276°
Posted 20 hours ago

A Touch of Jen

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

The premise is so good and it starts out so well that it’s all the more disappointing when it devolves into what it eventually becomes. Who among us hasn’t stalked a crush on social media — then brought our girlfriend in on our obsession and let our role-playing fantasies leak into our reality, disintegrating social boundaries and ultimately rending the fabric of the universe? Mostly, they watch movies together and avoid their “perfectly nice roommate” Jake whom they despise passionately (page 6).

Carla is quite open, but would she have to insist so frequently that she has clairvoyant instincts if she was truly secure in her psychic abilities? When Remy has his first substantial confrontation with the unsettling figure who’s been lurking throughout the plot, this novel steps fully into its horror-slasher genre. Still, I think some readers may find the designation useful otherwise they might find themselves too disoriented later on.In and outside the bedroom, Remy and Alicia's entire relationship revolves around fantasies of Jen, whose every Instagram caption, outfit, and new age mantra they know by heart. After the trip, Alicia’s obsession with Jen ramps up, now having witnessed Jen in action and having even more content to base her impression of Jen off of. What starts as a book about a weird couple with an Instagram crush becomes a summer trip gone wrong, then a quest for self-improvement, followed by a surprising accident and its horrific and monstrous consequences. Even the characters most authentic are still seemingly inauthentic when brought under the microscope. She’s that girl that Remy used to work with (two years and seven months ago), who now Remy only sees through social media.

This book may be closer to real life but I think it actually sneaks itself into your brain even more because it is also one of the few books that gets texting, Instagram, and other ways we internet-stalk people we do not actually know very well. The book starts out about this harmless (or so it seems) obsession with an Instagrammer who seems just a little too perfect, and morphs into a wild, weird, disjointed and humorous (really! If anyone's read the novel and wants to discuss the spoilers and details I'd love to do so in some spoiler comments I can block out. To me, though, this book was quite clear from page one that it was really effing weird and was going to lean into that hard even though there was little actual evidence of it on the page.

And after doing all of this, I wasn’t only still prone to anxiety and depression一I was even more tired than I was before, burnt out by the never-ending quest to reach perfection, an unattainable state.

To calculate the overall star rating and percentage breakdown by star, we don’t use a simple average. so many WTH moments later, the story’s direction whirl around just like a car jumps off a cliff and repeat that action over and over again. Morgan has created a fabulous monster here, legitimately Frankensteined herself a wicked, unflinching, dynamite novel out of razor-sharp dialogue, toxic social media culture, and the nonsense notion that the self is just another brand to be endlessly plumbed for content.

I'm still turning over questions like the main character is very obviously horrible and sexist, is that adequately addressed or did this hit some of the same pitfalls as other stories where the main character sucks? Jen used to work with Remy and he’s upset that they didn’t stayed friends after the company closed down. At the top, the most idealized and manicured version of herself is her online presence, which is tailored to demonstrate her identity in a very specific way: images of her travels, hobbies, and friends. UNAUTHORIZED USE AND/OR DUPLICATION OF THIS MATERIAL WITHOUT EXPRESS AND WRITTEN PERMISSION FROM THIS SITE’S AUTHOR AND/OR OWNER IS STRICTLY PROHIBITED. Remy and Alicia, a couple of insecure service workers, are not particularly happy together--but they are bound by a shared obsession with Jen, a beautiful former co-worker of Remy’s who now seems to be following her bliss as a globe-trotting jewelry designer.

A young couple's toxic Instagram crush spins out of control and unleashes a sinister creature in this twisted, viciously funny, "bananas good" story (Carmen Maria Machado). We do not have that kind of relationship” Jen says to Alicia after Alicia hugs her and cheerfully thanks her for helping Remy (page 120). Thus interpreting this fickle happenstance as another sure indicator from the universe of what he’s meant to do, Remy feels certain in how to slay the Paranormalagus: the universe wants him to kill Jen. it seems like the kind of story that would make a good, obscure indie movie, so if that's not your thing I wouldn't read it.So, when it suddenly got intense and spooky and a little bit psychological horror-ish, the two brain cells I had left were thrilled to be on that roller coaster ride. The parodied New Age spiritualism of The Apple Bush exemplifies in one dimension how characters like Jen and Carla are constantly attempting to better themselves, striving to morph into an idealized version of themselves.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment