276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Giro Men's Imperial Road Cycling Triathlon/Aero Shoes, 7 UK

£172.24£344.48Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Starting with performance, I found the XXX as stiff as any shoe I’ve worn. I didn’t feel any flex in the carbon outsole at max power output, no matter whether I was climbing or going full gas on the flats. And with two good-sized vents under the toes and a narrow one running the length of your arch, you don’t give up any cooling potential for that stiffness. Sidi also hasn’t joined the wider toe box movement that others in this review seem to be part of. While I’m comfortable in Sidi’s standard toe box width, I have come to find the wider toe box even more comfortable without having to give up fit or performance. Phinney wanted the laces because he was looking for a way to keep his shoes as aero as possible. I'm not aware of any wind tunnel testing I can point to but laces minimise bumps and protrusions and Bradley Wiggins seemed to see some value in the design given he chose them for his hour record. It's also relatively easy to cover the actual laces which is something Swenson did, using a chopped up arm warmer, when he won the 2023 Leadville 100 mountain bike race. There's also another advantage to the laces though and that's what the SLX version of the Empire leans into. Weight– Cycling shoe weight is another place where we, as riders and the industry as marketers, put way too much emphasis on something that matters so relatively little. With the exception of a couple of outliers, most of the performance shoes weigh within 50 grams per shoe of each other. They're about the same price as the top-end Sidi, which for many is a benchmark performance shoe, but the Italian shoes are grossly overweight for the price. A mark to the Giros there then.

Don’t Like:On the hottest days, and we certainly had our share of those when I was testing these, my feet were hot in the Torch (Hmmm? Something in a name?). I’ve not had this issue in other shoes before. Perhaps the new upper material or the small, single vent in the sole between my first two toes was to blame. Comfortably fitting power transfer really speaks to your ability to stay comfortable with that right fit over time, distance, and different environmental conditions, not just when you try it on. Second, the SH10 is just as gorgeous as the KRO but looks like it would cool my feet more evenly than the KRO. The SH10 has a uniform, 3D-printed look knit upper, essentially giving it perforations across the entire knit upper and under the toes. The design of a road cycling enthusiast’s shoe, as with any piece of cycling gear, is mostly focused on delivering the desired performance level for a targeted cost and partly focused on delivering a certain look. Some designs work well in achieving performance goals, while others fall short. Some design characteristics, like sole composition, can be objectively measured against a performance goal while others, like a shoe’s attractiveness to a segment of customers, can only be judged in the eyes of potential buyers.Overall, the Vento Stabilita seems like it’s a design iteration or two away from accomplishing what it set out to do. Smoothing out the pressure along its arch support straps, shaping the heel cup a bit, and using a more comfortable yet still stiff upper material could get it closer to some of its rivals. My suggestion is to start by looking for the shoes with the best rating in the chart column above you think best fit the width of your feet. Going below the surface and actually putting my feet into and riding the new Shimano S-Phyre RC903, I immediately noticed two changes that make them as good as any road cycling shoes we’ve tested and better than most for both fast, hard group rides and races and long days of endurance riding.

Out on the road, you'll immediately feel what all the fuss is about, no marketing fluff here. The shoes are not only incredibly comfortable but noticeably precise when it comes to power transfer. In fact, the Imperials combine the best qualities of the Empire SLX and Prolight - topped off only by the on-the-fly adjustability of the Boa dials. Too many companies market their shoes’ power transfer based on the stiffness of the outsole. The outsole might be super rigid but if your foot moves around on top of that outsole, you aren’t going to get an efficient transfer of power. Before I started my evaluations of road bike shoes, I must admit that as a fellow road cycling enthusiast, I would have answered no to both questions.We both liked the beefy non-slip pads at the heel and the gummy silicone beads along the upper half of the nicely padded heel cup. According to the companies that make these heat-moldable shoes, most people don’t need or even use the molding. Heat-moldable shoes are often more expensive and take several hours of molding and remolding over the first few months of use to get them right. If you feel or are being told you need a moldable shoe, you may want to consider whether you are going with what seems like a cure-all feature that you don’t really need or your shop is trying too hard to sell you a shoe that’s not right for you. Nine years later, Giro is now a major force in the cycling shoe market thanks to Eric Horton, Giro’s creative director, who has single-handedly ensured every model range since 2010 is lighter, stiffer and more stylish than before. The company also still uses the original Prolight and Trans monikers in the current line-up, which further bolsters its heritage and status as a reputable brand. Two IP1 Boas with dials and guides in just the right places allowed me to snug up the shoes for a good upper wrap.

This article begins by talking about how anomalous the Giro Empire SLX is because of its time on the market. I said it because there's no getting around that fact but that's not the only thing that makes the Empire SLX an anomaly. It's also an anomaly because of everything it can do. As shown in one of the last characteristic charts in this post further below, the size 43 or so shoes I evaluated in this review weigh from 218 (for a size 42.5) to 304 (for a size 43.5) grams per shoe. Beyond those two, however, the remaining shoes range from 240 to 260 grams, essentially no discernable weight difference. Garneau also includes different height arch supports that connect with these insoles. We found the highest one works well to effectively give both of with relatively high arches the support we need.

NOTIFY ME WHEN THIS PRODUCT IS AVAILABLE

Something that’s not changed with the Imperial is the relatively flat arch that has been characteristic of most Giro shoes. The highest of the three inserts Giro provides with the insoles provides enough support for Miles’ typical arches. If you have naturally high arches, as fellow testers Nate and I do, Miles advises that an aftermarket insole will be needed. While the comparative last characteristics chart above shows the details, the DMT SH10 fit is closest to other Italian brands Giro and Sidi. If you are a serious roadie, buying a pair of the best road cycling shoes isn’t cheap but is worth the added cycling performance and enjoyment they provide. Depending on the shape of your feet and your performance and style preferences, you can choose from a range of dual-dial closure models I recommend to transfer your power efficiently while keeping your feet comfortable. When Giro first launched the Empire, it was the first shoe in decades to use laces instead of velcro, ratchets, or BOA dials. Initially many scoffed at the idea, but now just about every brand has its own modern version of the lace up cycling shoe. The Empire SLX is an evolution of the original shoe designed in collaboration with former pro Taylor Phinney, which uses a one-piece, monofilament, Synch Wire Mesh upper, providing plenty of airflow, complete with welded TPU panels for structure. Since everyone’s feet are a little different, I can only describe the cut or “last” characteristics of cycling shoes (for example: runs narrow, wide toe box, high arch, low volume forefoot, etc.) to help steer you to those that might best fit what you know to be the characteristics of your own feet.

The good news is that you can get both in some of the best road bike shoes. You can also get shoes that are functional without trying to be stylish. But you can also get some shoes that look great and don’t perform very well. Competition or comfort? Here again, you can get both – shoes with very stiff and light bottom soles (known as “outsoles” in footwear lingo) and a very precise and comfortable fit. Those that do both tend to be the higher-priced shoes for the more competitive enthusiast, whether it be those looking to go faster or last longer out on the road. In this post, I’ll share with you my evaluation of the best cycling shoes for enthusiasts. Whether you race, do club rides, or like to challenge yourself on short segments, over long days, or every day you ride, these shoes come the closest to delivering on the qualities that are key to getting the most out of our road cycling. WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW The length feels right, and there is sufficient, if not ample, room in the toe box. And like many cycling shoes, these DMT start with a very flat arch, and you’ll want to add some aftermarket insoles if your feet need more support there. At the same time, the DMT SH10’s forefoot is as narrow as any we’ve tested. While the knit upper provides some give, I still felt a bit of pressure from the shoes at the outsides of the balls of my feet. And I wear a rather standard width, size EU43 shoe in most brands.Like: Consistent with how I think about Rapha clothing, their Pro Team road cycling shoes combine traditional design elements and modern styling that works to set them apart from the rest.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment