276°
Posted 20 hours ago

A Deadly Affair: The new gripping short story collection

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Christie often stayed at Abney Hall in Cheshire, which was owned by her brother-in-law, James Watts. She based at least two of her stories on the hall: the short story The Adventure of the Christmas Pudding, and the novel After the Funeral. Abney Hall became Agatha's greatest inspiration for country-house life, with all the servants and grandeur which have been woven into her plots. A Satterthwaite and Quinn story. Very cozy. Satterthwaite runs into Quinn at the opera. As always these stories are more about atmosphere and less about mystery for me. It asks the question: are women blessed or cursed with a beautiful face?

It's February so a book of love stories (many with mysterious leanings) seemed a good thing to choose. This is not a bad collection of short stories from Agatha Christie. As with most collections, some stories I liked others I was neutral on (YMMV) but I'm glad I read these. I don't know that Id recommend this as a place to begin with Christie or short stories but for those already in, its a good comprehensive collection. Seems pretty cut and dry once they find out who Bingo is, but neither Inspector Marriot nor our adorable detectives feel good about it and Tuppence proceeds to continue her investigation. The Case of the Caretaker- In which the best cure for Jane Marple while recuperating from a bad flu is a mystery to solve prescribed by her clever doctor. A very good story. The collection is interesting in that it focuses on crimes involving lovers: crimes of passion (and they don’t all involve murder!) Some of them are bitter sweet, some clever, some cheesy and old fashioned, but they are all distinctly Agatha Christie.

#= data.dataItem.date #

The Case of the Rich Woman- Parker Pyne helps a wealthy woman find happiness in an interesting way. It has what I'd consider a sweet though somewhat impractical end. Parker Pyne and Harley Quin have always been my least favorite main characters. However, the Harley Quin and Mr. Satterthwaite stories in this collection are both really clever and were fun to read. I've been an Agatha Christie fan for many years and loved this collection. It would also be a great introduction to Christie for those who are less familiar with her work. I would rate it 4.5 stars. The plot is centered around the evil character who is the pivotal point of the story and all other characters evolve around that person and the bullshit that character is doing episode after episode. The two leads become frustrating and not endearing and accessory characters that I finally did not care to see together or not.

Christie fans will especially appreciate the short story version of her classic novel, DEATH ON THE NILE. How ideal that this is being released just one month before the film adaptation of the book hits the big screen. I have read the novel several times, so it was a delight to dig into this condensed offering, which contains some of the action and characters of the original but does not feature Poirot. No,” he cried. “No, I should have known better! There is no chance where you are concerned, Mr. Quin. It was not an accident that we all met tonight at the crossroads.”This collection of short stories written by Agatha Christie is unique as the stories all have a love theme. Now granted it's more of the darker side of love such as crimes of passion that is featured in each story. The collection consists of 12 mysteries, one regular old fiction short story, and an excerpt from the author's autobiography in which she discusses her relationships with men she might have married had she not listened to her instincts. While everything has been previously published in various books throughout the years, it's my understanding, it's the first time these particular stories have all been grouped together in one book. By the way, some of her beloved characters like Hercule Poirot, Miss Marple, and Tommy and Tuppence make appearances in some of the stories. Although that is not enough for defending this lakorn, no matter how good their chemistry here is I will always wish for another lakorn of them because this LAKORN is not a romance, no it is not a romance, yes they are a couple, yes they do kiss but this lakorn is not focused on one genre, explaining my heading, this lakorn has tried to be a romance lakorn, revenge, action, thriller but in the end all it is a mix of these things but they do not coincide with each other to be called a genre, these elements are weird and the directors at some point messed up because in the start it was definitely more than a mess. Either because Ch3's repeated cutting of episodes or because of the script but since Meena has been introduced this lakorn is only compromised of plot twist's and although this lakorn as seen in the comment section has a lot of fan theories, if the directors had calculated their math seriously, or at least read fan's theories this lakorn would be a 10 already, since the fan's in MDL have better ideas than what the directors tried with the plot twists, definitely making this lakorn a twist up and pent up mess. At the start, this was very addicting and still is (at 16 episodes; still ongoing) but the problem is, the romance development which many people came for is still unfulfilled for, yes we might get more romance moments, but at this moment I feel pent up with the missed potential this lakorn has. Despite all of these, our characters do have some depth and I have to praise Yeena way too much, because she worked with crying, and not seeming like a baby, she had cried with depth she cried almost every episode, and her acting reminds me of Yaya in Kluen Cheewit, I love how Yeena depicted all of Jay with her heart and she was amazing for an actress working with this messy plot, her actions at the start might make you repulsed, or might make you dislike her ( I never did though) but as the lakorn goes on, you would realize she is one of the strongest, one of the rare nang ek's (FL) that make you like her more than the pra'ek (ML) since Jay is such a character with depth, she is a puff pastry and to uncover her you need to peel off all of her layers, and the result is Jay who is relatable, is she a pain in the ass? Yes, but is she likeable and badass? Also yes. I love how Yeena made her character relatable, I've not seen many actresses pulling of this role, and usually the pra'ek over power's them either way, but this was Yeena's show despite her screen time and I am officially a fan of her.

Do you love, Love? Do you love the affairs of others? Star crossed lovers? This collection is perfect for February, it is a romantic paradise… But love can be deadly 💘 Love can propel us to our greatest heights . . . and darkest depths. In this new compendium of Agatha Christie short stories, witness the dark side of love—crimes of passion, games of the heart, and deadly deceits. This pulse-pounding compendium features beloved detectives Hercule Poirot and Miss Marple, master of charades Parker Pyne, the enigmatic Harley Quin, and the adventurous Tommy and Tuppence, all at the ready to solve tantalizing mysteries.A stand alone short story, that steals the show. Very old fashioned, but satisfactory in conclusion. A woman is stabbed by a man wearing newspaper, and dies in Tuppence's arms after telling her, Bingo did it. This pairing is already a visual pairing worth watching for. Their chemistry here does not disappoint either, it is James Ji's one of the rare firsts being paired with an actress who is younger and matches his baby face. (I love noona romances, but Karat Ruk was one of the firsts for me to be not able to digest). James JI and Gina are on fire here with their acting and their match, it seems that this pair really enjoyed working with each other and I loved many moments with them, and this might be their best acting so far according to me imho. James Ji also did a great job, I've only seen him so far in Padiwaradda and Buang Hong but I feel like his acting that he did not showcase in those lakorns, he did here, he worked best with Ohm who at the start seems like a multi dimensional character, but due to missed opportunities turns to two dimensional, (Hey at least he has two sides to him compared to other Pra'eks) and despite his character taking turns he did truly amazing with what was given, and exceeded expectations which is a pity, but I am offically a fan and cannot wait for his next lakorn.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment