276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Traction Man Is Here (Traction Man, 1)

£3.995£7.99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

I've been wanting to reread this ever since the sequel was released. It's a wonderful story about a child's imagination, and the pictures are a hoot. I love Scrubbing Brush, particularly. Can he save Scrubbing Brush from? And is there room in his life for two pets? Teaching Ideas and Resources: English This book didn't move my world but I can see where it would appeal to some children. There is a lot of adventuring which for some children would really draw them in. The thing I did like was at the end where there was a link to science in regards to electricity. It was also a very moralistic story with lessons on the importance of friendship and cleanliness. Nothing - and I repeat - nothing affected my little monsters so wholly as this book. It was like Harry's first day at Hogwarts - pure magic.

Can Traction Man overcome the humiliation of his desperately dowdy new look and rediscover the action hero within or will the burden of the knitted green monstrosity be too great? Teaching Ideas and Resources: English NOW, can Traction Man survive his most dangerous challenge yet - having to model Grandma's hand-knitted green romper suit and matching bonnet?And so is Scrubbing Brush, his brave and rather bedraggled pet. But one night Scrubbing Brush mysteriously vanishes and in his place is the utterly hygienic Turbodog, in indestructible Purple Plastic with Flashing Eyes, Electronic Bark and three AA batteries. But it’s not the same without Scrubbing Brush. Where can he be? Traction Man sets out on his greatest rescue mission yet.

Explore Mini’s Sketching Weakly blog. Can you challenge yourself to complete a weekly sketching challenge? Could your work be shared with others on a blog or other space?It was a little spooky to see every child so absorbed. BUT, I lived for those silent moments during Reading Time. SO, I decided what the hey - a little magic never hurt anyone. Before reading the story, encourage children to look at the cover and talk about what they notice. Then read through the book, pausing to talk about the pictures. Join in Scrubbing Brush cries from inside the bin but it is difficult for Traction Man to hear him. Plan an experiment to find out which materials are good at muffling sounds. Twenty-eight first graders run in from recess. They're dirty, tired and infected with the wiggles. There's whispering, muttering, sniffling and whining. Make a list of persuasive words and phrases that could be used in an advert to promote Traction Man and / or Turbodog.

The advert for Turbodog states that he is ‘Traction Man’s Faithful New Companion’. Can you design a new companion for Traction Man? The idea for Traction Man is Here came from a real thing that happened when I worked as a teacher. I was on playground duty and a little boy called Midge zoomed up to me. He had brought his Action Man into school, and his Action Man was wearing a new, home-made outfit (knitted by Midge’s granny I think.) The outfit was a suit, knitted out of emerald green wool with big buttons. And because it was knitted it looked just like a green romper suit that a baby might wear. The Action Man was clearly trying to rise above the suit and stay brave and heroic nonetheless. And I felt sorry for the Action Man and hoped it would get to home-time without anyone laughing at him. Years and years later I remembered Midge and his Action Man in the playground, and that is where the story started. Traction Man’s adventures mostly come from the perspective of being action-figure-sized, and the magic thing you can do when you’re playing with things (and making picture books too!) which is to make anything come to life.’ I am going to be a killjoy about this one, which my kids love. I'm disappearing it the next time I do a book purge. Design a new costume to help Traction Man with his adventures in new locations. Use the Character Outlines resource below to help.I don't think that's a good idea - water and electricity don't mix' This to me is a very interesting scene which teaches children a little science and will happen if they get toys like turbodog wet. It also makes me think the book could be used as a precursor to a science lesson

A little boy gets what he REALLY WANTS for Christmas - a Traction Man Generic Action Figure! Boo-ya! ( Warning: Contains small parts and loud shirt. Do not microwave.) Traction Man immediately leaps into action battling some Evil Pillows. Hooray! The Farm Animals are saved! We can clearly see how Traction Man is feeling and his emotional journey (happiness, joy, despair, worry, concern, excitement, confusion...) Part of my 365 Kids Books challenge. For a fuller explanation see my review for 101 Amazing Facts about Australia You can see all the books on their own shelf.Traction Man and Scrubbing Brush have moved to the yard to scale Mount Compost! Led by an old potato guide they finally reach the summit. Alas, Scrubbing Brush is deemed unhygienic by the parents of the little boy. Scrubbing Brush enters the land of the trash bin! dun dun dun... As a consolation the boy gets Turbo Dog (batteries not included). Turbo Dog walks, talks and can have adventures but he isn't as much fun as Scrubbing Brush. Where, oh where is Scrubbing Brush? Traction Man aims to find out. I was really pleasantly surprised. The story was hilarious and so were the illustrations. The little boy's imagination is so fun to see as his toys come alive for him and have exciting adventures. The humiliation of a hand-knit green romper suit (with matching hat) is perfectly executed and I can imagine that more than one child can empathize with poor Traction Man. Overall, this was a very entertaining story and while it likely will appeal most to young boys, our girls and I really enjoyed it too. I'm so glad that we discovered this little gem! As you read and reread the book, encourage children to join in where they can, especially the speech bubbles. Their confidence and enjoyment will build as you revisit the book together and children become more familiar with the story and story language. Talk about the story I am currently 62 books behind if I had started January 1st, which I didn't. I'm only 96 behind for my regular reading challenge, which is doubled for the year. Will I make it? Will I get close? The suspense is killing me. The inside cover shows a letter from Traction Man’s owner to Santa, explaining that his old Traction Man had a ‘Terrible Parachute Accident’. Can you write a story about this to explain what happened?

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment