276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Calling the Shots: My Autobiography

£6.495£12.99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

By completing your purchase, you agree to Audible's Conditions of Use and authorise Audible to charge your designated card or any other card on file.

This is a remarkable life story of a tennis champion, an award-winning broadcaster, and I enjoyed every minute listening to her incredible life story. I liked sue barker it was interesting to hear how hard she worked to become world number 3 and win the French open a lot of effort and dedication well 👏 done.I hadn't realised just what a good player she was and how many Tournaments she won; also her Broadcasting career was second to none covering all the major sporting events and some non-sporting, in a career lasting thirty years. She is clearly immensely proud of her broadcast career and it struck me that it would seem more than her tennis career, but not really surprising given the span of her broadcasting. I have been watching tennis since 1970 but I am embarrassed to say that I do not ever remember watching Sue play. She reveals the battles she fought for hard-won success in two careers and gives us a ringside seat on the nation's biggest sporting dramas and a fascinating insider's understanding of competitors under pressure.

She played well through each match, swinging her hugely admired dangerous weapon, her famous forehand and it is there she won the ladies final Championship with a score sheet of 62-06-62. I coached many teenager and adults for over twenty years, and played for many years for the island of Jersey, which I am proud to have done. Going all in for her once-only autobiography, Sue takes us inside the showbizzy world of '70s and early '80s tennis, dating the stars, hitting the headlines. I am not a big Tennis fan but did enjoy watching Wimbledon back in the days of Borg, McEnroe and Connors. She gives a detailed glimpse into her two careers as a top tennis player and exceptional broadcaster.I have enjoyed watching Sue Barker present the Wimbledon fortnight and initially on Question of Sport. But I was intrigued to read about her being drawn into sports commentary and anchoring at great sporting events beyond tennis.

I loved the honesty, the humour and the insight into the tennis life, the presenter life and the private life. She anchored SPOTY for 19 years, was quizmaster on A Question of Sport for 24 years and fronted coverage of Wimbledon for three decades. What you do get reading this book is the warmth of a tennis player and television celebrity who is close to her family and made lots of true friends throughout her life, many of who are household names. Luckily she won the junior championship there, but she hid herself away the night before because she had no money to pay for a room in the hotel. How you see Sue on the television is the real Sue, and admire so much when she says "You see enough of me on television, you won't see me showing my house off in the Hello Magazine.Going all in for her once-only autobiography, Sue takes us inside the world of 70s and early 80s tennis.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment