276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Femlandia

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Dalcher can’t conceive of a world that lets trans women in through the gates—and her story is poorer for it. Set up as women-only communes, Femlandia is sold to the world as a safe place for women to thrive peacefully without the influence, control or fear of men. This one time that the topic is raised is over in two paragraphs, and it ends unrivalled and unchallenged with; "They can identify as a fucking hedgehog for all I care.

You can change your choices at any time by visiting Cookie preferences, as described in the Cookie notice. I actually enjoyed that dystopian read more than I had Atwood’s so seeing Femlandia I was certainly curious yet again.

This novel looks at the lives of Win and Miranda, of issues surrounding motherhood, pregnancy and cults. But upon learning this, our protagonist barely quibbles and the subject is brushed past never to be addressed again. The streets are full of looting, robbing, and killing, and Miranda and Emma no longer have much choice—either starve and risk getting murdered, or find safety.

I thought this would be a feminist book but what I got was a bunch of TERFs running a cult passing it off as a feminist utopia and a spineless protagonist. Our main character is forty-one-year-old Miranda Reynolds, mother of sixteen-year-old Emma and recently widowed. it's such a contrast to Matrix, which squeezes the theme of a female-centric cooperative of every last narrative drop. Miranda and her teenage daughter Emma are fleeing the city with nothing but the clothes on their back and a few basic staples.I find it impossible to believe this is a coincidence, and I find it painfully unnecessary and cheap. There are many questions about how such a place could thrive without men, and these questions get answered in the most horrific way possible as Miranda refuses to accept everything at face value. As Miranda is so suspicious of the place because of the history with her mother, it made the twist not very surprising and also made Emma’s character feel very flat as she just trusts these obviously shady strangers right from the off. I went to identify the body when I still had the Porsche, scraping together the last of my crappy severance pay to fill its tank with gasoline.

It's my bed, the one I shared with Nick for almost twenty years, a queen-sized mattress now in the hands of two burly men with tattoos and ponytails. Anyway, Femlandia isn't the utopia its cracked up to be and some really sick things are happening there.

I got sent a free copy of this book from the publisher - I think someone who is working for Harper Collins secretly enjoys my reviews. Yet what they find when they get there is so much worse than Miranda ever could have imagined and it turns even her own daughter against her.

I loved ‘Vox’ because at its heart it carries the strength and determination of women and I thought that it would bear similarities to this story but this read has a very different and much darker tone.However, Jen purposely poked the bear with what she did, so this side of the storyline felt a little weak. Again, this is a very difficult book to read so if you upset easily reading about abuse of any kind, skip it.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment