276°
Posted 20 hours ago

The Song of Achilles: The 10th Anniversary edition of the Women's Prize-winning bestseller

£10£20.00Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Achilles meets Patroclus at school at the age of twelve, and soon the unlikely pairing of these two boys becomes a deep friendship. Wanting to separate the two boys and to begin Achilles life’s teachings, Achilles’ mother Thetis, sends him off to the centaur Chiron for three years to learn literature, nature, sacrifice, and the art of battle. However, not to be torn away from his friend, Patroclus follows Achilles into the caves and remains with him for three years as the love between the two blossoms. Please be aware that the delivery time frame may vary according to the area of delivery - the approximate delivery time is usually between 1-2 business days. What I loved the most was how she managed to convey Achilles’ and Patroclus relationship though. Even though she never went into detail, never actually let them say that they loved each other; it was still palpable in every single moment they shared together. Those moments were so precious I couldn’t get enough of them and all I wanted was for them to be happy. I thought it was really interesting that this story is told from Patroclus's perspective. In Greek mythology, Patroclus is a minor character and hardly ever mentioned, but he is central to this tale. And through his eyes, we are able to see all the facets of Achilles: the making of a hero though still a boy at heart, shining and bright, easily seduced by glory, and ultimately a tragic figure. its been nearly 12 hours since i finished this and i still am at a loss for words at the beauty of this book. i dont think i have ever read anything as gorgeous as this and nothing i write will even come close to describing its loveliness. truly, a touching masterpiece. and i will forever be singing its praises until the end of my days.

The Song of Achilles by Madeline Miller | Waterstones

Miller’s Achilles is a two-dimensional cardboard cutout of a tragic figure: all flash and no substance. We’re told over and over how amazing Achilles is, but never does any of this alleged amazingness ever feature. While Patroclus waxes lyrical over Achilles’s swift ankles (get it?) or whatever, the audience is left wondering if Patroclus’s Achilles is an entirely different character from the one Miller has written. Which brings me to—Patroclus is born the prince of a modest kingdom in ancient Greece, the unexceptional son of an abusive king. When he accidentally kills a nobleman’s son, he is exiled to Phthia, where he meets the talented, beautiful, straightforward Achilles, god-born son of King Peleus and the sea-nymph Thetis. Achilles takes Patroclus as his therapon, brother-in-arms, and the two young men develop a deep friendship that blossoms into romance. Miller doesn’t write about this. She apparently doesn’t understand that Achilles isn’t the moral paragon of this story—the reason he refuses to fight isn’t because he thinks battle is wrong, or killing is evil; it’s because Agamemnon stole one of his slave woman before Achilles could rape her. His character development—which comes too late, at the expense of Patroclus—is in the form of the realisation that he can’t sulk indefinitely in his tent, but he actually has to fight in the war in which he was conscripted. A captivating retelling of the Iliad and events leading up to it through the point of view of Patroclus: it's a hard book to put down, and any classicist will be enthralled by her characterisation of the goddess Thetis, which carries the true savagery and chill of antiquity (Donna Tartt The Times Christmas Books)

Editions of The Song of Achilles by Madeline Miller - Goodreads

A retelling of The Iliad with entertaining and joyful exuberance ... You may know the story but you've never heard it told like this. A gem ( Stylist) We’ve been awaiting Chee’s sophomore novel, and here it finally is! A sweeping historical story — “a night at the opera you’ll wish never-ending,” says Helen Oyeyemi — and the kind I personally love best, with a fictional protagonist moving among real historical figures. Lilliet Berne is a diva of 19th-century Paris opera on the cusp of world fame, but at what cost? Queen of the Night traffics in secrets, betrayal, intrigue, glitz, and grit. And if you can judge a book by its cover, this one’s a real killer."--The Millions ACHILLESThe first line (nay word) of the Iliad identifies the crux of the story: rage. Achilles’s rage is his defining characteristic, not his warmth or his kindness or his gentleness. His moments of affection (typically involving Thetis) are always filtered through anger. Even Patroclus calls out Achilles on his shitty behaviour. Part of what makes Achilles such a fascinating character is his flaws: his anger, his intolerance, his blind fury. I’d concede that some of it might be misguided love, but the majority is rage. He’s got some anger issues, okay? This story looks at the life and relationship between Patrocleus, Achilles' Brother-in-Arms and Achilles himself. Apparently, now that I have looked up additional information on the Iliad and general Greek mythology, and re-watched Troy, Patrocleus and Achilles may have been lovers. Or they may have just been very very close friends (The movie Troy portrays them as cousins). Madeline Miller has written her book as a love story between the two from Patrocleus' point of view. Obviously taking a few liberties as the Iliad does not speak directly to the intimate relationship between the two, Miller stays very close to the lore of the Iliad. It took me a little bit to get comfortable with the intimate relationship portrayed here - I am not accustomed to reading about intimate male relationships, but she allowed the reader time to get accustomed to the idea throughout the book. It worked for me and I too really appreciate that this type of relationship can and does exist.

Greece in the age of heroes. Patroclus, an awkward young prince, has been exiled to the court of King Peleus and his perfect son Achilles. Despite their differences, Achilles befriends the shamed prince, and as they grow into young men skilled in the arts of war and medicine, their bond blossoms into something deeper - despite the displeasure of Achilles's mother Thetis, a cruel sea goddess.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment