276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Genghis Khan and the Making of the Modern World

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Favereau, Marie (2021). The Horde: How the Mongols Changed the World. Cambridge: Harvard University Press. doi: 10.2307/j.ctv322v4qv. On one of Addis Ababa's main roundabouts today sits a huge recently installed mortar. This is a replica of 'Sevastopol', a 70-ton lump of ordnance commissioned by one of the most extraordinary leaders Africa has ever produced - King of Kings of Ethiopia, the Emperor Theodore. In 1867, as his kingdom collapsed around him, Theodore retreated to his mountain-top stronghold in Magdala. It took his army six months to haul 'Sevastopol' through the gauges… Wright, David Curtis (2017) [2016]. "Genghis Khan". Oxford Bibliographies: Military History. Oxford: Oxford University Press. doi: 10.1093/OBO/9780199791279-0154. May, Timothy (2007). The Mongol Art of War: Chinggis Khan and the Mongol Military System. Yardley: Westholme. ISBN 9781594160462. One of the neat things he’s done is to have his books published first in Mongolian and then in English. They’ve become very popular in Mongolia. He lives part of the time in Mongolia—at least he used to—and he’s set up a fund to translate books from English into Mongolian, to broaden horizons. So, he’s done a lot of good things with his success.

The Rise and Fall of the Second Largest Empire in History: How Genghis Khan’s Mongols Almost Conquered in the World by Thomas J. Craughwell recounts the history of Genghis Khan and the Mongols. It takes about the rise of Genghis Khan’s reign, but also its fall.Khan’s empire reigned for over 200 years and well past his death, but it did have to end. Craughwell does a very good job of explaining exactly how Genghis Khan got his start, and kept his empire strong.Lords of the Bow (2008, ISBN 978-0-00-720177-8) (titled Genghis: Lords of the Bow in North America, 2010, ISBN 978-0-385-34279-7)

Man 2004, pp.132–133; Atwood 2004, p.591; May 2018, p.48; Ratchnevsky 1991, pp.104–105; Waterson 2013, p.38. Genghis Khan: Emperor of All Men by Harold Lamb helps readers gain a better understanding of Genghis Khan and what he did. Lamb has done his research on Asia and Genghis Khan. Many of his short stories are inspired by the culture in Asia, so it makes sense that his nonfiction stories would be too. Lamb uses his creative writing skills to give this biography an exciting edge. This book includes history, opinions and the myths about Genghis Khan. This book explains the huge impact Khan had through his leadership, but also through the deaths he caused. Genghis Khan caused more deaths than World War I and World War II combined, a fact many overlook. This book is informative and has all the information that people need to know about Genghis Khan.Although first published in 1984, nearly forty years on his work is still pertinent. For me that stimulates many questions. Having just pulled it from my bookshelf, I think it is time I read it again. The modern world becomes the modern world because the Mongols completely change everything. That, in itself, is not necessarily a new idea. This book just articulates it a lot better. Sometimes he goes too far. For instance, he says that the Renaissance was due to the Mongols. I don’t know if it’s due to the Mongols, but I would say that it would look a lot different without the Mongols involved. It still probably would have occurred, because you do already have things happening to set it in motion. Europe becomes much more aware of the world, there are new influences coming from the Middle East and so forth because of the Crusades. That also sets up the Italian merchant states, who provide the money that then funds the artists and thinkers that create the Renaissance. Mother Hoelun was never ashamed or embarrassed by their hardships. When Jochi wore a dog’s pelt for a cloak, because they had no fleeces and no felt and had to trade for hides and dog was cheap, none of the children felt a sense of indignity. Indignity was alien to her.The Mongols are a people of orphans. A disastrous battle with China has left wives without husbands, children without fathers. Temujin is one of these children, impoverished by the heavy tribute China has punished them with, in danger of forgetting what a Mongol stands for. Worse, Temujin's the subject of… Is the Mongolian language related to Chinese? And how is it written? Or how are most of the sources written? Does it have an alphabet like Latin or is it more character-oriented, like Chinese? McLynn, Frank (2015). Genghis Khan: His Conquests, His Empire, His Legacy. Hachette Books. ISBN 978-0-306-82395-4.

Now sole ruler in the steppe, Temüjin held a kurultai at the source of the Onon River in 1206. [69] Here, he formally adopted the title Genghis Khan, the etymology and meaning of which has been much debated. Some commentators hold that the title had no meaning, simply representing Temüjin's eschewment of the traditional "gurkhan" title, which had been accorded to Jamukha and was thus of lesser worth. [70] Another theory suggests that the word "Genghis" bears connotations of strength, firmness, hardness, or righteousness. [71] A third hypothesis proposes that the title is related to the Turkic "tängiz", meaning " sea" or " ocean"; the title "Genghis Khan" would mean "master of the ocean", and as the ocean was believed to surround the earth, the title ultimately implied "Universal Ruler". [72]In this book, there is history, archaeology and action. There is so much fun and excitement in this book. This book takes readers on a journey to find Khan’s final resting place. This has yet to be done in real life, but it’s fun to wonder, which is something this book, too. The characters are intelligent, cool, and adventurous. This is a fun book that comes with a history lesson. Temüjin] raised his hands and looking up at Heaven swore, saying "If I am able to achieve my "Great Work", I shall [always] share with you men the sweet and the bitter. If I break this word, may I be like the water of the River, drunk up by others." Khan’s great-great grandchildren eventually all converted to Islam in the Middle East, so they eventually helped to spread Islam but, at the beginning, they’re seen as the end of the world. We have chroniclers such as Ibn Al-Athir writing in Mosul in the late 1220s and early 1230s, who announces that he was very hesitant to even write about the Mongol invasion because who would want to write about the end of Islam? That’s how bleak and how dire things felt at the time of Chinggis Khan, when the Mongols first arrived in the Islamic world.

Biran, Michal (2012). Genghis Khan. Makers of the Muslim World. London: Oneworld Publications. ISBN 978-1-78074-204-5. The Mongol military campaigns begun by Genghis saw widespread destruction and millions of deaths across Asia and Eastern Europe. The Mongol army that he built was renowned for flexibility, discipline, and organisation, while his empire established itself upon meritocratic principles. He is revered and honoured in present-day Mongolia as a symbol of national identity and a central figure of Mongolian culture. Genghis Khan is a well-known name all over the world. He was one of the greatest emperors in the world. He had a long reign that is partially due to him, but also to the help he had. Genghis Khan’s Greatest General: Subotai the Valiant by Richard A. Gabriel is about one of Genghis Khan’s best warriors. Subotai the Vailiant destroyed many muslim empires.

Brose, Michael C. (2014). "Chinggis (Genghis) Khan". In Brown, Kerry (ed.). The Berkshire Dictionary of Chinese Biography. Great Barrington: Berkshire Publishing Group. ISBN 978-1-933782-66-9. Genghis: Lords of the Bow by Conn Iggulden is the second book in the Conqueror series. This book is less about Genghis Khan, and more about the uniting of the Mongol tribes. The book begins eight years after the first one. Genghis Khan is now 26 years old. Essential Histories 57: Genghis Khan and the Mongol Conquests 1190-1400 by Stephen Turbell talks about all of the Mongol conquests over 200 years in Asia and Europe. Marco Polo at the court of Kublai Kahn tells of the fantastical cities that he has seen on his journey. Fiaschetti, Francesca (2014). "Tradition, Innovation and the construction of Qubilai's diplomacy" (PDF). Ming Qing Yanjiu. 18 (1): 82. Archived (PDF) from the original on 11 June 2022 . Retrieved 10 January 2020.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment