Magento Forum - UK Magento Forum (Unofficial)

An unofficial but dedicated Magento Forum for Magento Users, Designers and Developers

permanent custom options

A forum to discuss Magento development and coding

permanent custom options

Postby cataleptic » Fri May 21, 2010 10:42 am

Hi,
I have been having a problem with configurable products, i need to create dropdowns for lens prescriptions like this: http://www.eyeexperts.co.uk/prescription.htm

The problem I have is I have to create over 100 combinations of the one product, thats not really good and will be prone to errors.

Is there a way I can have custom options as a default set and just use that each time I need to add a new product?

Or can the dropdowns from configurable products be modified to show all options?

I hope someone can help me, I've been stuck on this since december 09
cataleptic

Re: permanent custom options

Postby AITOC » Fri May 21, 2010 2:58 pm

Hi,
So do you need custom options or configurable products?
If you need custom options, it's best to use Custom Options Templates extension available at http://www.aitoc.com/en/magentomods_cus ... lates.html. It will save you a lot of time and effort.
AITOC

Postby cataleptic » Fri May 21, 2010 3:33 pm

Hi,
the person i am making this for is not willing to part with any money.
I thought it would be standard to have a feature like this.

I would like to use custom options (going back to your last question)
cataleptic

Postby AITOC » Fri May 21, 2010 4:27 pm

Just think about the time you'd save by applying same custom options to many products at once or when creating new products. How much is one hour of you r time worth? Divide the price of the extension by the price of one hour of your (or your client's ) time, and you'll know how soon the extension will pay off 8-)

I'm not aware of any other convenient way to deal with custom options.
AITOC

Postby fishpig » Sat May 22, 2010 10:33 am

AITOC was right when he said you'd be much better off just buying the custom options template extension. For roughly £79, both the time you will save and the lack of errors in your custom options will make this extension worth while straight away.

If however, you're sure you don't want to buy this, you can create a custom module that plugs in to an event triggered when a product is created in the Magento Admin section. If the product is being created for the first time (you could even create a special attribute set and the custom options are only added to that). When the event is triggered, you can could programmatically add the custom options to the product. If you wanted to do it properly, you could even load in the custom option values from a .CSV file.

Once this method was setup, it would automatically add the custom options to newly created products.
fishpig

Postby gun2819 » Wed Jun 30, 2010 4:20 pm

Hello cataleptic,
did you find a solution for what you're trying to do because I'm having the same problem?

Keith
gun2819

Postby itorisinc » Wed Oct 04, 2017 12:44 pm

Hello cataleptic,

one other extention which you might want to look at is magento 2 custom options extention by Itoris. This product supports dependent custom options, templates, color swatches, tier prices for options. We've had the same problem at our company at the plugin seemed to do the work just fine.
itorisinc

Return to Magento Developers