276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Insatiable: ‘A frank, funny account of 21st-century lust' Independent

£6.495£12.99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Insatiable is an unashamedly filthy and yet deeply sensitive exploration of female desire, aspiration and vulnerability, and Daisy is an exciting new voice in contemporary fiction. This happened with another otherwise brilliant book (Putney - Sofka Zinovieff) and I wish book editors would work with authors to avoid this kind of thing. If the concept of a story about a frustrated and entitled ‘Millennial’ – in scare quotes a) because I find this generational concept inherently flawed and b) Violet, the MC, isn’t a Millennial, she’s a fucking Gen X-er – who in fleeing various responsibilities stumbles (literally) into an orgy club and proceeds to have badly-written orgies rings your bell, press on!

She openly describes herself as a complete mess and there was always an element of rationality to the choices she made, however bad. But the best thing about this book, and the reason for the five star rating, is the author’s absolutely stunning descriptions and character observations. She ditches her fiancé at the altar and expects sympathy for her lack of moral courage at any earlier point in the relationship. Even the ending is just a variation, somewhat out of the blue, of an old-fashioned rescue where Violet never really has to grow up or take responsibility. The last few pages realllllyyy had me holding my breath as to whether she was gonna make *that* massive mistake.I guess this is because she’s aiming for a Sally Rooney audience – another committer of crimes against sex scenes – rather than a Harry Potter NC-17 on AO3 tag audience. Teetering between a toxic past and enchanting, but potentially catastrophic, future, Violet explores her desires. Just because Violet’s traits are not ones i’d identify with, doesn’t mean i dislike reading about it - and i’m sure we’re all familiar with this concept by now as it’s becoming more and more commonplace in recent releases. Almost immediately it becomes more than that, with Violet entering into a threesome with Lottie and her husband Simon. Soon enough, their meeting takes an unexpected turn as Lottie and her husband start to invite Violet to attend numerous sex parties.

She also has a lot of sex scenes in her books, but if you think Jilly Cooper is erotica, you just haven’t read any erotica. The million copy bestseller, A Little Life by Hanya Yanagihara, is an immensely powerful and heartbreaking novel of brotherly love and.Imagine Nina LaCour for slightly older girls, Dolly Alderton for slightly younger girls, or Sally Rooney for people who aren't acutely suicidal (or those who want to at least read about a character who isn't). Stars | INSATIABLE BY DAISY BUCHANAN went down a treat like a delicious glass of red after a long day at work. I love both Buchanan and Tu’s exploration of female desire through their flawed characters and the fact that the line between this desire vs the simmering loneliness, sadness and desperation underneath is blurred.

This novel shines with dark humour, sharp intelligence, sizzling sex scenes, and a piercing portrayal of loneliness. Yet there are interesting things going on as well and I'd like to have seen this redrafted to have placed more emphasis on the toxic inequalities in Violet's relationships, and some kind of stronger resolution to her aimlessness in life and job, rather than love coming along as her rescuer. From the start, Mark and I cast each other in awkward caricatures, exaggerated roles - and then contorted ourselves to complement this distorted version of The Other, bending and twisting into shapes that bounced between our wrongly reflected selves, a haunted hall of mirrors. and that is definitely something this book offered, i just couldn't really see it at first through all the sex and fanfare. Publication dates are subject to change (although this is an extremely uncommon occurrence overall).

I started this book in the middle of reading another one because I was on holiday and it seemed like a good beach read, and was surprised by how suddenly it went from "funny broke girl having orgies in fancy house" to deep psychological reflection, social commentary on power, age, class anxiety, and themes ranging from loss to emotional abuse. It reminded me of Bridget Jones’s Diary – if Bridget were bisexual and Daniel Cleaver were a couple who were into group sex.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment