276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Jill's Gymkhana (The Jill Books by Ruby Ferguson Book 1)

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Titles listed to rear: Jill Enjoys Her Ponies, Jill’s Riding Club, Rosettes for Jill, Jill and the Perfect Pony. Inside rear flap: Jill’s Gymkhana, A Stable for Jill, Jill Has Two Ponies Jill’s Pony Trek The food in Jill is part of that Arcadian world in which Jill existed. There is an element of privation, but never too much. And the later books positively spread themselves in a manner that recalls Ratty’s picnic in The Wind in the Willows. We had only just come to Chatton and our cottage was actually about two miles from the shops, and we didn’t know anybody and it was still the summer holidays, so apart from helping Mummy with beds and dusting and things like that I hadn’t much to do. Mummy did things in the house every morning and cooked the dinner; and after dinner she got out her typewriter and settled down to work while I just went out and meandered about.

Liz Thiel. "The Dark Horse: Ruby Ferguson and the Jill Pony Stories." The Lion and the Unicorn 26, 2002, pp. 112–122. Full Text. Accessible through libraries subscribing to Project MUSE. Jill is grateful for her mother's success; however, as she says repeatedly throughout the series, she "can't get on" with her mother's books at all, finding them impossibly sweet and whimsical (possibly a veiled criticism of the works of Enid Blyton). [ citation needed] In contrast, Ferguson's Jill is an active, independent and witty character who defies post-war expectations for English girls by scorning ladylike pursuits, treating boys her own age as equals, and working hard to achieve her goals. This makes Ferguson's writing outstanding not only in the pony stories genre, but in children's literature generally. [6] Extracts [ edit ] Food rationing ended completely on 5 July 1954, but the books that appeared after that do not lose their preoccupation with food. The cakes, biscuits and sausages roll on. The food is all of the traditional and solid sort: the only exotic dish mentioned is the ragout Mrs Sound cooks in Pony Jobs for Jill. Its exoticism was probably helped by the immersion of Pride and Prejudice in its bubbling depths.We thought it very heartless of the vet to want tea, but we went into the house and made him a cup. We didn't make any for ourselves, it would have choked us. Every time I caught Wendy's eye she gave a gulp, and every time Wendy caught my eye I gave a gulp. We did nothing but gulp at each other. I set off down the yard with the vet's cup of tea and slopped it all over into the saucer. Then suddenly I saw the vet before me. The heartless man was grinning all over his face. Pg 137/134. Two paragraphs (eight lines) removed describing Agatha complaining that they had used up a week’s tea ration for four. The reference to Jill describing the next lot of tea as very weak but they were use to it in ‘these days’ is also removed. Ruby Ferguson (née Ashby) was born in Reeth, West Yorkshire in 1899, as the daughter of a Wesleyan Minister. She attended Bradford Girls’ Grammar School and then read English at St Hilda’s College, Oxford between 1919 and 1922. After completing her MA, Ruby Ferguson moved to Manchester and started working as a secretary. Her writing was first published in the form of a regular column in British Weekly magazine, but her career really began when she entered some detective stories in a competition in the Manchester Evening News. Words such as ‘realised’ and ‘sympathised’ have been spelt with a ‘z’ e.g. ‘realized’, ‘sympathized’

One of the questions I used to get asked quite often as a publisher of classic pony books was, ‘Why aren’t the Jill books available?’ Between 1949 and 1962 she gained great popularity with the "Jill" books for her step-grandchildren, Libs, Sallie, and Pip. Her last book in 1967, Children at the Shop, is a fictionalised memoir of her childhood. [4] Titles listed to rear: Jill’s Gymkhana, A Stable for Jill, Jill Has Two Ponies, Jill Enjoys Her Ponies. Inside rear flap: Jill’s Riding Club Jill and the Perfect PonyHe’d make a jumper, he would, if he was trained,” said Farmer Clay. “A grand little pony and no mistake. You just ask your Ma what about it.”

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment