276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Fixman 566783 Chain Plate Electro Galvanised Staple 50 mm x 50 mm

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Finally I´ve found most of the Balsa core intact and dry but eventually three holes have been severely attacked by the moisture. To speed up this process I am going to fill the holes with those little packages of silicate which will hopefully suck out all the moisture from the wood.

The OP said it was a triangle so I assume it goes down the hull behind the settee which is bonded to the hull and part of the cabinetry. You must — there are over 200,000 words in our free online dictionary, but you are looking for one that’s only in the Merriam-Webster Unabridged Dictionary. What kind of material to use, to create a good bond with the wood, and with the fiber glass of the hull? The pre-owners of my ship did notice a problem with the chain plates: On three of the chain plates I found thick layers of silicone sealing mass, something the Fiskars yard back in 1975 surely didn´t had at hand.As I could see after removing of the wooden cover and the faux leather at least two of the shrouds did get leaky over time allowing small amounts of water penetrate the cabin. Mine is 40 years old so it was no surprise finding that I should take a look onto the chain plates of the yacht too. Even if there´s just a drop every hour coming down the chain plate – after 40 years that´s a huge amount of wet stuff.

More bad news, sorry, but I'm thinking that chainplate goes through the whole bulkheaed, not just the portion outboard of the pin rail. And having water coming down the chain plates, having seen some of the bolts covered in silicone I had the impression that maybe some of the moisture did as well creep into the wooden core of the sandwich-construction. Over the years (55+) surveying, I inspected many dismastings and partials because of partial and full bulkheads shreading apart, the ones that did retain the rig was only because the chain plate bolts caught on the bottom side of the deck. Older Darts with sail number 1000 upwards will have a backing plate bonded into the super structure and this will not fall off". On port side it´s the chain plate of the lower shroud on starboard side it´s the shroud coming directly over the spreader down which is leaking.One end of the chainplate is normally fastened to a turnbuckle which is connected to the shroud or stay, whereas the remainder of the chainplate normally has multiple holes that are bolted to the hull, or the chains. After putting some 3 hours of work into this first step of working on the chain plates of my sailing yacht I concluded work and sat down to think of the next steps to go in this part of the refit program. As I was taking off the chain plates from the outside I could already spot the dark brown color of rotten wood. Eventually I had them disassembled and took of the counterparts of the chain plates and had a look: Though made of stainless steel I could spot a lot of rust but I´m pretty confident that this is just superficial and wouldn´t be a problem to remove.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment