276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Artifact Space

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

With their vast cargo holds and a crew that could fill a city, the Greatships are the lifeblood of human occupied space, transporting an unimaginable volume - and value - of goods from City, the greatest human orbital, all the way to Tradepoint at the other, to trade for xenoglas with an unknowable alien species. Astronomers have long predicted that objects from other solar systems get shot out into space and arrive in our system.

Artifact Space by Miles Cameron – The Unseen Library Artifact Space by Miles Cameron – The Unseen Library

Please,’ Sir Daven said, jabbing the message sheath at Estevar’s chest, ‘read my lord’s words and heed them, I beg you.’ Cameron has also filled Artifact Space with a wide range of intriguing and likeable supporting characters who the protagonist engages with during her adventures. There is a fairly large collection of supporting characters in this book, especially as Nbaro makes friends and collections throughout the entire greatship and beyond. I had a lot of fun getting to know some of the characters throughout this novel, and I was a particular fan of the weird and brilliant Dorcas, Nbaro’s friendly roommate Thea, and the ship’s clever and sarcastic AI, Morosini. All these characters, and many more, added a lot to Artifact Space’s story, especially as most of them form a unique relationship or friendship with Nbaro. While a few interesting supporting characters don’t survive to the end of the novel, the remaining swath of fun characters should help to make the next entry in this series very special. I enjoyed seeing several of these characters develop alongside the protagonist, and they were great additions to this fantastic novel.After completing the next Main Quest, Starborn, the following Main Quest, Further into the Unknown, will repeat the process of sending you to two randomized points of interest on two random planets:

Artifact Space | Sebastien de Castell Artifact Space | Sebastien de Castell

Another aspect of Artifact Space I enjoyed was that – as one would expect on a massive ship hurtling through space – the book is somewhat episodic. It's not one long, drawn-out singular problem (though there is a mystery that threads the entire narrative), but more the ongoing adventures of Marca NBaro and the crew of the Greatship Athens. If that sounds like a pitch for this to be a television series, it is; I really, really want to see this as a TV show that sits somewhere between Star Trek the Next Generation and The Expanse.Another Long War novel? Unexpected and very welcome. I now have to debate whether or not to change criteria for selecting "best read of the year, 2022". Long War was a shoe-in for that. But, I intended to award that honor to a series only if it is complete. Oh well, rules are made to be broken, as they say. Age of Bronze is another series I'm quite taken with. Fun times ahead, reading-wise at any rate.

Artifact Space by Miles Cameron | Gollancz - Bringing You

The width of the Oort Cloud is not known precisely, but it is estimated to begin at about 1,000 astronomical units (AU) from the sun and to extend to about 100,000 AU. One AU is the distance from the sun to Earth. It will take about 300 years for Voyager 2 to reach the inner edge of the Oort Cloud and possibly 30,000 years to fly beyond it. Artifact Space is set about 8 centuries into the future and humanity has largely left Earth in a great diaspora. While there are several independent systems and in fact, entire human 'empires', the story starts in New London, one of the original space colonies and the heart of far flung trading empire connected via huge armed merchant ships that (surprise!) look like gigantic 14KM long swords. Most people can live without booze,’ Marca said. ‘But no one can go an hour without a rationalisation."

Tags

Can't wait to see that next novel in "The Long War". Thought that series was finished. Nice surprise. Because I'm not a frequent reader of sci-fi (not because I don't like the genre but because I often don't quite get it due to my own ineptitude), I often find myself shunted out of a book because the science is either so sparse as to be magic or so lovingly rendered as to be a textbook about things that don't work in the real world. Kind of like when you read a fantasy novel with four thousand houses, countries, shires, and whatever else and realize you've just memorized a history that won't actually help you at all in your daily life. Artifact Space manages to find a path for the reader in which the science of space travel is balanced against an equally enticing and complex culture and economy. Yes, I meant that: the economics are actually interesting here. More importantly, Cameron never piles on so much at once that you find yourself lost amidst figures and facts about either space travel or the intricate human culture that's achieved it.

Artifacts In Space | News | Astrobiology Artifacts In Space | News | Astrobiology

This useful Power refills your Oxygen meter letting you run freely or move while encumbered. Spam it to get around much faster.

No Comments

The wise move would be to fight from atop the mule. The added height afforded a superior position, and Imperious was no shy pony to cower in the face of danger. Should the need arise to flee, being already in the saddle would increase the odds of escape. Another aspect of Artifact Space I enjoyed was that – as one would expect on a massive ship hurtling through space–the book is somewhat episodic. It’s not one long, drawn-out singular problem (though there is a mystery that threads the entire narrative), but more the ongoing adventures of Marca NBaro and the crew of the Greatship Athens. If that sounds like a pitch for this to be a television series, it is; I really, really want to see this as a TV show that sits somewhere between Star Trek the Next Generation and The Expanse. Fool of a fool of a fool, Estevar’s mother would have chided him – which was nothing compared to the lashing he could expect to receive from the preposterously young First Cantor when this last stop on his judicial circuit was dealt with and he returned to Castle Aramor. What follows is a delight. The plot dips and dives as Nbaro and her friends try to save the Athens from an unknown fate. In the process, Nbarro works through some of the baggage her early years saddled her with. It is both a familiar structure and a surprising one that works well in Cameron’s hands.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment