276°
Posted 20 hours ago

One: Pot, Pan, Planet: A greener way to cook for you, your family and the planet

£14£28.00Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Instead of the particular recipes, I’ll use the book as a framework and reminder to eat more local veg, don’t have a million things cooking at once (guilty), and try to limit international cooking items - but that’s also hard (and those ingredients aren’t even salient to my cultural identity!) I have made several recipes in this book and they've all worked well and been delicious. I was pleasantly surprised how good this book is, so many cookery books have repeats, fillers, things you make anyway, this just had so many great recipes, ideas and suggestions. Still dedicated to giving us stylish dishes with maximal flavour (think broad bean and green herb shakshuka, and golden rosti with ancho chili chutney), the book is punctuated with palatable nuggets of information: in chapters entitled ‘Planet I’ and ‘Planet II,’ Jones explains how we might combat the climate crisis through small behavioural changes around the way we eat.”— Harper’s Bazaar Bring to the boil, then turn down to a gentle simmer for 25 minutes, to allow the flavours to infuse, adding more hot water from time to time if needed. Strain the broth if you are serving straight away, or if you plan to eat this later cool with the vegetables left in for a more intense flavour, and strain before reheating.

stem ginger 5 balls (75g), finely chopped, plus 2 tbsp syrup from the jar for brushing and drizzling But. Of the entire book of dozens/hundreds of recipes, I only bookmarked one: the lemongrass & tofu larb. None of the other recipes felt like things I wanted to cook as an everyday meal. Lovely sounding flavor combinations, though. Update: And the lemongrass & tofu larb is...fine. Not going into our regular rotation. For the non-vegan cake, melt the butter in a pan, then whisk in the dark brown sugar and chopped stem ginger. Leave to cool slightly, then beat in the eggs one by one, until emulsified. Fold through the dry ingredients and pour into the prepared cake tin.Add the spices to the pan and stir for a couple of minutes until all smells fragrant. Next, add the tinned beans and their liquid, the tomatoes and 400ml (a tin’s worth) of water.

Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 180C fan/gas mark 6. Put the potatoes into a large pan (leaving enough space to add the cauliflower later). Cover with boiling water, add half a tablespoon of salt and bring to the boil. Cook for 15-20 minutes until the potatoes are almost cooked, then add the cauliflower for the last 6 minutes. Drain well. And the supercilious tone of the author was a bit grating. "For the really hungry, some brown or basmati rice here would work, but I eat this just as it is." Oh, you can add a slice of bread if you're ~really~ hungry, but I rarely do. Touting the superiority of jarred beans with a little Barefoot Contessa-style toss of "but canned will do, if you must." But somehow, when Ina says it, it's comforting. When Jones says it, it feels haughty. I’ve read lots of cookbooks and vegetarian ones, and I appreciate the focus on using one pan or one pot not (just) as a method of convenience, but as a much more sustainable option. I’m cheating a bit here, as this isn’t strictly a one-tray dish but more a cake cooked in a tray. It’s my favourite cake of the last couple of years, so I had to find a way to get it into this book. This is such an easy cake, with a double hit of ginger. This way of using the apple to top the cake is inspired by the brilliant cook and writer Anja Dunk. If you are a ginger-lover like me, you could add another couple of balls of stem ginger.

I love the uncomplicated simplicity of the golden broth with chewy udon noodles. You could add seasonal vegetables, too: shredded greens, sugar snap peas, even roast squash, if you like. I eat this when I feel under the weather, and also when I want something satisfyingly warm and straightforward. I could tell before I ate it from the smell, from the bubbling filling and crispy top, that this was going to be everything I had wanted it to be. Grease a deep 23cm square springform baking tin. Heat the oven to 160C fan/gas mark 4. Put all the dry ingredients, except 1 teaspoon of the ground ginger and the dark brown sugar, into a bowl. Whisk to combine. If you are using eggs, push the noodles to the side of the wok and add a little more oil, then the eggs. Pierce the yolks and, when starting to set on the bottom, scramble, then mix into the noodles.

The recipes here are some of Jones’s favourites; in particular, she has a soft spot for the saag aloo shepherd’s pie. “There’s always a few standout recipes in the book that, when you get them out of the oven, you do a little fist pump,” she says. Whip the cream or vegan cream a little shy of soft peaks, then fold in the yoghurt. Add the finely chopped stem ginger and stir it through with the ginger syrup and lemon zest. The perfect recipe for any trimmings post-pumpkin-carving. If you will forgive me a little cooking oil, salt and the optional garnishes, you’ll only need these four ingredients. Serves 4 1 red onion, finely chopped 1 tbsp fennel seeds, plus 1 tsp 1kg pumpkin 1 red chilli, finely chopped Finely chop the red onion and add Read MoreThis is a book worth owning. The recipes are a bit more time-intensive than other vegetarian cookbooks I like BUT they also have more complex flavor profiles. For example, I made the butternut squash lasagna, which had ingredients like olives and lemon zest. Unexpected. But divine. My favorite part of the book was its emphasis on reducing/eliminating food waste. Examples of how to do this are provided throughout the book. I like this and found many recipes I want to make, but not enough to actually buy. This will be one on my repeat-borrow list from my library :)

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment