276°
Posted 20 hours ago

King of the Cloud Forests

£3.995£7.99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Michael's books have been translated into many languages including Chinese, Bulgarian and Hungarian, Hebrew and Japanese. He travels all over the UK and abroad talking to people of all ages at literary festivals, telling his stories and encouraging them to tell theirs. Firstly, we're going to think about the structure of a persuasive argument. Usually, there is an introduction where you explain what you are trying to persuade the person to think/do and then there are at least three different reasons why. It's important to have lots of reasons rather than just one as this is more persuasive.

This half term, we'll be writing some persuasive arguments using formal language. Don't worry though, we'll look at it step by step. Escaping from China as the Japanese invade, Ashley and Uncle Sung embark on a perilous journey across the Himalayas. Then Ashley finds himself alone in the hostile mountains, battling for his life. He is just about to give up all hope, when he has a mysterious and terrifying encounter … King of the Cloud Forests is a beautifully told story featuring unforgettable characters. Humour and strong characterisation blend with a sparkling narrative to create a moving, yet often humorous fairy-tale. Morpurgo added: “Storymakers and storytellers like Barrie, and like all the previous winners of this award, have given us the hope and faith children need, we need, to keep flying, have sustained us through dark and troubled times, have banished doubt. To touch the lives of children, to witness their listening and reading silence, is reward enough in itself. This is simply the icing on the cake.”

What will be the fate of Prometheus and mankind? 

Persuasive phrases are one feature of a persuasive argument but there are more features and techniques that writers use when they try to persuade someone. This is what we're thinking about today! You can also read about his life in War Child to War Horse,a collaborative biography with Maggie Fergusson.

The book I chose to read was “King of the Cloud Forest” written by Michael Morpurgo. This book is adventure fiction, I usually don’t enjoy adventure fiction but I enjoyed this book because Michael Morpurgo is an incredible author. I have loved all of Michael Morpurgo's books so I decided to try this one. Can you all take a second to stop by the blog today. I've done another virtual register and I'd like to see as many people in the class as possible saying good morning to me! (or at least beat Monday's total of 7 ) While you're there, perhaps you could let me know what you decided was the most important thing for me to take on my mountain climbing expedition or perhaps let me know what you wrote for change my mind yesterday... I'm ever so curious! Now, the reason we played the "change my mind" game yesterday was because it links to our new topic in English, which is persuasive writing! Persuasion is when you try to influence other people by getting them to do something that you'd like them to or think something that you'd like them to. We use persuasion in our daily lives (think about all those times you tried to persuade your parents to let you do something or all of those times they've tried to persuade you to clean your room!) Books can play a large part in the development of young adults and the topics covered between the covers of King of the Cloud Forests will leave the younger reader a far more thoughtful and mature person. It may also leave them finding their school life and surroundings rather dull and constrictive when compared to a life amongst the cloud forests of the Himalayas.Access-restricted-item true Addeddate 2021-02-06 12:01:17 Boxid IA40056507 Camera USB PTP Class Camera Collection_set printdisabled External-identifier The old imperialism has gone. Young Ashley respects the people around him and is upset when they do not respect him – and it is not all due to his father's religious teaching. Ashley is a British boy of our time rather than the 1930s. If there is a failing in the book it is that: Ashley would not have done well growing up in the Empire. David Wood, chair of Action for Children’s Arts, said Morpurgo is “one of our greatest storytellers”. Of course he has a rough time. Forced out of China by the Japanese invasion in the company of his mentor, Uncle Sung, he has to retreat into the high mountains of Tibet and Nepal. Then trapped alone in a howling blizzard he is taken by a tribe of high mountain creatures, perhaps yetis, but not quite human and comes to be treated as the re-embodiment of their almost supernatural, white-skinned god-cum-ruler of years earlier. For more information about the work of Farms for City Children, please visit www.farmsforcitychildren.org

There were also lots of persuasive phrases in the arguments, which I'm hoping some of you spotted. Phrases such as: I'm sure you'll agree that, Obviously, I strongly believe, It makes sense that... King of the Cloud Forests is a beautiful and magical tale of love, loss, friendship and understanding. Michael Morpurgo really IS a master storyteller. When Japan invades China, Ashley and Uncle Sung are forced to flee. It is a perilous journey across the Himalayas, and they struggle to survive. Then Ashley is captured. Who are these strange creatures that revere him as their king? Access-restricted-item true Addeddate 2022-03-11 21:13:17 Bookplateleaf 0008 Boxid IA40390108 Camera Sony Alpha-A6300 (Control) Collection_set printdisabled External-identifier King of the Cloud Forests is the story of Ashley Anderson, the son of a missionary working in China. When the Japanese invade his adopted country he must flee with his Uncle Sung across the Himalayas into India. What happens to Ashley in the Himalayas and whom he meets there is what makes this book so special – unfortunately it is impossible to expand on these events without spoiling the book for those who have not read it, so you must get it and read it as soon as possible to find out...Thank you to those of you that posted work and left a message on the blog yesterday. It is so lovely to hear from you and see all of the work you've done! You put a huge smile on my face so thank you very much Michael Morpurgo has thrilled and delighted huge numbers of young readers since becoming a children’s author in the early 1970s," Wood said. "Action for Children’s Arts is delighted to recognise Michael’s outstanding contribution by presenting him with the J M Barrie Award 2016. His work will undoubtedly, like Peter Pan, stand the test of time, making him a truly worthy recipient of this award." A young boy escapes from China after the Japanese invasion and starts on a journey thru Tibet, Nepal and India to England. Through snow clad mountains and many storms, he fights the cold and hunger and comes across wolves and the yeti... he lives with the yeti for an year and learns about their life and their ways - his experience with the Yeti touches his life as nothing else... and he finds that many years ago a young doctor (who later won the novel prize for medicine) had lived with the yeti for three years... and the yeti had mistaken him for the old doctor from the past... the two share a bond and an experience and such comradeship that is more precious to them than anything else... they remember their simplicity and honesty that is beyond what we can aspire for...

You can either do this by completing the table on the sheet, drawing the table into your book and completing it or by setting it out in the example I've given if you don't have a printer and don't want to draw out the table.A son and grandson of actors, Michael has acting in his blood and enjoys collaborating and performing live adaptations of his books at festivals, concerts and theatres. urn:lcp:kingofcloudfores0000morp_q1s1:epub:b95a490d-4af1-46d4-a9d3-b029581182c5 Foldoutcount 0 Identifier kingofcloudfores0000morp_q1s1 Identifier-ark ark:/13960/s2z44zrrqwz Invoice 1652 Isbn 043495201X Ocr tesseract 5.0.0-1-g862e Ocr_detected_lang en Ocr_detected_lang_conf 1.0000 Ocr_detected_script Latin Ocr_detected_script_conf 1.0000 Ocr_module_version 0.0.15 Ocr_parameters -l eng Old_pallet IA-NS-2000570 Openlibrary_edition If you drop a heavy thing and a light thing at the same time, which do you think will hit the ground first? In November 2016 Michael Morpurgo won the J M Barrie Award for his contribution to children’s literature.This award is given every year by Action for Children’s Arts to a “children’s arts practitioner” whose lifetime’s work has delighted children and will stand the test of time.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment