276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Gold Label - Pig Oil and Sulphur

£7.25£14.50Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

I've been using it once a week for about a fortnight now, and his legs are always clean and dry with no sign of mudfever.

But the mud in the fields is now really terrible and I'm concerned that the oil is being removed, both by the constant rain and the rubbing action of the mud, which is hock deep in places. Here’s a bit about why pig oil and sulphur work so well together, and what both elements add to a mud based product. I posted about mud fever a while back and got lots of suggestions so I think it's a matter of finding out what works for each horse.

Due to the yellow colouring of the sulphur, it will give white legs a slightly yellow tinge - but fear not! These scabs came up over 24hrs on an area he has never had this before, it spread up and down both hinds. And, as for the name, it was originally used on the skin of pigs, to help keep in it good condition and stop it drying out. Vet said my tb is very sensitive, and the reaction may start digging into the flesh or leaking in the next few days if I'm unlucky it's horrible!

I only used it with the sulphur when they actually had mud fever as it's supposed to help it heal, but once it's all gone pig oil on its own is fine. If you turn your horses out through winter, or they live out in muddy conditions, my top tip is PIG OIL. In these comparatively rare cases the owner is not at fault but if you put non equine lotions and potions on a horse and he has a bad reaction, that absolutely is down to the owner.

Neither of mine have a reaction to it but obviously some horses may and fewer applications might be better for them. Can I ask, when you say you applied it every 6 weeks (as preventative), did you just apply it first off on clean, dry legs then wash it off and re-apply avery 6 weeks? Of course you will occasionally get the horse that reacts badly to an equine product and that is unfortunate. Within about two weeks, there was new hair growth on healthy skin and within about 4 weeks, her legs were fine. im really confused now, pig oil is designed to prevent sun burn on pigs, i use on all my horse various types or breeds for various reasons and never had a problem, they go out in the field in the baking sun and never have they burnt, am i just lucky or have some peoples makes of oil got something else in maybe, ive use for show shine, mites etc have welshie and traditional and none have never burnt, only recently ive use it on my mates coloured show cob in all ths sun we have been having and his fetlocks are fine, infact my own colured had crackes and sores in them before i started using pig oil since ive been using it its gone completley.

Its consistency makes it easy to rub into feathers, to help provide a water repellent barrier between the horse’s skin and the mud.All products are proudly made in the UK and excellent specification quality products are of paramount importance.

Due to all the horror stories I've heard, I was wary of trying pig oil, especially with any sulphur in. Luckily I didn't use the sulphur, I used sulphur shampoo on one leg, he reacted badly and seven months on, the fur on that leg has not grown back properly, he needed numerous vet visits. Apply this versatile oil using the easy spray gun to get a glossy coat, conditioned skin and a create a skin barrier to protect against moisture and the environment. Keep away from it, we had a pony last year whos tail completley fell out and the only thing we ever used that wasnt meant for ponies was pig oil, it caused soreness to others also. I know popping it on then means it will be done regularly without me forgetting and that the legs are always clean enough to do it when planned.

For the horses with feathers I fill up an old washing up bottle, then I can squeeze it onto the skin for the feathers. Rachael is an amateur Event rider from Kent and Bailey is a 7 year old 17hh gelding, and together they go by the name of Eventful Eventing. Does pig oil and sulphur kill feather mites, I know its for horses with lots of feather and mud fever etc but as i have a cob who suffers a lot with feather mites that keep coming back after being treated wonder if its worth trying. Her legs are fine now but it took weeks for her legs to heal :-( I think I will stick with the plain pig oil.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment