276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Poems to Perform: A Classic Collection chosen by the Children's Laureate

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Ask a group of children to work on an ensemble performance – sometimes known as ‘choral speaking’. As well as assigning lines (all, solos, subgroups) they’ll need to consider dynamics and agree an appropriate delivery for each line. This works well with poems that have repetition or refrain, different voices, narrative. Werewolf Club Rules by Joseph Coelho; Jelly Boots, Smelly Boots by Michael Rosen; Poetry Pie by Roger McGough; Moon Juice by Kate Wakeling; Things You Find in a Poet's Beard by A.F. Harrold; Dancing in the Rain by John Lyons; The Rainmaker Danced by John Agard I grew up in a tall Victorian London house with my parents, grandmother, aunt, uncle, younger sister Mary and cat Geoffrey (who was really a prince in disguise. Mary and I would argue about which of us would marry him). This could be a good basis for children developing a piece of drama / art / music based on some of the poems (I particularly like the dinosaur rap).

This is a very cute book. I like that she gives some ideas on ways that the students can perform the poems because sometimes the students may not know what to do and you as a teacher can give them a hint with her ideas. This book can help students minds to expand and think of what the poem means and what other ways you can perform it, other than what she wrote. This makes them excellent not only for reciting, but for putting inside or on a Mother’s Day card or craft. Dear Mother Some of the actions you can use in your performances are also covered, and there are a few example videos at the end by Benjamin Zephaniahand Joseph Coelho. What is Performance Poetry?

There is such a range of poems in this book that there is something for everyone - even someone who usually doesn’t care much for poetry like myself! I’m sure other children would feel the same, and the possibilities with this book are endless.

I would also use this book to help children understand the difference between a story and a poem. This is in regard to how they are written, rhyming, the meaning of the poems etc. From knowing this they can take into consideration how it might be performed differently to a story, expanding their mind and knowledge. Read a range of humorous poems. Learn to use capital letters for names and to start sentences. Explore how 'and' can be used. Start writing sentences to express ideas creatively. I am drawn by its breath as if I were no more than a helpless vapor, all falls aside but myself and it, Use intonation - for example, remember that we naturally raise the pitch of our voices when we ask a question He was a frequent gunner and fisher, he sail’d his boat himself, he had a fine one presented to him by a ship-joiner, he had fowling-pieces presented to him by men that loved him,

Keep up to date with your professional development

Teaching these core principles and providing children with the reassurance they need to try new things is vital in assisting the progression of KS2 learners. I really enjoy writing verse, even though it can be fiendishly difficult. I used to memorise poems as a child and it means a lot to me when parents tell me their child can recite one of my books. Inspire a love of literature and encourage children's passion for poetry with this fantastic confidence boosting resource aiding KS2 perfromacne poetry. O my body! I dare not desert the likes of you in other men and women, nor the likes of the parts of you,

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment