276°
Posted 20 hours ago

The Acid House

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Finally there's the story that the film invests the most effort into, The Acid House. This was absolutely, the best midnight humor I've ever came across. Dirty, crazy, and makes Trainspotting, look like it copped out. A dope head switches bodies with a newly born baby, and while switch of bodies has become a comedy cliche, this one actually made it work. I laughed eccentrically and it really completed the film, if there's any reason to finish it, here you go. Irvine Welsh is a fantastic writer. This is only the second book I've read from him (the first one being Filth), and I think I'm in love. There's this depressing underground feeling, a sense of no escape that he captures perfectly. We are all caught up in our bullshit, moving from day to day without any remorse. Welsh: I thought it was really great, a fantastic job, a far better job than I would have done. I didn’t want to do it, as I had no experience at screenwriting. I think I would have really messed it up. What I wanted above all was to do something of a pacey and accessible kind of film. I didn’t want it to be a lovely piece of social realism. It would have been horrible if it had been like “ The Basketball Diaries” where you know in the first frame what’s going to happen to everybody. I didn’t want the characters to be victims. That’s why I sold it to Andrew and Danny in the first place as, they had the best take on it. I think they executed it really well. Welsh's writing, for all its bleakness, can give you an invigorating head-butt; The Acid House feels loveless and depressing. It's a shame, because in his more restrained moments, former documentarist McGuigan has a real eye for images: watch the closing shot of A Soft Touch, which tells you everything about Johnny's situation in one stark snapshot. It’s hard to talk about. It’s deep, personal stuff, I don’t want to upset his family. It was a long process … Throb was my brother, a co-songwriter, a big personality, an incredibly creative, talented man. When we were making Vanishing Point, he kind of stopped being present. He wasn’t there. He missed the whole record. When he was there, when he came up two or three times, he was on another planet, he was gone, he couldn’t play. When Andrew Weatherall passed, everything in the world just seemed to turn to shit. It was like the end of an era, for want of a better term Irvine Welsh

Irvine Welsh - Wikipedia Irvine Welsh - Wikipedia

Murphy, Claire (13 January 2009). "Author can't find buyer for his Dublin home". Evening Herald. Archived from the original on 18 April 2022 . Retrieved 17 February 2012. C'mon, she says, moving into the darkness. I look into the darkness, but I can't see her, I can only hear her voice. — C'mon, she shouts. Since Danny Boyle’s film adaptation of Trainspotting was released in February 1996 Irvine Welsh has remained a controversial figure, whose novels, stage and screen plays, novellas and short stories have proved difficult for literary critics to assimilate, a difficulty made only more noticeable by Welsh’s continued commercial success. Welsh has lived in Miami, USA since 2018, when he divorced from his Chicagoan wife. They had lived together in the Lakeview neighbourhood, [13] where he lived since 2009. [14] Prior to Chicago, USA, he lived in Dublin. [15] [16] [17]All these stories collected in this collection are good, but the few that really stand out make it worth reading all of them. The title story is just outstanding: a lightning strike switches the soul of acid-tripping Coco Bryce with a newborn baby. "A Smart Cunt", a logical extension of "Trainspotting" and whose narrator is largely indistinguishable from Mark Renton, is supreme as well, with it's look at crime, death, and shitting on other people's faces. "The Granton Star Cause" is the other genius standout: Boab Coyle meets a drunken, angry God in a pub and gets turned into a housefly as punishment, but also to act as God's instrument against shitty people. a b c "Writing Scotland - Irvine Welsh - BBC Two". Archived from the original on 21 May 2017 . Retrieved 10 December 2016.

Bobby Gillespie: ‘For the first 10 years of my life, I lived

Welsh: I think after “Trainspotting,” which has become a bit of a reference point for just about every British film, that it’s very difficult to do something a bit different, a bit less airbrushed, a bit less for the mass market. We wanted the actors to be rougher and to speak roughly. It’s very difficult after that, to just do our own wee daft film. IW Race/ethnicity was another one. Those attitudes went through to other stuff, like ska, 2 Tone, and acid house. Same vibe then. It all came out of the same punk idea. Book Genre: British Literature, Contemporary, Crime, Cultural, Dark, European Literature, Fiction, Literature, Modern, Mystery, Novels, Scotland, Short Stories Eurotrash" - A wild ride of a story about a bunch of people with problems and attitudes. Until one of them takes her own life, the main character starts to discover that he has not as much insight into other people as he thought.He co-authored Babylon Heights with his screen writing partner Dean Cavanagh. The play premiered in San Francisco at the Exit Theatre and made its European première in Dublin, at The Mill Theatre Dundrum, directed by Graham Cantwell. The plot revolves around the behind-the-scenes antics of a group of Munchkins on the set of The Wizard of Oz. The production included the use of oversized sets with actors of regular stature. Welsh and Kelman shortlisted for Saltire literary prize". BBC News. 21 October 2016. Archived from the original on 19 December 2018 . Retrieved 21 October 2016.

The Acid House by Irvine Welsh | Waterstones

In true Irvine Welsh fashion, everything about this collection is vile, dark, disturbing and vomit-inducing. It really is spit your dinner out material, but it grips you unbelievably hard. PLOT: A grotesque, genre-bending trio of tawdry, disturbing stories about squalor, decay, excess, perversion, stupidity, and altered states. Wedding Belles, a film made for Channel 4 that was written by Welsh and Cavanagh, aired at the end of March 2007. The film centres around the lives of four young women, who are played by Michelle Gomez, Shirley Henderson, Shauna MacDonald, and Kathleen McDermot. Wedding Belles was nominated for a Scottish BAFTA and was subsequently sold to TV channels in Canada and Europe. In "A Soft Touch", Johnny marries Catriona, a slovenly part-time prostitute, in a shotgun wedding. Their baby Chantal is born around the same time that the arrogant Larry moves in to the flat above them. Johnny is mostly left to care for Chantal, and Catriona starts sleeping with Larry. Johnny increasingly finds himself being taken advantage of and mistreated by both Larry and Catriona, but can't do anything about it due to his kindhearted nature. This film is not for everyone. If you like Irvine Welsh's novels, chances are you'll like this. If you're easily offended stay well clear. If you're not easily offended, you may well be.The Acid House" is a series of three short stories penned by "Trainspotting" novelist Irvine Welsh, and true to his style, it is inspired by a terribly bad acid trip. Being a huge fan of Irvine Welsh, I had high hopes for this film, but I was also aware that it would most likely not be as good as Trainspotting. It wasn't, but a good movie all the same. Welsh, Irvine (18 October 2007). "Irvine Welsh: In the past 15 years Dublin has gone from being Calcutta to Paris". The Irish Independent. Archived from the original on 20 November 2007 . Retrieved 17 February 2012. iW: With these stories you jump so much from the social realism to fantastical extremes within the book and the film. How do you achieve that, is that just the flow of your mind? Welsh followed Trainspotting with a novella and collection of short stories called The Acid House (1994). One aspect of the use of drugs in Welsh’s fiction is that it has allowed him to integrate elements of fantasy into his portrayals of urban life. So, in the title story, ‘The Acid House’, Welsh has Hibs casual Coco Bryce exchange minds with a young baby, and then follows the baby and Coco as their mother and girlfriend try to make them into the men they want them to be. Elsewhere, in ‘The Granton Star Cause’ Boab meets God in the pub and is then turned into a bluebottle. Sam Leith (14 April 2012). "Life choice". The Financial Times. The Financial Times Limited. Archived from the original on 18 July 2012 . Retrieved 29 July 2012.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment