276°
Posted 20 hours ago

It's Not About the Burqa: Muslim Women on Faith, Feminism, Sexuality and Race

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Navigating these spaces, especially when wearing that all-defining piece of fabric, has interesting consequences. This is such a a good read indeed, lot of things to take away and energising me with so many thoughts. Elsewhere, clothing manufacturers such as Nike or Jo LaMode take an apparently atheistic view of religious apparel, while women who are veiled or cover their hair with mitpachats have been accused of monetising their faith or aiding radicalism.

be a Muslim woman? Spoiler: It’s not What does it mean to be a Muslim woman? Spoiler: It’s not

As much as Islamophobia, another prominent theme that is interwoven throughout the collection is feminism. If you are already a registered user of The Hindu and logged in, you may continue to engage with our articles. It’s Not About the Burqa was borne out of that anger, a collection of essays that gives voice to an often unheard section of the Muslim community. Covering the role of multiculturalism, gender issues and feminism, this comprehensive philosophical study of a major political question gets to the heart of whether a ban could be justified in principle, and also questions whether any such ban could prove efficacious in achieving its end. The sweet spot was having a condition that was in no way chronic or serious (that would be a mood killer) but still involved substantial effort to power through.It's Not About the Burqa is an anthology of essays by Muslim women about the contemporary Muslim female experience. Ahmed remarks that this piece of clothing has become a politicised, fashionable contradiction far removed from what she believes are its theological roots: a statement of faith and Islamic identity. Bringing together the voices of leading experts in the field, this edition offers an up-to-date and diverse review of the best in social policy scholarship over the past year. Yet, particularly British and Anglo-Irish literature display a long, albeit so far implicit tradition of texts that can be categorised as ‘thing-essays’: Starting with Jonathan Swift’s “Meditation upon a Broomstick” (1701) and continuing until today, these texts draw broader insights from the contemplation of a material item of daily life.

It’s Not About the Burqa review – courageous essays

For obvious reasons, that comment was entirely presumptuous and ignorant, but it opened up my eyes to the fact that I didn’t feel liberated at all. Bringing niqab wearers' voices to the fore, discussing their narratives on religious agency, identity, social interaction, community, and urban spaces, Anna Piela situates women's accounts firmly within UK and US socio-political contexts as well as within media discourses on Islam. passionate, angry, self-effacing, nuanced and utterly compelling in every single way' - Nikesh Shukla, editor of The Good Immigrant 'Engrossing .

Mir’s essay outlines some of the gruelling challenges faced by a minority of Muslim women who are expected to conduct themselves as both trophy wives and domestic slaves. Similarly, Saima Mir’s ‘ A Woman of Substance’ – if I can just stop with the starry-eyed dreaming and giggling (vom! With contributions from leading experts from law, sociology and politics, the book presents a comparative and interdisciplinary approach to one of the most contentious and symbolic issues of recent times. Here are voices you won’t see represented in the national news headlines: seventeen Muslim women speaking frankly about the hijab and wavering faith, about love and divorce, about feminism, queer identity, sex, and the twin threats of a disapproving community and a racist country. My Twitter bio went from highlighting my race, religion and the movements I advocate for to my achievements, creations and passions.

It’s Not About the Burqa’, edited by Mariam Khan Review: ‘It’s Not About the Burqa’, edited by Mariam Khan

What this frustration is an amalgamation of is the lack of representation in publishing which then turns into this desperate need to want everything represented in a single book. It shows how every day Muslim women have to liberate themselves from identities that are thrust upon them.

India vs Pakistan LIVE Scorecard, Asia Cup Super Four 2023: IND vs PAK streaming info; IND 147/2 in 24. And if they do not give us the mic to speak, we build our own stage – I was never a fan of their stage anyway; how correct it stood, how sturdy and mute, how cold it was. It’s Not About the Burqa not only made me feel seen and heard, but it also made me question how I connect to and define my identity. Subtly, it advocates acknowledging that you need not explain your actions regarding clothing as a Muslim woman because the questions mask something bigger: the way a woman dresses is always open to criticism and Muslim women have become one of its biggest victims. Coupled with soothing texts from the Qur’an, ‘The Clothes of My Faith’ is a gentle reminder to center ourselves and seek representation from the Almighty first and foremost.

It’s Not About the Burqa: Transversing Heterotopia and It’s Not About the Burqa: Transversing Heterotopia and

Divorce is sometimes and very much a dirty word in my culture, though I’m slowly noticing the tides shifting (more so for the generation before me), and Saima Mir’s journey in ‘ A Woman of Substance’ is one for the silver screen. Also writing about sexuality and Muslim women, Afshan D’Souza Lodhi explores queer spaces as a hijabi woman of colour. Although I am not a bollywood fan esp of commercial movies which depicts frivolity and corrupts youth, esp when it comes to love and being obsessed with love ie Ashiqi. Focussing on the socio-legal and human rights angle, this volume provides a useful comparative perspective on how the issue has been dealt with across a range of European states as well as at European institutional level. Through her story, she unpacks many stereotypes surrounding Muslim women — what Islam teaches versus the many interpretations of these teachings.Her first husband, a Muslim doctor in Mississippi, was 11 years her senior; the couple had met only once before their wedding. What it taught me is that the right man will love you as you are in all your glory and in all your grief too. In a world where controversial leaders are at the helm in many countries and minorities are under attack, this is an essential and engaging read.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment