276°
Posted 20 hours ago

The Secret Dreamworld Of A Shopaholic: (Shopaholic Book 1) (Shopaholic Series)

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

I feel my smile disappear. Oh, bugger. Of course. The blue anorak for Michael. The blue sodding anorak from Millets.

In fact, I only made it 25% into the book before I decided that reading more just wasn't for me. For starters, the main character gives me a bad name. What a vapid, delusional, hypocritical mess. She's bad at her job, she's completely self-centered and selfish and annoying, completely focused on outward appearances and and seems to think that the universe owes her a sweater. When she got to the part about paying 80 GBP (which is approximately 130 USD) for a decorative bowl that she initially thought was hideous and overpriced simply because it was featured in a magazine, and then started lying to herself about how SHE had spotted its worth all on her own and internally preening, I had to put the book down. I think that if Rebecca had grown into a miraculously responsible woman, totally transformed, changing her expending ways into frugality, I would have been bored. Instead, as she growths just enough to save her skin for the collectors and find herself a handsome guy, I was entertained. This book made me physically ill. I felt like I was in more peril reading this book than anyone on a toxic waste clean-up crew. I’d wager that this book is the hands-down favorite in every nail parlor in America. Whenever I hear women talking about Prada et al, I imagine that they are studying up to go on The Price is Right. She talks as if shopping for luggage is somehow a satisfying and rewarding way for two adults who aren't brain-dead to spend an afternoon. It's creepy. In 2014 she published a Young Adult novel Finding Audrey about a teenage girl with social anxiety and her madcap family, and in January 2018, Sophie published her first illustrated book for young readers about the charming adventures of a mother-daughter fairy duo, Mummy Fairy and Me (also published as Fairy Mom and Me). She has a great flat, a fabulous wardrobe full of the season's must-haves, and a job telling other people how to manage their money. She spends her leisure time ... shopping.

Details on The Series

The main charter was English so I didn't relate the stores that she was bragging about shopping at and it didn't have the SAME"sex in the city" LUSTFUL MATERIALISTIC effect on me . So, her prideful continuous description of these clothes she "owned" and was in debt for became ridiculous. And her constant shopping while in debt, actually started to physically stress me out. The thing is, for me, the story went about for too long before I managed to see anything other than the bling-bling obsessed Rebecca. In fact, it took so long to drive this to an interesting point, I nearly lost interest (which, considering how short this book is, says a lot). Because for any normal woman (or man) with above average impulsive shopping tendencies, this book will make him/her feel better about his/herself. Vile cultural poison masquerading as a poorly-written novel. I think that a heroin addiction is less damaging to young women, and it's certainly more interesting to read about. In the novel, Suze and Tarquin are cousins who gradually date and eventually marry. In the film, they're unrelated and are actually lovers. It's likely that Tarquin took Suze's last name in marriage as a form of respect to her family, rather than have her take his own.

If you know anyone that is impulsive, spendy, and irresponsible, do not let him/her read this book. I look suspiciously round the office. Whoever it is, isn’t very bright. Using my card at Millets! It’s almost laughable. As if I’d ever shop there. So they started applying to Metalwork Monthly and Cheesemakers Gazette and What Investment Plan? And they were taken on as the crappiest editorial assistant possible on no money whatsoever and were grateful. And they’ve stayed on writing about metal, or cheese, or savings, ever since – because that’s all they know. I myself started on the catchily titled Personal Investment Periodical. I learned how to copy out a press release and nod at press conferences and ask questions that sounded as though I knew what I was talking about. After a year and a half – believe it or not – I was head-hunted to Successful Saving. Lucy: Tom's girlfriend from the first novel and later fiancée in Shopaholic Ties The Knot. She dumps him at the beginning of Shopaholic and Sister and does not appear again. Take me, for example. When I am confronted by a cute pair of shoes or some colorful household item, I get kind of...well...impulsive, spendy, and irresponsible. Sometimes, my willpower can overrule that temptation, though passing through the Times Square and the Fifth Ave area multiple times during the week for work really weakens my resolve.Sophie’s latest novel, Surprise Me, published in February 2018, presents a humorous yet moving portrait of a marriage—its intricacies, comforts, and complications. Surprise Me reveals that hidden layers in a close relationship are often yet to be discovered. And ever since I read that story, my secret fantasy has been that the same thing will happen to me. I mean, I know it sounds unlikely – but if it happened once, it can happen again, can’t it? Some dotty old woman in Cornwall will be sent my humongous bill and will pay it without even looking at it. And I’ll be sent her bill for three tins of cat food at fifty-nine pence each. Which, naturally, I’ll pay without question. Fair’s fair, after all. When I discovered that there was no Aha! moment for her, and no growth or anything in her character, and that somewhere down the line she marries The Guy, I decided to stop reading for good. The Guy seems intelligent and rational, so why he would hitch himself to a financial disaster in Prada heels is beyond me.

I had known about the title of this novel since I was in the third semester, for about one and a half years ago when my lecturer asked me to read my favourite book. I choose this novel because when I read this novel, I can feel enjoy, and this novel is funny and exciting. I've been wanting to read this series for forever but was waiting for my library to finally add it. They did, then there was a crazy wait list for it... yes, in 2018 lol. I guess I wasn't the only one waiting to read it. Opening line: "Ok. Don't panic. It's only a Visa bill. It's a piece of paper, a few numbers. I mean, just how scary can a few numbers be?" Don’t panic! I yell internally. The key is not to panic. Just read each entry slowly, one by one. I take a deep breath and force myself to focus calmly, starting at the top. Sophie was born in London. She studied music at New College, Oxford, but after a year switched to Politics, Philosophy and Economics. She now lives in London, UK, with her husband and family.Until her neighbors get in a bit of a financial mess by Rebecca's advice, and she turns out to have a little brain. This is my third Kinsella book, and so far the women are always complete idiotic dip-shits that only barely manage to bumble through their careers while managing to make an ass of themselves at every turn. I find it's quite painful to read and not at all amusing. And if that's not unbearable enough, in this one Rebecca Bloomwood personifies materialism---AND THE MORAL OF THE STORY IS THAT IT'S OKAY! There will always be a sexy, successful, intelligent, no-bullshit kind of guy who will find your stupidity and poor impulse control endearing. You can rely on the fate and good-fortune of womanly endowments to make all the trivial problems in your little, frivolous bubble of world disappear. It reminds of humans I know, who choose to lead the most dramatic, self indulged, objectified, diva lifestyle. Where they are the most important and beautiful person on the planet, and you'll regret being not trying to be their best friend (a.k.a. letting them use you) when they are Famous and rich one day. I think this book glamorize this attitude, and not matter how you dress that up, there is nothing glamorous about that.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment