276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Adventures of Odysseus

£4.495£8.99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Next, they sailed past the Sirens who sang a song so beautiful it forced men to steer their boats toward them, only to be shipwrecked on the rocks. TO CANCEL YOUR SUBSCRIPTION AND AVOID BEING CHARGED, YOU MUST CANCEL BEFORE THE END OF THE FREE TRIAL PERIOD. On the grid provided, children plot each of the seven obstacles in the story (Polyphemus, Poseidon, the Laestrogonians, Circe, The Sirens, Scylla, Helios). They find the cave empty - apart from some of the shepherd's animals and cheeses - so they slaughter a lamb and enjoy a roast meal.

Mythology Part 4, Chapter 3— The Adventures of Odysseus Summary Mythology Part 4, Chapter 3— The Adventures of Odysseus Summary

When Poseidon found out what had happened, he vowed to prevent Odysseus from getting home to Ithaca for another ten years. Odysseus and his crew are blown off course, which starts a decade-long series of adventures for the great Greek chief. Circe has also given them another piece of information—that they must not listen to the Sirens, women who lure men to death with singing that makes them forget everything. There is a really great gruesome scene in which Odysseus and his men blind the cyclops with a hot sharpened stick of wood, along with lots of more gore fighting which I think will really appeal to boys. The story is full of mythical gods and goddesses with super human powers, which I think girls will enjoy.

An enjoyable read, a good introduction to the story, with lovely illustrations and as usual for Barefoot Books, a quality produced book. They then pair up for a game of Ancient Greek battleships, where they choose coordinates at which to fire thunderbolts to destroy their opponent’s obstacles. The king’s daughter, Nausicaä, finds Odysseus, naked and filthy from sleeping on the ground, and leads him to the king. Groups should use the planning template to make notes on their different parts, making sure Odysseus is ready with his answers. They are amazed to find that everything seems much larger than they are familiar with - including the sheep.

Ancient Greek mythology: 10. The Odyssey - BBC Teach

im not able to give as detailed of a review as I would cause I just randomly remembered it today but yea. We were in such suspense over how Odysseus and his men would get out of the Cyclop's cave, how they would get past the whirlpool and the six-headed dragon, and how Odysseus would get rid of the gluttonous suitors and win his beloved wife back. Odysseus finally reveals himself to Penelope, and after twenty years of separation, they live happily ever after.

The story is full of rich language and there will definitely be words that kids have not come across before so its a great chance for them to learn new vocab. Explain that pupils will learn about a famous journey from Troy (believed to have been on the north west coast of Turkey) to Ithaca, a Greek Island. Odysseus then landed the ship on the island of Thrinacia where the hungry crew found a herd of cattle and slaughtered them for food.

The Adventures of Odysseus by Hugh Lupton | Goodreads The Adventures of Odysseus by Hugh Lupton | Goodreads

This gorgeously illustrated retelling with lyrical prose is a perfect introduction to The Odyssey for younger readers (upper elementary or middle school) or even an adult to doesn't want to struggle through the original language. This is a mate to Arthur of Albion and a part of their series of chapter books, which contains the two books so far. Before departing Hades, the Greeks talk with some of their old war comrades, including Achilles and Ajax.Odysseus and his men attached themselves to the bellies of Polyphemus’ sheep and when the Cyclops let his herd out the next morning, the men escaped back to their ships and set sail once again. Penelope remains faithful to Odysseus, but the suitors feast at her house all day and live off her supplies. Circe had warned Odysseus about the Sirens and their song, so his crew put beeswax in their ears to avoid hearing it. They finally arrive at the island of the Sun, where the famished men recklessly slaughter and eat one of the oxen while Odysseus is away.

Odysseus and the Cyclops - BBC Teach 7. Odysseus and the Cyclops - BBC Teach

A prime example is his stay with Circe: basking in luxury with a beautiful mistress, he whiles away an entire year feasting and drinking, unfaithful to a wife and son who, at great danger and in much unhappiness, are trying to hold his house together. But, when they moor at a strange island, and blind the giant cyclops Polyphemus, Odysseus shouts his name during bloating to the monster about who blinded it. After hearing this long account, the kind Phaeacians have pity on Odysseus and quickly prepare a ship to take him home. In the world of the dead, Odysseus and his men lure Teiresias’s spirit with blood—a favorite drink of the dead—and ask his help. The authors have gone for an authentic retelling including all aspects of the tale, including a Prologue which recaps the whole Trojan War and puts Odysseus in place for his journey home for the reader.As they pass the entrance, Polyphemus feels only the sheep’s backs to make sure there are no Greeks riding them, enabling them to escape. The suitors scoff, but the beggar quickly and easily strings the massive bow and shoots an arrow with dead aim. This book is an adaptation of Homer's Odyssey and when I first started to read it I was a little dubious as I thought it would contain too much detail and be too difficult for the children to follow. I usually find Greek myths hard to follow - particularly in terms of remembering all of the unfamiliar names and place names - but this version of Homer's Odyssey is cleverly abridged and brings the story to life in a way that is accessible for children.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment