276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Guillermo del Toro Cabinet of Curiosities: My Notebooks, Collections, and Other Obsessions

£19.975£39.95Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Pedersen, Erik (September 2, 2021). "Guillermo del Toro's Netflix Anthology Series Sets Essie Davis, Luke Roberts, Andrew Lincoln, F. Murray Abraham, Glynn Turman & Others to Star, Gets New Title". Deadline Hollywood . Retrieved January 30, 2022.

Roland, the mysterious expert behind the occult books, met a gruesome end in Lot 36. His expertise in the occult, his accent, and his knowledge of the Wolmar family history suggest he may have known them personally. A mix of the macabre, the weird and the strangely beautiful... the perfect introduction to the mind of Guillermo and so gorgeous." -Empire We are also treated to occasional storyboard breakdowns and various concept designs from GDT’s collaborating production designers, which are a welcome addition.

Search What's on Netflix

I’m not really confident in your childhood experiences if you never read any of these books. They’re in the process of being adapted to screen, as well, and although Del Toro will not be directing them, he co-wrote the screenplay and is co-producing the adaptation itself. This collection is definitely worth a read if you are unfamiliar—or even if you arefamiliar, revisiting these stories as an adult is almost equally as harrowing. Plus, aren’t you thrilled to see what kind of fever dream shows up when adapting Stephen Gammell’s illustrations? I know I am! As the session progressed, I became fascinated by del Toro. Indeed, well over two-thirds of my notes were from his comments. When the Q & A time arrived, I just had to ask him about MIMIC ... specifically, putting children in danger. Del Toro smiled as he explained his rationale, causing me to blurt out, “Yes, but you killed them!” After the briefest pause, del Toro let out a hearty laugh. Guillermo del Toro’s Cabinet of Curiosities is now streaming on Netflix. Two new episodes will drop each day until Oct. 28.

Nelson, Samantha (October 21, 2022). "Guillermo del Toro and Mike Flanagan on horror and their new series". Netflix Tudum . Retrieved October 29, 2022. Kroll, Justin (November 30, 2021). "Rupert Grint Joins Ensemble of Guillermo del Toro's Netflix Anthology Series". Deadline Hollywood . Retrieved January 30, 2022. The book is divided into three sections – his Bleak House collections, his movies and a final part on Unfinished Projects. Guillermo del Toro's Cabinet of Curiosities: Season 1". Metacritic. Fandom, Inc. Retrieved May 29, 2023. Simons, Roxy (October 25, 2022). " 'Cabinet of Curiosities' Episode Was Inspired by Guillermo del Toro's Life". Newsweek . Retrieved October 31, 2022.

Subjects

From 1st July 2021, VAT will be applicable to those EU countries where VAT is applied to books - this additional charge will be collected by Fed Ex (or the Royal Mail) at the time of delivery. Shipments to the USA & Canada: There are lots of comments here about things that never came to fruition, from Mephisto’s Bridge, to The List of Seven and The Left Hand of Darkness (not the Ursula K. LeGuin novel, but a version of Dumas’ The Count of Monte Cristo) and the best known aborted example other than The Hobbit, HP Lovecraft’s At The Mountains of Madness , a film Guillermo says he’s been trying to do for almost twenty years. I was very surprised that at one point Guillermo and Tom Cruise were considering a film of the 1960’s UK TV series The Champions.

The beginning of the book is actually pretty fascinating in and of itself. It's a tour of sorts through Bleak House, del Toro's second home and studio. It's exploding with all of his artistic and literary collections. As much as I want to pore over his notebooks, I also want to physically walk through his various rooms and talk to him about every piece of artifact he has in each one. Everything there has a story, some of which are detailed here in the book, but I want more, dammit. I'm insatiable.

Is ‘Cabinet of Curiosities’ based on a book?

Sketches, notes, and inspirations for del Toro's movies Cronos, Blade 2, Hellboy, Hellboy 2, Pan's Labyrinth, and even his upcoming 2013 movie Pacific Rim will be included. David Hewlett ( SEE, The Shape of Water, Stargate: Atlantis) stars in an episode based on a short story by Henry Kuttner and written and directed by Vincenzo Natali ( In the Tall Grass, Splice,Cube, Hannibal) I recommend starting with this book, especially if you are only familiar with Del Toro’s films. This book isn’t quite an autobiography, but it does go into great detail about the director’s inspirations for his monster movies and where he draws parallels among many genres. Overall, I thoroughly enjoyed this hefty compendium which chronicles his career from Cronos up until Pacific Rim. I loved the boundless enthusiasm with which GDT talks about everything from his creative drive to life in general, which he does in a very down-to-earth manner, peppered with humour, humility, and philosophical nuggets on his creative beliefs and the oft-recurring themes which run through his movies. My head was bouncing off of the ceiling for the remainder of the conference ... and I had a new “Favorite Director.”

Tangcay, Jazz (January 9, 2023). " 'Elvis,' 'Babylon,' 'Avatar: The Way of Water' Lead Art Directors Guild 2023 Nominations". Variety . Retrieved January 9, 2023. Croot, James (October 27, 2022). "Guillermo del Toro's Cabinet of Curiosities: Netflix's horror anthology offers perfect Halloween viewing". Stuff . Retrieved October 29, 2022. I absolutely feel like the lineage of this film (not necessarily the story because it predates it) is EC Comics and wanting to pay homage to those kinds of stories where a character does something immoral and pays in the most hideous way for their crime,” Natali told Den of Geek.In the book, the Reader is invited to Bleak House, a huge collection of artifacts and mementos that offer personal inspiration and reference material. Even only looking at the photographs brought strong emotional connections to mind of films and stories that I loved. Bleak House becomes a physical entryway into the mind of Guillermo del Toro ... not too unlike a literal version of “Being John Malkovich.” Zee, Michaela (August 15, 2022). "Netflix Releases First Look at Guillermo del Toro's Horror Series 'Cabinet of Curiosities,' Sets October Release Date". Variety. Bloomer, Jeffrey (October 28, 2022). "Every Horror Short in Guillermo Del Toro's Netflix Series, Ranked". Slate . Retrieved October 31, 2022.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment