276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Harry the Dirty Dog Board Book

£3.495£6.99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Graham won a Caldecott Honor (a runner up to the top Caldecott Medal prize for American picture books) for her first two kids books: “All Falling Down,” words by Zion, in 1951, and “The Storm Book,” words by Charlotte Zolotow, in 1952. “The Summer Snowman” is typical of the wit and invention of Graham and Zion’s collaborations. big dogs were playing with 1 little dog. How many dogs were playing together? Draw a picture and write a number sentence with a number bond to match.

Margaret Bloy Graham with a copy of Harry the Dirty Dog which first came out in 1956 and has been in print ever since First published in 1956, this beloved classic is a collaboration between Gene Zion and two-time Caldecott Honor winner Margaret Bloy Graham. The artist has added splashes of color to the cheerful scenes for this welcome new edition.

Harry the Dirty Dog has become a classic, entertaining young readers for decades. Perfect for young fans of dogs...especially ones who also don't always want a bath! She always had dogs growing up. She loved pets. And she was very generous with the Animal Rescue,” Hagen says. “She invented [Harry] from two of her favorite dogs. She kind of put them together.” I remember reading this book as a kid. I loved it then and I loved it now. It's a fun book of innocent mischief and great illustrations that clearly reveal how much fun Harry has getting dirty. In 1987, a live action short film based on the book was produced and released. It was directed by Peter Matulavich and written by Gene Zion and Matulavich. It could be easy to not recognize that Margaret Bloy Graham was the illustrator of “Harry The Dirty Dog” (HarperCollins Publishers), one of the most beloved children’s books of the past century. Margaret Bloy Graham about a decade ago. (Courtesy)

Her books are very humorous. Her drawings are very humorous. She was a very serious person,” Hagen says. “She was a voracious reader, mostly nonfiction. She loved to talk about books that she read, theater, movies.” In short, this modern classic of 20th century literature subsumes our bourgeois preconceptions in a tale of real drama and urgency, a creative maelstrom in which modern angst is conceptualised in canine form. For it is not a Scotty per se, rather it is a cypher for man's eternal (non)interconnectedness with the natural world, realised with Zion's characteristic perspicuity, its disingenuous indirectness a paradoxical signifier of its vital directness and its relevance, in real terms, to the anguished unreality of the modern - and yet forebodingly ancient - the disjunction of Man and his nearest (this terminology rapaciously encompassing Woman and her nearest) post-Jungian-evolutionary relation. Will your loved ones recognise your rights to make the choices you have? Will they even recognise you after the upheavals of your personal transition/journey. I knew her books before I knew her,” says Doris Hagen, who became friends with Graham as they were neighbors in Cambridge for nearly four decades. “I knew her as Margaret Holmes. … She was very modest.”Show your student what an exclamation point is in the text of the book. Demonstrate how you read a sentence with emphasis when an exclamation point is at the end. You may want to go through the entire text together and count the exclamation points that you find. Encourage your student to practice reading these sentences with enthusiasm and excitement! Although there were many other things to do, Harry began to wonder if his family thought that he had really run away. I'm going to have to buy No Roses for Harry for my niece, because I remember loving that one, too. It was another childhood favorite. Don't miss Harry the Dirty Dog! This funny picture book about the strong-willed dog who really doesn't want a bath stands the test of time. Here are five books to remember Graham by: "The Summer Snowman," illustrations by Margaret Bloy Graham, words by Gene Zion, 1955. (Courtesy)

She had an eye,” Hagen says. “She always did.” "Harry the Dirty Dog," illustrations by Margaret Bloy Graham, words by Gene Zion, 1956. (Courtesy) I read this book soooooo many times as a kid. Partly I was just obsessed with dogs (okay, I still kind of am). But also, this story is just really, really cute! I reread it for the first time since childhood yesterday and yep, I still think it's great. I think maybe I could identify with Harry having to wear something he didn't like (although for the most part my parents let me dress myself, which, let me tell you, was brave of them), and it's nice that in the end Harry gets his way without hurting anyone's feelings. Graham was born in Toronto, where her father, Malcolm Graham, was a doctor and her mother, Florence (nee Bloy), a nurse. She grew up in Ontario but spent her holidays in Britain with her grandfather or in the US with her aunt, and always felt she had strong links with both countries. Graham studied art history at the University of Toronto and then undertook further studies at New York University.

Follow us

He ran to a corner of the garden and started to dig furiously. Soon he jumped away from the hole barking short, happy barks. The focus in “Dear Garbage Man” on recycling might be seen as pioneering, but in this particular case it doesn’t end well. The neighborhood’s interest in reuse is short-lived—and they end up using the junk to “fill in swampland.” "The Plant Sitter," illustrations by Margaret Bloy Graham, words by Gene Zion, 1959. (Courtesy) ad \"This little doggie wants a bath!\" cried the little girl, and her father said, \"Why don't you and your brother give him one?\" Graham’s books often feature visionaries who bump up against business as usual—at least for a while—including her illustrations for a 1954 children’s biography of Henry David Thoreau, “To a Different Drum,” authored by Charles Norman. Love of nature was a recurrent theme in Graham’s books—from “The Storm Book” (words by Charlotte Zolotow, 1952), an ode to rain, lightning and rainbows, to “Really Spring” (words by Zion, 1956), about a city so anxious for the arrival of the season that everyone paints the town with green leaves. "Be Nice to Spiders," illustrations and words by Margaret Bloy Graham, 1967. (Courtesy)

A boy cares for all the neighbors' plants while they’re away on summer vacations—and in the process turns his home into a leafy paradise. Though, initially, his parents’ don’t quite see it that way: “In the morning when the family had breakfast, they were surrounded by plants in the kitchen. It was like having a picnic in the woods! But Tommy’s father didn’t seem to enjoy it at all.” Graham’s talent was recognised early. She was twice a runner-up for the Caldecott medal (awarded by the American Library Association for the “most distinguished American picture book for children” each year) for her illustrations: for All Falling Down; and for Charlotte Zolotow’s The Storm Book, 1953. Their first book, All Falling Down, a story inspired by some sketches of Graham’s, was published in 1951. A couple of similarly simple stories for very young children followed before the publication of Harry the Dirty Dog, which became the first of their books to be available in the UK when it was published by Bodley Head in 1960. The Harry titles were popular from the start and their success in the US was celebrated by the publication of a 50th anniversary edition in 2006. It was wonderful to be home. After dinner, Harry fell asleep in his favorite place, happily dreaming of how much fun it had been getting dirty. He slept so soundly, he didn't even feel the scrubbing brush he'd hidden under his pillow.

Ten years later, in 1997, Weston Woods Studios released another film featuring this character, narrated by Bruce Bayley Johnson When can indignities (such as baths) be imposed upon the young or upon minorities (Scotties), and when is it time to stand up to authority and say "No!" (or "woof"). Further adventures of Harry included No Roses for Harry! (1958) and Harry by the Sea (1965). In addition, Graham and Zion wrote some stand-alone books, such as Dear Garbage Man (1957, published in the UK as Dear Dustman) and The Meanest Squirrel I Ever Met (1962). There can be no better education for a child. Or adult. I commend it to your attention. And to the ages. If I can incorporate the book into math, I do. It just depends on when I read the book and what we are learning in math at the time. If you read the story early in the school year or if you teach preschool, I suggest you focus on counting and numbers. Make a dog math mat for each of your students (half a sheet of white construction paper with a dog face drawn on it). Give each student buttons or pom poms for the spots. Hold up a number card and have your students put that many spots on the dog. Story problems are another math activity that work great most of the time, because they can be differentiated. Depending on your students’ abilities, you can have them simply draw a picture and write the numbers to match; or draw the picture, add the number sentence and a number bond. Below are a few examples.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment