276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Fireborn: Twelve and the Frozen Forest: The extraordinary first book in the thrilling new children’s fantasy series: Book 1

£6.495£12.99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Aisling Fowler's debut Fireborn, inspired by a computer game, has just been published. Aisling's love of stories started when she was small and would read anything she could get her hands on. Often, she'd make up stories and write them down. But it wasn't until she was training as a nurse that she rediscovered her love of writing. Twelve is a fierce warrior even if she is often brave on the outside when her inner self is in complete turmoil. She has seen so much in her young life and suffers from nightmares because of it. She is quite the loner and yet Seven is so kind and nice to her. When Seven is taken by Goblins Twelve feels it is her responsibility to save her. Twelve has spoken the Pledge and now she is a Huntling. She has given up her name to train in the art of fighting monsters, and she won't choose a new one until she has earned it. But when her friend is taken, Twelve sets off on a dangerous journey to rescue her. Teaming up with Dog, the stone Guardian of the Hunting Lodge, Twelve ends up on an epic adventure that will change her life, her name - and her entire world.

One should never judge a book by its cover but this cover seems to work very well for its target group: Once my son, age 11, saw the cover in my review he asked me to get him the book once it is translated to German. So this is what we will do 😃. Especially as this book will be perfect for my son even though the main character is a girl. This book is the perfect fantasy novel for middle grade children of all sexes.

LoveReading4Kids Says

One evening, after hearing Five remonstrating that she is a bad apple, she pushes a crate of things near to Five that leads to changing her life forever. Loved this whirlwind adventure from Aisling Fowler! Imagine The Hunger Games but with magic and written for kids. A brilliant MG novel weaving fantasy, friendship, heartbreak and hope together really superbly. I have pledged my heart to Fireborn.” —Cerrie Burnell, author of Harper and the Sea of Secrets Reference Col 1 Times Books A-Z Astronomy Gardening National Parks National Trust Books Road Maps & Atlases World Atlases Life is lived so differently in each of the clans, but some have it much harder than others, (the cave clan and the bog clan particularly, so I'd want to stay well away from them!). I'd probably choose the river or forest clan. There are still dangerous dark creatures to contend with, but plenty of beauty and wonder too. Zwölf wird wie alle anderen Jagdlinge ausgebildet, aber eigentlich hat sie keineswegs vor, Jägerin zu werden und allen Clans zu dienen. Der Höhlenclan hat ihre Familie getötet und Zwölf will sie rächen, mit diesem Ziel vor Augen lässt sie keinen der anderen Jagdlinge an sich heran. Als dann aber Sieben entführt wird, eine der wenigen Menschen, die noch nett zu Zwölf waren, kann Zwölf nicht einfach zusehen. Sie zieht auf eigene Faust los, um Sieben zu retten, und bekommt dabei unerwartete Unterstützung.

New recruit Twelve (not her real name) has been at the lodge since her clan, including her family, were murdered. After an argument with another student, Five, the pair are disciplined and taken to the dungeons to spend the night. Whilst there the Hunting Lodge walls are breached for the first time and one of the students is taken. Aisling Fowler mixes in some of my favorite fantasy tropes that I can’t help be drawn to. We have animal companions, in the form of ‘Dog’ the stone guardian of the Hunting Lodge who is let loose as events happen in the book. He is the parent in the story, always being the light of reason and keeping the party in line. And then there is Widge the Squirrel, who is cute as anything, despite my aversion to squirrels. My son and I loved this middle-grade debut fantasy, full of friendships, magical creatures and a quest to save a fellow hunter! It was well written with some great figurative language that I could appreciate and discuss with my 9 year old. Mehr möchte ich gar nicht erzählen, außer dass mir sowohl die winterlich-grausame Atmosphäre als auch Zwölf als Charakter sehr gut gefallen haben.There are three books planned in the series. I'm working on the third story at the moment so I can say with confidence that there are plenty more adventures in store for Twelve and her friends. Without giving away too much, book 2 will see Twelve exploring her new-found powers when she receives a request for help from a very unexpected source . . .

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment