276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Running on the Roof of the World

£3.995£7.99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Emma Perry is a children's book author, a teacher, the founder of MyBookCorner and organiser of International Book Giving Day. She loves books so much her first two books were about... books! After the publication of I Don't Like Books and This Book Has Alpacas and Bears, she ventured outdoors with two books celebrating being outside - Puddling! illustrated by Claire Alexander, plus Know It Owl illustrated by Andrea Stegmaier. A big part of Tash realising that there's far more going on in the world than she knows is because a man in her village sets himself on fire in protest. And it's brought up several times in the course of the story. But an explanation as to WHY someone might do something like that and an emphasis that it's not something that should be encouraged as a form of protest doesn't come until right at the end of the book. And given that it's a middle grade book, I wanted that stuff to come a liiiiiittle bit sooner. Tash and her family have to follow many rules to survive in Chinese-occupied Tibet. Her parents are involved with the resistance and when they disappear, Tash and her best friend Sam have no choice but to embark on a perilous journey to seek the wisdom of the Dalai Lama. Hello Yellow - 80 Books to Help Children Nurture Good Mental Health and Support With Anxiety and Wellbeing -

Wikipedia articles incorporating a citation from the 1911 Encyclopaedia Britannica with Wikisource reference Tash and her best friend Sam have grown up used to following the rules in occupied Tibet. But when a man sets himself on fire as an act of protest, Tash barely escapes after her house is raided and her parents are arrested. She, Sam and their two yaks set out on a dangerous journey across the Himalayas to reach India and the Dalai Lama, who she hopes will be able to save her parents. With her parents taken away by the soldiers, Tash and her friend Sam must try to make the dangerous journey over the Himalayas and escape to India, where they can ask the Dalai Lama for help... More like 3.5 stars although I think I would have rated this 4 stars if I'd been in the target age group.This story features the conflict between China and Tibet, specifically Chinese oppression of the Dalai Lama's followers.

I’ve been fascinated by Tibet for as long as I can remember. Loved finally reading about it! (Seven Years in Tibet has been staring at me from its spot on my shelf for way too long now.) Thanks so much for your lovely message and for everything that you do with Book Wagon. Yourself and Bob are much cherished in our booky world and I personally really appreciate everything that you do.The British explorer John Wood, writing in 1838, described Bam-i-Duniah (Roof of the World) as a "native expression" (presumably Wakhi), [1] and it was generally used for the Pamirs in Victorian times: In 1876, another British traveler, Sir Thomas Edward Gordon, employed it as the title of a book [2] and wrote in Chapter IX: Join 12-year-old Tash and her best friend Sam in a story of adventure, survival and hope, set in the vivid Himalayan landscape of Tibet and India. Filled with friendship, love and courage, this young girl’s thrilling journey to save her parents is an ideal read for children aged 9-12. Note to Parents: The inciting incident comes when a Buddhist sets himself on fire, known as self-immolation. Students in 8th grade and beyond may have already been exposed to this form of protest, as it was used by Buddhist monks to protest the war in Vietnam, as well, and may be mentioned in the 8th grade Vietnam War curriculum. If your student has not studied this in school, however, or been exposed to it in any other way, this is an excellent teaching moment, and probably warrants a dual-read -- mom or dad on the couch with your kiddo -- to explain and explore while or immediately after reading. I wanted to enjoy this more than I did, and it had potential, but ultimately, it felt rushed and it wasn't the book I was expecting and so I finished it disappointed.

This unique debut novel is perfect for inspiring anyone who, like the dedication says, ‘has ever felt too small to make a difference.’”From the beginning, it had heart and excitement. I knew it would be a winner!’ - Lucy Christopher (Stolen) PDF / EPUB File Name: Running_on_the_Roof_of_the_World_-_Jess_Butterworth.pdf, Running_on_the_Roof_of_the_World_-_Jess_Butterworth.epub the Dalai Lama. Happy presence. Good vibes. A figure to worship in times of distress. But also just a fallible person. Just an all around fascinating character that seems pretty well represented here.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment