276°
Posted 20 hours ago

First Light: Original Edition (Penguin World War II Collection)

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

One of the best memoirs for years about the experience of flying in war’ Max Hastings, Sunday Telegraph Two months before the outbreak of WWII, seventeen-year-old Geoffrey Wellum becomes a fighter pilot with the RAF . There is also a sense of fun and good humour in this section, which contrasts with the serious and intense tone of David Crooks "Spitfire Pilot" and Richard Hillary's "The Last Enemy.

In March 1942 he went to 65 Squadron at Debden as a Flight Commander and from there to Malta later that year.In 1942 he went to 65 Squadron at Debden as a Flight Commander and from there to Malta later that year. Firstly, it is the memoir of a boy growing into manhood while flying Spitfires during the Battle of Britain. I didn’t think I would be that bad, but his passing made me realise just how much of an effect he had had on my life.

As a straight memoir, First Light would be a good book for the almost impressionist way it brings to life the stress and tension of being a front line fighter pilot during the Second World War.Wellum doesn't give a good sense of how his squadron's work figures in the big picture but DOES give a good sense of what it is to be flying and fighting. This time my letter explained the situation, how I was disappointed, but that I wouldn’t give up and asked if he had any advice. absolutely honest, it is an extraordinarily gripping and powerful story * Evening Standard * A brilliantly fresh, achingly written memoir.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment