276°
Posted 20 hours ago

UNWILLING - UNWILLING (1 DVD)

£8.855£17.71Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

The premise: So, so much could have been done with Gavin and Judah's bond, and I do love how they communicated through it (though I think more could have been done). This book was much better than “The Hush”. He is becoming one of my go to authors. It was a thriller and I returned to it nightly until I finished in a week or so. He took his hand from the switch, wondering if she’d known or merely guessed. As his eyes adjusted, he saw more of her shape. Water rose to the curve of her breasts, and her arms were wrapped across her shins. While the first part is filled with overly long and drawn out palace intrigue in which no one has a spine or the guts to just stab Elban in the face, the reader is constantly reminded Judah is special. A magus with secrets that aren’t really secret is very interested in Judah because she is special but we still don’t know why.

This was a nonstop read for me, it flowed perfectly and never dragged. Riveting storyline that I inhaled in a day in half. Exceptional world building with stunning ending, wow…... I was totally blown away! The Unwillingis crime fiction at its absolute best. An impeccable story teller, John Hart weaves an intricate tale of family, war, prison, and murder into a thoroughly thought provoking and enjoyable read that I absolutely could not put down." This book is on the top of my all time reads, I definitely recommend this book to anyone who enjoys reading epic fantasy books with descriptive details and depth. Gavin and Judah and born on the same day in very different circumstances. Gavin, high born and an heir while Judah is an orphan and taken in by the elite out of duty. The bond between Gavin and Judah grows intense day by day and they have a strange connection and both feel each other's emotions and sensations. Gavin's father, Lord Elban has plans for all of them while his healer Nate has been planted in the family to represent his people and keep the pair alive since if one is gravely injured, the other will die as well. So Judah is both treasured and a pariah.Recommend to: This one is a home run for all. I can’t think of a single reason why you shouldn’t read this. Perfect for the book clubs! Lots to discuss. From the beginning we know that the adopted Judah, hated by everyone in Lord Elban’s castle and the upper nobility because she looks different and therefore is probably a witch, has a magical twin-like connection to the Lord’s heir, Gavin. Judah also has some sort of power, unknown to her or the reader, that an entire tribe has worked five generations to do…I have no idea what. Gavin is narcissistic, selfish and a total jerk. Elban is a cruel and manipulating creature that is written as psychotic to nth degree. Gavin’s brother, Theron, is a minor, very minor, character that builds things and hides from his father and is eventually used as a sympathetic tool with a couple of deus ex machina moments. Gavin’s betrothed, Elly, is probably the only character I liked but not until the last painful third of the book. The Unwilling is the story of Judah, a foundling born with a special gift and raised inside Highfall castle along with Gavin, the son and heir to Lord Elban's vast empire. Judah and Gavin share an unnatural bond that is both the key to her survival... and possibly her undoing. Nate is introduced in the prologue as a young boy in the Slonimi caravan who is taken in by Derie as a kind of apprentice. She's a nasty, abusive woman who physically abuses Nate and Charles as she trains them to be "useful" to the cause. She is the first of many to abuse, maim, play mind games, and use people as if they were chess pieces on a board rather than human beings. It was so hard to find a single redeeming quality with anyone in this story. Even the unwilling victims are hard to root for as they were forced to make vicious choices to stay one step ahead of those toying with them. For a while, I thought Nate was a decent guy, but the more the book wore on, the more he seemed to fit right in with the most deranged and immoral.

Kelly is a magnificent writer – she really captures the brutal atmosphere and complexity of the characters personalities and relationships. I enjoyed reading about court life, the courtiers, and politics and how Judah and the other three managed to survive it. The magic was interesting and I loved the unsettling relationship between Judah and Gavin as they explored there unnatural bond. Detective French & partner Ken Burklow are brought in to solve the murder of Miss Norris who was tortured & had body parts removed this section was quite gruesome but why would Jason Kill? All the family things pulled at my heart. There is Gibby's poor best friend, Chance, a favorite character of mine and Gibby's new girlfriend, a classmate he's always had a crush on. There are good cops and bad cops (who are willing to destroy the lives of their co-workers in their effort to move up). There are women who make very bad choices but still don't deserve to die and gangs that will probably be killing each other and those that cross them, from here to eternity.

Rate And Review

Overall all if you are looking for a horror like Stephen King and the writing talent of Leigh Bardugo, this book is for you. A compulsively readable work propelled by not only race-against-time action, but also the endearing bonds between siblings put at loose ends by war, prison, and addiction, John Hart’s The Unwilling provides a unique thriller, well-suited for our times. Hart’s novel proves very much successful, as it allows readers a bit of escapism from the tumultuous world around them.” — North Carolina Literary Review

But the day turns ugly when the four encounter a prison transfer bus on a stretch of empty road. Beautiful but drunk, one of the women taunts the prisoners, leading to a riot on the bus. The woman finds it funny in the moment, but is savagely murdered soon after. John Hart writes about violence with frightening passion and vivid description. At the same time he masterfully lets you see inside a powerful family dynamic. His villain will be in anyone’s top 2.” —John Sandford, #1 New York Times bestselling author of The Prey Series Detective French and his wife had three sons. The twins, Robert and Jason, were the oldest and Gibby was younger. Robert died in Viet Nam. He had been his mother's favourite, and Jason overheard his shattered mother saying she wished it had been Jason who was killed instead of Robert. Jason immediately enlisted and spent three years on active duty in Viet Nam where he was honoured for heroism and was a decorated soldier- until he wasn't. He was sent home with a dishonourable discharge. Hardened and bitter, he became involved with heroin and gun-running bikers. He was incarcerated for almost three years in the notorious Lanseworth Prison for hardened criminals.It's always hard to read about war, but sometimes reading about its aftermath is even harder. The people left behind, the families devastated, and the lives that have been damaged and changed can never be forgotten or even understood by those not touched by the conflict. War's aftermath produces hardship, loss, and pain in all touched by its malevolent hand. It's a walk through hell for many and in this new book of John Hart's, The Unwilling, we learn of the tragedy experienced by the French family. In part, this is Gibby’s coming-of-age story, a story of brotherly love, as well as a bit of a love story with some disturbing twists and turns that end in a conflagration of violence, while in between there’s the story of life in prison, a prisoner awaiting his execution and a chilling story of how far his reach extends both inside and outside the priso The girl who started life with no name and no history will soon uncover more to her story than ever imagined.” 3.5 stars.

Hello future me. In retrospect, maybe skip to past the plot summary. It's long. And not that interesting. Unless it's enough to save you from rereading this book someday. In that case, please read and weep.One thing which The Unwilling did particularly well was create a sense of claustrophobia. The entire film takes place almost entirely within the house, although the house doesn’t exactly stay in the same place, so to speak. Firstly, it seems like it’s somehow transported to another plane of existence (where the stars don’t shine), before a concrete-like substance begins to form around the walls. And, as will happen in any situation when people who aren’t necessarily friends are placed in close proximity to one another for an extended period, they’re soon at each other’s throats. Literally, in one case.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment