276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Man's Place, A

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

We can see the author deciphering something complicated yet simple about her father's life in this book. Peras, Delphine (11 February 2010). "Les Années par Annie Ernaux". L'EXPRESS (in French). Archived from the original on 29 October 2010 . Retrieved 31 October 2010. Ernaux's bare-boned, fragmented prose style is often harsh on her subject matter. She observes her parents' hard work and dedication to support their family with sympathetic snobbishness. (...) There is a felt distance here, in how Ernaux's father treats her as a girl, and how she writes of him from the vantage point of her own adulthood. But that doesn't make the book cold." - Ellen Peirson-Hagger, New Statesman non può più fare nulla. Le sue parole e le sue idee non erano quelle che circolavano nelle lezioni di letteratura o di filosofia, nei soggiorni con i divani di velluto rosso dei miei compagni di classe, Mutha, Snehal (6 October 2022). "Who Is Annie Ernaux? A Nobel Prize Winner For Literature". SheThePeople. Archived from the original on 7 October 2022 . Retrieved 7 October 2022.

Introduction & Overview of Shame. BookRags. Archived from the original on 7 October 2022 . Retrieved 7 October 2022. La Cergyssoise Annie Ernaux décroche le prix Nobel de littérature". actu.fr. 6 October 2022. Archived from the original on 6 October 2022 . Retrieved 7 October 2022. Elkin, Lauren (26 October 2018). "Bad Genre: Annie Ernaux, Autofiction, and Finding a Voice". The Paris Review. Archived from the original on 9 August 2022 . Retrieved 18 April 2019.Annie Ernaux. Les Années". Le Télégramme (in French). 3 May 2009. Archived from the original on 11 March 2012 . Retrieved 31 October 2010.

An unsentimental portrait of a man loved as a parent, admired as an individual but, because of habits and education, heartbreakingly apart. Moving and memorable.’A lesser writer would turn these experiences into misery memoirs, but Ernaux does not ask for our pity – or our admiration. It’s clear from the start that she doesn’t much care whether we like her or not, because she has no interest in herself as an individual entity. She is an emblematic daughter of emblematic French parents, part of an inevitable historical process, which includes breaking away. Her interest is in examining the breakage …Ernaux is the betrayer and her father the betrayed: this is the narrative undertow that makes A Man's Place so lacerating.’ The films of the Official Selection 2020". Cannes Film Festival. 3 June 2020. Archived from the original on 4 June 2020 . Retrieved 7 October 2022. A book written by an author about her father after his death will always be an emotional one. But this book is something different as it belongs to the category of therapeutic writing. Ernaux also talks about this therapeutic writing beautifully in her other book, A Woman's Story. I finished this novel in August but I was very very busy and had no time to write a proper review. Now, I feel it is too late so I will only say a few words.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment