276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Bad Blood: A Memoir

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

You dashed in and out as if saving the world wasn’t just more important than your kids, but more interesting, too ... Remember when you used to go to that feminist bookshop ... and I had to wait out on the street because, although I was only nine, they didn’t allow males in? ... I like being a rich young man with a portable telephone, instead of being an unwanted little boy standing outside a feminist bookshop. The coverage that ‘The Sages’ received in the press on getting their degrees, shows just how extraordinary it was that Lorna should have been married (with a quite grown-up ‘baby’) and have graduated. In a boiling summer, punning headlines (‘It’s all a matter of degrees’ and ‘The Couple Who Are One Degree Over’) in the Daily Mirror and Daily Mail emphasise how far they were outside the norm. The best (or worst) of all of these from the Daily Mail, June 27th, 1964, reads: ‘The only marriage where honours are even…’ They had always been close, but more so when Sharon gave birth to her daughter. "She absolutely adored Olivia. Having that pressure off with another generation – and a girl! – was when we started becoming much closer." Spending time in a post-war Welsh vicarage with Lorna's lusty vicar grandfather, perpetually sour and angry grandmother, and her ditsy mother----none of whom could manage to lift a broom or to teach Lorna to bathe, apparently---was definitely one of those "Gee, I didn't know people lived like that" experiences. Again....a plus for me Moving out of the vicarage and into "council housing" once her father returned from the war provided yet another look into that period of time. It is undoubtably well written with some really interesting parts, but overall wasn't that impactful for me. It also ended just as I was starting to get more invested in the plot, which was a little disappointing.

Ezard, John (4 January 2001). "Double first for novel newcomer Zadie Smith". The Guardian . Retrieved 21 October 2019. . In the final section of the memoir Lorna became pregnant and married at age 16. She left the maternity ward one day, and took the first of her A-level exams the next day. She and her husband, Vic Sage, both graduated from the university in Durham with degrees in literature in 1964. The last five years of her life were increasingly dominated by the illness that eventually caused her death. Sage did not suffer fools gladly, and often the world seemed increasingly full of them. Although physically diminished by illness, she continued to write and teach with undiminished energy. Her Cambridge Guide was published in 1990, but what preoccupied her most was the completion of the memoir which provides such a compelling portrait of her as a young women. It is also uplifting, funny in a grim way and has some great pictures showing what a stylish lady she was. I was saddened to learn that Lorna Sage died in 2001.James Fenton wrote in The New York Review of Books: "What makes the book remarkable is the individual story she has to tell, and which she delivers with such glee." [2] But her concern was not simply to write about women, rather to make their work more widely and intelligently known. She wrote introductions to fiction by Katherine Mansfield, Christina Stead and Virginia Woolf. In 1994, she was appointed editor-in-chief of The Cambridge Guide To Women's Writing In English. This could have been the saddest book you have ever read, but because of Lorna Sage's relish in the details, her exuberant celebration of the vitality of this clever, surviving girl, it is as enjoyable a book as I remember reading.' Doris Lessing

Alan says: I love this book. I heartily recommend it. It’s not just an autobiography, but also it's a biography of Sage's grandfather whose diaries she came across. Her gran and grandad had this toxic marriage. It’s beautifully constructed and laid out. It’s a moving vision of Britain in the 1950s and 60s. So did the Bad Blood end with Sage? Absolutely. Whatever disgrace Sage had brought on her family changed when Sharon was born. She had been as bonny a baby as you will find, "apparently the smiliest baby in history," she says, with a laugh (and a smilier adult I have never met). Sharon describes her arrival as "new and somehow innocent, and not just because of what was described in the book" – she was conceived with her mother still believing she was a virgin – "I was a very cheerful, happy influence in their family. I kind of arrived and made everybody feel better. It turned out the best and that's the sequel in a way." Fenton, James (13 June 2002). "The Woman Who Did" . Retrieved 21 October 2019. (subscription required) Lorna Sage (13 January 1943 – 11 January 2001) was an English academic, literary critic and author, remembered especially for contributing to consideration of women's writing and for a memoir of her early life, Bad Blood (2000). [1] She taught English literature at the University of East Anglia.

a b c d e Fenton, James (13 June 2002). "The Woman Who Did" . Retrieved 21 October 2019. (subscription required) If Sage was a charismatic teacher, through out the late 1960s and the 1970s she developed her identity as a critic. Early publications on Milton grew out of her work as a graduate student. These reflected her growing interest in neo-Platonism, an interest that was to take her to Italy and the archives and galleries of Florence. Lorna Sage was considered to have inherited too much of her grandfather – she spent a lot of time with him and he taught her to read when she was very young, instilling in her a lifelong love of books, which were to eventually provide her literal, not just metaphorical, escape. She was, she writes, "his creature". Her inherited "bad blood" was confirmed to the family when she became pregnant at 16. Her parents hoped she would miscarry, but she didn't and Sharon was born to Lorna, and her teenage husband Vic Sage, in 1960. The book ends with the Sages going off to Durham University, both to get firsts in English, and being thrown on to a different path away from the claustrophobia of Hanmer. Forgotten the title or the author of a book? Our BookSleuth is specially designed for you. Visit BookSleuth

They became tighter still when Sage became ill, around the same time. With her capacity for slyness and secrecy – just as she had when she wrote about giving birth to Sharon, keeping her contractions secret because she didn't want to have to go into hospital – she hid her illness. "Nobody knew, and she kept it that way for an unreasonable length of time. I knew just because I was there and part of the concealment. When she was ill, I would sometimes move into the house with her. That was how it continued until she died. So I had a very close relationship with her in the last year, and I'm so glad of that. It has been very important to [know] that I did everything I could, and that I don't feel any regret." St Aidan's College altered its rules to allow access to women students who were also wives and mothers. Vic had also been awarded a place to read English at Durham. In 1961, a unique student family took up residence in a traditional English university. The book veered between being utterly compelling (the early part about her grandpa, "the old devil", is the best) and something of a slog; my interest flagged until she met her future husband, Vic. It doesn't really help that she's relentlessly unsympathetic (but how could she help it, growing up in such a volatile household?) stars. It was a surprise to read about the unusual childhood of Lorna Sage, a well known literary critic. While her father was away fighting in World War II, young Lorna and her mother lived with her grandparents in a vicarage in Hanmer, Flintshire. Her grandparents had a terrible marriage and were constantly fighting. Her philandering minister grandfather loved to frequent the pubs. He was very bright and passed on his love of reading to Lorna. Her relatives wondered if Lorna had inherited his "bad blood" because they had many interests in common. Her grandmother was useless when it came to cooking and cleaning, and spent most of her time complaining about men, eating sweets, and missing the comforts of her childhood home. Sharon Tolaini-Sage is the daughter of Lorna and Victor Sage. In addition to being a member of the Games Art and Design teaching team at Norwich University of the Arts, she is a translator and writer on design for Pulp , an Italian imprint of Eye Magazine . In 2017 she was appointed an ambassador for the not-for-profit organisation Women in Games, whose primary objective is to double female participation in the games industry by 2027.Sunetra says: The title really draws you in, and it’s a great idea for a front cover. This story is about a girl called Grace who committed many murders, brutally and calmly. She’s murdered members of her family but she’s in jail for a murder she didn’t commit. This book is an open confession of all the murders she did commit. Well before the invention of "new historicism" they taught what was, at the time, a unique course on the urban landscapes of the 1830s and 40s. Questioning a simple-minded distinction between fact and fiction, they analysed the rhetoric of 19th-century fiction, philosophy and government reports, finding in the forms of language a guide to the mentality of a culture.

A week later Sage died in London as a result of emphysema, from which she had suffered for some years. [9] [3] She left behind the draft of the first part of a work on Plato and Platonism in literature, which, according to her former husband [ who?] in 2001, she had been working on intermittently for many years. [5] The posthumous collection Moments of Truth partly consists of reprinted introductions to classic works. [3] Publications [ edit ] Written exclusively for UEA Live and The British Archive for Contemporary Writing by Sharon Tolaini-Sage.

In the past, she is revisiting a possible ancestor, the FitzRoy, nephew of Castlereagh, who captained the Beagle, and whose missionary Christian faith was horribly called in question by the works of his (later enormously famous) passenger Charles Darwin. And there’s a third layer, a tribute to the other Victorians, in the form of Dodgson’s Alice, a mad hatter’s tea-party set in a pastoral landscape, where Charlotte (or one of the people she’s split into) converses looking-glass style with an orang-utan called Jenny and three men who turn up in a boat, and are always demanding more to eat and drink and smoke – Marx, Freud and Darwin (again – he is, as we shall see, the real guru in the woodpile). As Jenny the orang-utan says to these rather bewildered guests of our heroine’s imagination, ‘She believes herself to be doomed. Psychologically. Politically. And genetically. Welcome to the wonderful world of disappointment, boys.’ Until Charlotte gets the hang of her playground by the sea their déjeuner sur l’ herbe is a comically glum affair: ‘The three elderly gentlemen sat in a languid circle on the grassy bank around a bright white cloth covered with the detritus of a picnic lunch. They looked neither comfortable in their formal suits, nor relaxed, yet they sat on.’ In fact they have no choice about the matter since Charlotte herself is, in the colloquial phrase, out to lunch most of the time – just about capable of putting them on trial for having sold her their grand theories (‘I sentence them to wander helplessly in the historical wilderness’) but not very efficient at organising the catering. In this stratum of narrative we’re in ‘Lineage Alley. Limbo Park. Dementia Place. Idyll Mews’. Nowheresville.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment