your essay be drenched in red ink). NIKKI- Well, we did offer the Department of Health and Social Care to come on today. They declined but did provide us with this statement, ‘Following a robust review of the available data our clinical experts advised there is currently insufficient data on the duration of protection offered by Evusheld in relation to the Omicron variant. And in line with that advice the government will not be procuring doses at this time. We are keeping the evidence under close review, and NICE have begun their appraisal of Evusheld. If they consider the treatment to be clinically and cost effective it will be made available on the NHS in the usual way’. Post scriptum: Why is English mispronouced in America. Again the phonetics are not derived from the look of the words. The language must be heard to be spoken. Is this a deliberate act of independence? Reply Liza Goddard and Donal Donnelly star in this sparkling sitcom which follows the romance and marriage of Matthew Browne, a struggling composer, and wife Lily.

For a non-English speaker learning English for the first time, surely it is easier / more straightforward for them learn ‘I have’ rather than ‘I have got’ (which opens up a whole complicated can of worms regarding mashed-up tenses and irregularities etc.)? No, Honestly was a comedy series about a husband and wife – struggling actor Charles and successful writer Clara Danby, the author of “Ollie the Otter” children’s stories. MARK- Yeah, I’ve got a condition called pulmonary sarcoidosis, it’s an autoimmune disease, it affects my lungs and other parts of my body. I’ve had it for 12 years. When the pandemic hit we were told to go into shielding, and basically for the past, well up until November 1 when I actually got Evusheld, I paid for it privately, it’s been a case of shielding. At times I’ve been separate from my family. I spent about seven months during that living in the summer house at various times away from my family. Have got is not a “sloppy” mash-up of two words. It has the same meaning as our have, but it is treated as an irregular verb. Americans tend to use it less and simply do not teach as the correct form in OUR dialect. Saying that it’s wrong is like telling a Brit that saying “at weekends” is incorrect (other countries do not say “on” weekends… or pronounce the letter “Z” as Americans do, for that matter). The fact is that it is not wrong — it is just not what we are used to in this hemisphere.HUW- Honestly, I just feel that, I don’t know, I feel a bit old these days. I still love the job. And there’s a Coronation coming up; I’m not going to go before then. The formula for constructing this type of sentence is present auxiliary + past participle, not present aux. + past tense.” NIKKI- And Mark, the government’s stance is that they haven’t rolled out Evusheld yet because they don’t know how effective it is against the Omicron variant of COVID and other more recent variants. Why do you and others still want it?

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment