276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Illuminations: Stories

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

I genuinely don't think I'll ever come across a worse example, and I have my entire reading life ahead of me. What We Can Know About Thunderman é praticamente um romance dentro de um livro de contos, uma longa história contada sob diferentes perspetivas, tempos, e estilos narrativos se que sente como uma espécie de lavar de roupa suja. Riverdale is even more bizarrely dark compared to its innocent four-colour originals; the CGI/facial hair SNAFU in the Justice League film is repeatedly, brilliantly compared to Monkey Christ; Robin Askwith** takes over as the lead in Superman IV. Cold Reading” and “…to be Done With Silence” - both ghost stories, both short and sweet and mostly unremarkable.

Another I sort of have, the opening Hypothetical Lizard, in that I have the comics adaptation, but I remembered little past the premise from that, so can only assume it didn't do full justice to the story as collected here, which is an ingenious, poisonous thing, its prose bolstering the horror of the premise, as when a key character wrings her hands: "They looked like crabs mating after having been kept too long in the dark. luckily, it's unlikely the victims will give the whole thing oxygen by suing, and there's little other leverage to be had over someone who just walked away. Whether it's the mind-blowing timefuckery of "Not Even a Legend," the bizarre bait-and-switch of "A Hypothetical Lizard," or the absolutely bonkers novel-length grossfest of "What We Can Know About Thunderman," even the lesser stories of this are worth reading. Location, Location, Location sees the Biblical apocalypse through the eyes of a Bedford estate agent, after it turns out that Joanna Southcott and the Panacea Society were right all along. There’s a lot of local history brought in through the annotations, and it’s clear that Moore likes that part, but your enjoyment of the rest will hinge on your tolerance for beat poems.Thank you to NetGalley, Bloomsbury Publishing, and Alan Moore for this book in exchange for my honest review! So, for instance, his stand-in for Maxwell Gaines, founder of what would later become the notorious horror publisher EC (here SP), doesn't die in a boating accident; he's felled by a chunk of frozen piss. porque aunque soy una persona morbosa y cotilla, su pesadísima forma de narrar, su cansino afán de ajustar cuentas con el género y sus alusiones veladas, seudónimos, y oscuras referencias a escabrosas anécdotas, cansa y aburre ya a las piedras. There was a sense of real, horrifying danger that underlies Moore's imagination and it is visible from the very first page.

From the unparalleled imagination of international bestseller Alan Moore, author of From Hell and The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen and other modern classics, nine stories full of wonder and strangeness, which take us to the fantastical underside of reality. Fãs de Alan Moore irão apreciar estes contos, que mostram diversas facetas do criador, bem como o seu génio imaginativo, capaz de conjurar mundos estranhos cuja lógica interna é implacavelmente funcional. ILLUMINATIONS (five stars) A recently divorced man decides to visit a beach resort where he remembered being happy as a child, and in so doing, discovers that nostalgia engenders disappointment, boredom, and finally, horror. I found this story to be peak Moore: full of scientific processes that tickle your cerebral cortex while normalizing sex. This one had me feeling all kinds of things (I should mention that my sexual awakening came from the hands of Alan Moore in the form of Black Dossier, because, you know, I’m not a big enough nerd as it is…).WHAT WE CAN KNOW ABOUT THUNDERMAN (five stars) I give this 240 page novel my highest rating, but I think full enjoyment of it requires a lot of knowledge about the history of American comic books.

In his first-ever short story collection, which spans forty years of work, Alan Moore presents a series of wildly different and equally unforgettable characters who discover--and in some cases even make and unmake--the various uncharted parts of existence. The people in the industry, perhaps because of exposure to its products, are all sexually stunted, often veering into violence. The _ga cookie, installed by Google Analytics, calculates visitor, session and campaign data and also keeps track of site usage for the site's analytics report. I found it more mournful than anything else – mournful about the wasted potential of so many creators and of an entire medium, currently stuck in a murder-suicide pact with global culture. Hypothetical Lizard” feels very old school sci-fi/fantasy, like if Jack Vance got real horny all of a sudden.

I kept stopping to absorb and appreciate the exact way he spins a phrase or the way in which he reveals the mind of a character, all the subtle and indirect associations that give us a true insight into the meaning behind each story. The poet and the critic are fictional, but the supporting cast and other geographic references are real. I have to look up some of the names dropped to get the proper historical context, but even without having that this was a great story to read and could easily fit in with one of the stories in Voice of the Fire, or it at least felt like a nice revisiting with the mood of that collection. Here is an author who possesses a mastery of language teamed with a seemingly limitless imagination, all underpinned by a sanguine, occasionally waspish sense of humour .

Often this is very funny, but at other times I could definitely sympathise with Marvel's Tom Brevoort who, yes, is a company man (albeit by no means an uncritical one), so was never likely to be a huge fan of a novel about how anyone working for Marvel is by definition a fuck-up, but still wasn't altogether wrong when he described What We Can Know as "mean-spirited and pointless". Superhero fandoms of both the political right and the political left now enjoy a rare moment of unity in summarily rejecting Moore's fascism thesis, while observers point out that Moore has been claiming this for years—since, in fact, his earliest works in the genre, Miracleman and Watchmen. Aunque tuviera entre sus manos los materiales más excelsos para construir una maravillosa historia (que tampoco, no hay en uno sólo de estos relatos rastro de belleza o verdad, salvo cierto ingenio y todo lo que deriva de éste, artificio, ironía y superficialidad) la jodería con la prosa más sobreescrita, insufrible y pagada de sí misma que he leído en años. These cookies help provide information on metrics the number of visitors, bounce rate, traffic source, etc. Finally, it is clear that no one but Alan Moore could have proffered such demonstrably vertiginous offerings.I especially wasn’t prepared for a 200+ page “novella” (‘What We Can Know About Thunderman’) to be included herein; that’s like reading a whole book by itself! In the old black and white plate, the shadow on the left of the ghost’s face uncurled its legs to scuttle for the margin and the cluttered desk beyond.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment