276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Arran Machrie Moor single malt scotch whisky, 700ml, 46% alc.

£28.125£56.25Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Machrie Moor is a peated single malt produced on the Isle of Arran at Lochranza distillery, featuring all the fruitiness of the site’s signature spirit with a puff of smoke. Machrie Moor perfectly captures the rugged beauty and lore of the landscape and is named after a peat bog on the west coast of the island where the legendary giant warrior Fingal is said to have tethered his favourite pet dog to a standing stone. We may sell, license, transfer, assign or in any other way dispose of the Service (including Members) to any third party without any notification to you, e.

Not that such a thing exists of course, and even if it did, the fact that an island 200 miles from Dufftown made the same sort of thing ought to put the final nail in whisky’s regional flavour coffin. Smoke curls in and out; the effect is of charred wood onto which barbecued meat has dripped its fat. Their core range includes a number of aged and no-aged expressions, as well as some cask experimentation.As such, the distillery has become a tourist attraction and receives more than 100,000 visitors per year. Agree with some of the other comments around the subtlety and savoury notes – I also get a biscuity undertone in the flavour that I like.

Slightly edgy, but without any off-notes - appears slightly younger than its 10-year-old brother, who was bottled at only 46%, but not significantly so. The Lagg distillery was just opened and will mainly produce peated malt while Lochranza distillery will focus on its unpeated output. Not only will you find peat at Machrie Moor, but stone circles too - one of which was apparently used by a giant to tether its dog to.While their experiment with peat initially seemed interesting, I’ve now satisfied my curiosity and quenched my thirst for this one. On this occasion, I leave aside the sherry thing for another time as I’d rather consider the question what difference peat makes. The Isle of Arran distillers is one of the few remaining independent Scotch producers, and though young in age, has quickly grown into a popular brand among whisky enthusiasts. The Machrie Moor 10 and the Arran 10 that I’ll review here were both distilled around 2011 in the same stills.

Despite its reputation as a somewhat traditional spirit, Scotch whisky offers incredible diversity of flavour, with single malts and blends ranging from elegant, floral expressions to rich, fruity and chocolatey drams. I won’t get into production and marketing details here, as I am more interested in exploring the differences in smell and taste between the two drams.

Palate – A robust dram with the typical orchard fruits of Arran coming to the fore over a layer of toasted brioche and red berries. Palate: A robust dram with the typical orchard fruits of Arran coming to the fore over a layer of toasted brioche and red berries. Urban Bar take our design rights and intellectual property very seriously, we do not create items for others to copy. Back to eating al desko, back to early alarms, back to Work In Progress meetings, back to more bad news about Brexit.

Full disclosure: I have purchased bottles of both whiskies for this review and shared them with other members of my whisky group. volume without chill filtration or added colouring, this peated Arran Single Malt displays all the freshness of our island house style, with an added puff of smoke and earthiness. We thought this Ledaig Single Malt from the Tobermory Distillery, finished in Rioja Red Wine casks, was a brilliant example of a whisky aged in wine casks. The 10 year old edition of Arran encompasses all that is impressive about this distillery and its house style. As Lagg is going to bottle their whiskies under the ‘Lagg’ name, it’s likely Machrie Moor will be exiting the scene in the near future.Machrie Moor 10 years old is bottled in very small quantities every year and is f ully matured in 1st fill Bourbon Casks for ten years and bottled at 46%, without chill filtration or added colouring. Whether that’s for the better or not depends on personal tastes and predilections – ‘Über Geschmack lässt sich nicht streiten. Machrie Moor Cask Strength Whisky is a rich and powerful single malt that captures the rugged beauty of its island home. We may, but are not under any obligation, to release new functionalities and tools or other features for the Service every now and then.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment